Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Night time for Newborns

I had tiny babies (5 lb 6 oz and 6 lb 3 oz), and with kids that size, they were sleeping longer stretches at night or waking up to eat but not pooping and not completely waking up although they'd nurse, and so we did need some more absorbent newborn diapers. I was surprised, but ended up loving the kissaluvs size 0... they fit my tiny babies pretty early on, and were equally as absorbent and maybe more so than the newborn goodmamas we had. I also found that for tiny babies with skinny skinny legs, KL0's were better at keeping the messes in the diapers.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2corag View Post
I had tiny babies (5 lb 6 oz and 6 lb 3 oz), and with kids that size, they were sleeping longer stretches at night or waking up to eat but not pooping and not completely waking up although they'd nurse, and so we did need some more absorbent newborn diapers. I was surprised, but ended up loving the kissaluvs size 0... they fit my tiny babies pretty early on, and were equally as absorbent and maybe more so than the newborn goodmamas we had. I also found that for tiny babies with skinny skinny legs, KL0's were better at keeping the messes in the diapers.
How many KL0's would I need?
snorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and does anyone know about the osocozy prefolds I mentioned on the last page?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
jills_mama
Registered Users

Agree that Kissaluvs Size 0s are awesome for the newborn stage. Not sure a real night time diaper is really needed. Usually just a few doublers if they do sleep more. But it seems smaller newborns sleep more but may not need tons of absorbency. Or larger newborns wake a lot to nurse so need frequent diaper changes. So, either way don't really need a full night time diaper.
jills_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I always use a stay dry option for nighttime, no matter the age. I feel like if they are sleeping, they should feel as comfortable as possible, not with soaking wet fabric on them all the time.

I liked the Kawaii pure and natural pockets, a "mini" pocket, with rise snaps, designed to fit 6-17 lbs. It truly does fit a tiny baby and really DOES fit a larger baby up to that weight. I stuffed with small size prefolds. They were perfect for quick changes in the middle of the night too.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did get some alva newborn pockets, so maybe we should try those first. Hmm...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use osocozy prefolds but I've read good reviews about them. GMD is probably better, but I've got the indian prefolds from cotton babies, they are supposedly the same as the osocozy unbleached and I like them a lot - very soft and absorbent according own experiment on my kitchen counter. Don't know how well it works since baby isn't here yet. lol.

I've also got the kissaluv0 and some kissaluv contours, again, I don't know what shape my baby will be so I can't comment on how well it's working out. I've got 12 KL0 and 6 contours. I think that should be enough along with 2 dz prefolds. I had a large baby last time around (9lb 12oz) so I'm not expecting a stick this time either. I've got OS stuff ready for her to grow into.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
parterasd
Registered Users

I have one lonely kissaluv 0 but my LO can still wear it at 4 months, so might be worth investing in a few :-) My baby was 5.9 at birth and I used prefolds exclusively for two months before experimenting with a few more things.

If you think your cousin is open to the adventure of snappi-ing flats, you could get a pack of gmd smalls or even Gerber small flats. Most people dislike the Gerber ones because they are small and not super absorbent but I love them on my small baby.

You are an awesome cousin!
parterasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm currently using disposables at night. DD is six weeks old and certainly doesn't sleep through the night (unlike my older two who were sleeping through the night at this age), but I try not to change her diaper at night unless she poops. She doesn't fit well into OS or small diapers yet, but newborn stuff isn't absorbent enough to hold her for more than a couple hours.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

I think my answer is a little different. With my daughter I just changed like normal because she couldn't tolerate being wet and she pooped every time she ate. So for her I loved AIOs with velcro to make changes in the dark as easy as possible. The old style Thirsties AIOs were perfect for this.
With my newbie now, he could go all night in a wet diaper and not mind and since we co-sleep, him sleeping means me sleeping! For him I use a true "night time" diaper- an sbish OBF fitted with a cover. I don't change him every time I nurse him, just if I hear him poop. So, last night I put him in a diaper before bed (around 8:30 ish) and then didn't change him until 2 when I heard him poop. Then he stayed in that diaper til we got up this morning. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I am grateful for the extra bit of sleep from not getting up to change him all the time, and he doesn't seem to mind at all or have any rash issues or anything.
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote