Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sheepy Pants pattern question

Hey mamas! I'm a beginner knitter and trying my hand on a pair of longies using the Sheepy Pants pattern... and I'm completely stuck at the split.
For those of you familiar with the pattern, do I go back 3 stitches to pick up part of the gusset to knit the leg (then what happens to the big hole it creates! or am I doing something wrong to create that hole? I've already knitted it and ripped it all out once. LOL!). I'm sooo confused! Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sheepy Pants pattern question

I have knit this pattern twice, so I don't remember it exactly, but I would be happy to try and help. If I remember correctly you pick up new stitches along the gusset, there should not be a hole.
Is this the part you are talking about?
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommagruber View Post
I have knit this pattern twice, so I don't remember it exactly, but I would be happy to try and help. If I remember correctly you pick up new stitches along the gusset, there should not be a hole.
Is this the part you are talking about?
Thanks mama! Is it okay if I copy and paste a bit of the pattern here? It would probably make more sense that way...

So basically it had me do an "extension" for the gusset- so it was 3 rows longer than the rest. Then it says: "You will now switch to mini circular or double pointed needles and begin working on just 1 leg.
Pick up and knit 3 stitches along the left edge of the gusset extension that you just worked, 1 for each round (though, this confuses me too! What does it mean?). Knit around the leg to the front center marker. Remove marker, and bring the front of the pants around next to the back, completing the leg circle.
Pick up and knit 1 more stitch from the front side of the gusset, and knit 1 of the stitches you already picked up at the back of the gusset. Place marker at inseam, and continue knitting around 1 leg." (and this whole paragraph is confusing too! So I bring it around, but then I need to go back and pick up a stitch before knitting it all together?)

SO much of this confuses me! LOL! But I'm assuming it wants me to go back 3 stitches (so starting in the middle-ish of the gusset which is longer than where the leg will start), since it's longer it leaves a gap... or maybe I'm misunderstanding and it doesn't want me to go back 3 stitches at all.

If this isn't okay, please let me know and I'll delete it!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=sheenashine;16095789]

So basically it had me do an "extension" for the gusset- so it was 3 rows longer than the rest.

So, your gusset is a total of 3 rows, right?

Then it says: "You will now switch to mini circular or double pointed needles and begin working on just 1 leg.

At this point you will be working one 1 leg using a 12" circular or double points

Pick up and knit 3 stitches along the left edge of the gusset extension that you just worked, 1 for each round.

Along the left edge of your gusset, (you are working on your left leg) you are going to pick up 3 stitches, (1 stitch for each row of your gusset) Here is a good link with pictures to help you with picking up stitches http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=183
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=mommagruber;16095816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenashine View Post

So basically it had me do an "extension" for the gusset- so it was 3 rows longer than the rest.
So, your gusset is a total of 3 rows, right?
I think it's more, there was a series of KLLs and KLRs earlier on in the pattern... I'm sorry, I'm SUCH a noob! LOL! but there is a total of 10 stitches that are 3 rows longer than the everything else.

Then it says: "You will now switch to mini circular or double pointed needles and begin working on just 1 leg.

At this point you will be working one 1 leg using a 12" circular or double points

Pick up and knit 3 stitches along the left edge of the gusset extension that you just worked, 1 for each round.

Along the left edge of your gusset, (you are working on your left leg) you are going to pick up 3 stitches, (1 stitch for each row of your gusset) Here is a good link with pictures to help you with picking up stitches http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=183
OKay, I had to read this like 10 times- but I think I got it. I didn't know what it meant by "pick up stitches". THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. This changes everything.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Knit around the leg to the front center marker. Remove marker, and bring the front of the pants around next to the back, completing the leg circle.

The wording here is a little confusing to me too, so I hope that I am right when I explain how I read it.
You want to knit around this leg and when you get to the front of it you will remove your marker and join in the round at the gusset to 'complete' the leg

Pick up and knit 1 more stitch from the front side of the gusset, and knit 1 of the stitches you already picked up at the back of the gusset.

You want to pick up and knit 1 more stitch from the gusset, then you want to knit one of the stitches that you 'picked up' when you started on this leg Place marker at inseam, and continue knitting around 1 leg."
Now you want to place your marker ( you should be at the inseam ) and continue knitting around until you get to desired length of the leg.

Did I help you? lol
I hope that I have explained it correctly and clearly.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OKay, I had to read this like 10 times- but I think I got it. I didn't know what it meant by "pick up stitches". THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. This changes everything.

No problem! The link I gave you will help with picking up stitches.
If you run in to any more problems, feel free to pm me and I will be happy to help if I can.
Would love to see your longies when they are finished!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
HaloLady79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Im so glad Im not the only one who got frustrated with this section. I frogged mine over 12 times and then just put it away because I got so mad
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It makes a LOT more sense now. I'm going to rip back a few more rows just to make sure I have a clean start again... but I think I got it now. I really appreciate the help mama!!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloLady79 View Post
Im so glad Im not the only one who got frustrated with this section. I frogged mine over 12 times and then just put it away because I got so mad
Oh I could hug you for this! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! LOL!