Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Users
Covers on preemies

I am, of course, hoping to go to term. However, my DD came at 38 weeks and 6 lbs so I feel I need to prepare in case my twins come early or are tiny. Did any of you use thirsties duo size 1 on your preemies? At what weight did they start working?
Did they let you use cloth in the NICU?

Alanna is Mama to DD Sequoia (8/8/07), DS Callum (12/12/12) DKitties Syd & Emily (4/4/03)
psylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
I used the XS covers when our twins came home (4 weeks, just under 5 lbs). We did not CD in the NICU as we were 800+ miles from home and only brought the essentials. You should be fine with the size 1 as long as they are aplix, so you can get a good fit. Good luck mama!

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Covers on preemies

We used XS white prowraps and XS bummis super brights both are great and we are still using them DD was 10 weeks early (a 30 weeker) she came home after 4 weeks in the NICU at 4.4lbs! she is now 6.9 lbs (last tues) and almost 14 weeks old 4 weeks adjust....she is probably over 7 lbs now.... and still using XS covers and lil joeys rumparooz and grovia AIO XS anf FB XS whew that was a mouthful lol

i'm not fixing typos sorry NAK

OH BTW we did not use cloth in the NICU as we did not know what size she would be coming home, once we knew within a few days of coming home we ordered CDs
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")

Last edited by skyericsson; 06-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Our favorite were the NB Bummis Super Brites. Dd was 4lbs 9oz when we brought her home at five days old. Thirsties were too wide in the crotch and her legs were too skinny. We also liked fleece soakers. Nb fleece "floakers" by a Wahm on here fit great.
SAHM to my Dd(6/08) , Ds (9/12) and foster mom. Always praying for our five former foster kids.
sillyutalktome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Registered Users

I had a great momma make preemie covers they lasted pretty long...but i didnt have many so I would sometimes just use a doubler w a flat
batsilvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

i think the bummis original covers worked best. they are so flexible and tiny. when I had my preemie he was 5 lbs 15 oz but he dropped more and that cover was all that fit. you can easily put a washcloth inside or a preemie prefold. I also rounded the tabs on them cause they were square but scratchy
unassisted, homebirthin mom Had I not birthed children into the world and become a mother... I would not know true love, laughter or insanity.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77

Bummis original covers are by far the best fit on preemies! I also liked Thirsties XS once my twins got to around 6-7 lb, but only the Bummis originals worked as soon as my DD2 came home from the hospital at 5 lb.
Christian WOHMama to DD1 7/07 and twins DD2 and DS 11/11
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote