Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you get migraines while pregnant?

I am lucky I guess that I get migraine with auras. They tend to not be as severe pain wise from what I've read. It does really, really suck to be at work and all the sudden start feeling funny and lose the vision in one eye. I will usually try caffeine first and then a tylenol if I am having a lot of pain because once the aura goes then my head starts hurting.

I went through a few months in the second trimester where I got them pretty often.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowangel View Post
I have wanted to but i have been either pregnant or nursing for most of the last 7 years...hoq did u get them to let you use the migrainesmeds while pregnant?
Have you you been diagnosed with migraines? If so, there is no reason you should NOT be on them. A Dr has to prescribe the medication (which is safe to use in moderation while pregnant). There is no reason they should deny you medication. I get so sick that I lose weight every pregnancy and end up in the hospital with dehydration and uncontrollable vomiting. My neurologist has had to make it clear that I am to be given certain medications ALWAYS as my migraines can and will get out of hand without them.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
I was on topamax for migraines when I found out I was pregnant (Category D....eep!!) With both previous pregnancies I got migraines constrantly from week 4 to 14, then nothing til lo weans. At the moment, I am on day 4 of another migraine. My neuro prescribed lamictal as preventative and midrin to treat when I do get them. I am scared to take the lamictal til I get an all's well from the Topamax, and the midrin isnt working. So Ive been taking exedrin during the day and some old tylenol 3s at night. Hope I don smoke my liver with all this tylenol!!
I'll look into those too thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read all replies but with my 2nd pregnancy I had to avoid all low grade chocolate.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
ifyousaygo
Registered Users

I don't get the headaches, but I get the auras. I have to pull over if I'm driving and wait 20 minutes for it to pass because I can't see. It's annoying, but I'm very thankful that I don't have the headaches to go with it.

Save 15% on non-sale items at FRUGI, 100% organic and cut for cloth! Use code HARRIET
ifyousaygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
Have you you been diagnosed with migraines? If so, there is no reason you should NOT be on them. A Dr has to prescribe the medication (which is safe to use in moderation while pregnant). There is no reason they should deny you medication. I get so sick that I lose weight every pregnancy and end up in the hospital with dehydration and uncontrollable vomiting. My neurologist has had to make it clear that I am to be given certain medications ALWAYS as my migraines can and will get out of hand without them.
Yes, I was diagnoses with migraines years ago...while in college...after all the scans and everything that rule everything else out. I have never been to a neurologist as they only started getting this bad with my pregnancies and to be honest no one ever suggested I see one until this pregnancy. I wouldn't say they have denied me meds as much as they have strongly recommended that I not take them b/c of their FDA ratings...I guess I'm just trying to figure out what my options are...it's hard dealing with migraines most every day...makes it hard to function KWIM?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
emg86
Registered Users

Yes! Thankfully they haven't been too terrible. My chiropractor definitely helps. I also rub peppermint oil on my temples and on the back of my neck. If it's unbearable I take a sip of caffeine, 1 Tylenol, apply an ice pack on my head and rest. Sometimes a good massage helps as well.
emg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Actually I don't get them while pregnant. I get a minimum of one a month when not pregnant or nursing, but I've had two total since I got pregnant with DD2, and she's 7 months now.

My aunt on the other hand had a migraine that lasted 2 solid weeks. I lived in fear of being pregnant between hearing about that and after hormonal birth control turned me into a vomiting migraine machine for 6 months.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
I am lucky I guess that I get migraine with auras. They tend to not be as severe pain wise from what I've read. It does really, really suck to be at work and all the sudden start feeling funny and lose the vision in one eye. I will usually try caffeine first and then a tylenol if I am having a lot of pain because once the aura goes then my head starts hurting.

I went through a few months in the second trimester where I got them pretty often.
I get the same thing, and caffeine, tylenol, and sleep are my go-to remedies.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post

I get both kinds, auras first usually means a lot less pain and usually no queasiness with the migraine. I can work through those once I'm able to see again (that is a scary thing though!) The kind with no visual disturbances usually cause me to lay on the couch and cry.

Also try taking benadryl. Seriously it helps me. An ice pack on the back of the neck can help, too.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote