Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about sunbabies.

Do you like them? Do you hate them? Do they last? Do you use their inserts? If yes, which ones? How are they different from other pocket diapers? My LO has sensitive skin and hates being wet. I'm looking for an easy yet affordable solution and these were suggested to me but I want to know more before I dive in. Thanks.

Advertisement

MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about sunbabies.

I ordered a dozen last month and they arrived just a few days ago. There are things I like and do not like about them - I love their prints and their trimness around the crotch. I also don't love their trimness around the crotch because it's harder to stuff them. I think their MF inserts are about as nice as the other MF inserts although I plan on using prefolds to stuff them.
I say the best thing to do is to buy one or two to try, they are fairly inexpensive and people always seem to be buying them if it doesn't work out for you.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I love them! I bought about 15 over a year ago to round out my stash a bit, and I really like them. I don't use their inserts so I can't comment on that (I use Costco microfiber towels from the auto section to stuff mine- a little more bulky than inserts, but they're so cheap and so absorbent). The sunbaby dipes hold up well. I wash in hot everytime and I give them a little bleach every 6-8 weeks (and have been doing this over a year, mind you) and they're still in awesome shape. I do hang dry. After 16 months of use, I have the following flaws: one diaper that has part of a hip snap missing (the snap still functions though, and I could probably repair it if I was more crafty), and one diaper that has the stitching around the elastic starting to come undone a little (this I could easily fix if my sewing machine wasn't evil). For how heavily I wash and use these diapers (and how cheap they were), I'm impressed. I ordered a few extra to keep on hand to replace ones that wear out.

They're cute, I find them plenty easy to stuff, and the fleece on the inside stays very dry to the touch.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
ktgrok
Registered Users
seller

I like them, they fit well (but run a bit small), are cute, and work. BUT...they don't last. Especially if you have very hot water and/or dry them at all. Both times the PUL died fairly quickly. The first time took about a year, the second time much faster, just a month, and I think that was from washing with VERY hot water (we had turned the hot water heater up to fill my birth pool).

I won't buy them again..the leaks at random times were NOT worth it. A fitted, with or with out a stay dry inner plus a cover is my choice now.

Oh, but if you do get them, don't get the bamboo inserrts. Or the combo ones. they bunch up. The microfiber are fine, and I think more absorbant than Bum Genius ones.

Last edited by ktgrok; 11-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.
ktgrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wondered about the fleece inner, they feel so warm and fuzzy, I wonder how it feels against the bum when it gets wet?
As for stuffing, maybe I'm just not a pocket person. I got some BG4.0 and a RaR but wasn't impressed. I did like the RaR because of the double gusset and how quality the whole thing feels.
I'm still keeping the majority of my Sunbabies to try out pockets in general, maybe I'll like them better later.

The prices on Sunbaby are ridiculous on ebay ($12 new?!), I'd try to find them used here (about $5 ppd used). If you are willing to wait, you can also have them shipped from China for $6 ppd, mine took about 28 days.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep
I love them! I bought about 15 over a year ago to round out my stash a bit, and I really like them. I don't use their inserts so I can't comment on that (I use Costco microfiber towels from the auto section to stuff mine- a little more bulky than inserts, but they're so cheap and so absorbent). The sunbaby dipes hold up well. I wash in hot everytime and I give them a little bleach every 6-8 weeks (and have been doing this over a year, mind you) and they're still in awesome shape. I do hang dry. After 16 months of use, I have the following flaws: one diaper that has part of a hip snap missing (the snap still functions though, and I could probably repair it if I was more crafty), and one diaper that has the stitching around the elastic starting to come undone a little (this I could easily fix if my sewing machine wasn't evil). For how heavily I wash and use these diapers (and how cheap they were), I'm impressed. I ordered a few extra to keep on hand to replace ones that wear out.

They're cute, I find them plenty easy to stuff, and the fleece on the inside stays very dry to the touch.
I'm glad to hear that you find them durable. This is encouraging. Is the inside micro fleece? Do you just was yours once with a double rinse? How long do they take to line dry? Thanks for you help.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrok
I like them, they fit well (but run a bit small), are cute, and work. BUT...they don't last. Especially if you have very hot water and/or dry them at all. Both times the PUL died fairly quickly. The first time took about a year, the second time much faster, just a month, and I think that was from washing with VERY hot water (we had turned the hot water heater up to fill my birth pool).

I won't buy them again..the leaks at random times were NOT worth it. A fitted, with or with out a stay dry inner plus a cover is my choice now.

Oh, but if you do get them, don't get the bamboo inserrts. Or the combo ones. they bunch up. The microfiber are fine, and I think more absorbant than Bum Genius ones.
I don't like the idea of the pul dying only after a month. I don't want to throw money away. Our hot water is pretty hot. When I fill the washer it's steaming like a sauna So I wash my covers in warm water separately.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
I'm glad to hear that you find them durable. This is encouraging. Is the inside micro fleece? Do you just was yours once with a double rinse? How long do they take to line dry? Thanks for you help.
I *think* it's microfleece, but someone with more fabric experience might know for sure.

I do a quick prewash, a hot heavy duty wash, and a double rinse with an extra fast spin.

I dry them in my bathroom (so a little humid and probably not the most efficient place for line drying). I turn them inside out to dry so that they dry faster. It takes about 10-12 hours to dry in the winter and closer to 6 in the summer.

You didn't ask, but my hot water tank is set at 120, so while it's nice and hot, it's by no means boiling.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love my Sunbaby!!! They really have the best fit for snaps that I've found on my ds. Plus the prints are adorable!!!

I wash mine on hot every cycle and bleach every wash...my only issue is one broken snap...but I've had similar issues with other big-name brands too!!

The inner is fleece which I find much nicer than bamboo inners or suedecloth as they both get pilly and the bamboo gets crunchy...even with fabric softener.

I do not use their inserts. I pad fold receiving blankets!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly
I love my Sunbaby!!! They really have the best fit for snaps that I've found on my ds. Plus the prints are adorable!!!

I wash mine on hot every cycle and bleach every wash...my only issue is one broken snap...but I've had similar issues with other big-name brands too!!

The inner is fleece which I find much nicer than bamboo inners or suedecloth as they both get pilly and the bamboo gets crunchy...even with fabric softener.

I do not use their inserts. I pad fold receiving blankets!!
I like the pad folding receiving blankets idea. I picked up a bunch at a thrift shop to use as diapers but LO was too sensitive to the wetness.