Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #71
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Big Mama's December Support Thread

Yay, Kimmie!

Ladies, breakfast is not the meal to skip. It's the meal that sets you up for the whole day. If you have to skip a meal, dinner is the one to skip, as you don't need all the extra energy for sleeping, anyway.

Well, I didn't get on the elliptical today. But, I've eaten well. Had a smoothie for breakfast and chicken noodle soup (homemade, so I know it's healthy) for lunch, with a mini BabyBel cheese (or as my son calls them -- wax cheese). I need to go drink some water, though.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #72
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Yay, Kimmie!

Ladies, breakfast is not the meal to skip. It's the meal that sets you up for the whole day. If you have to skip a meal, dinner is the one to skip, as you don't need all the extra energy for sleeping, anyway.

Well, I didn't get on the elliptical today. But, I've eaten well. Had a smoothie for breakfast and chicken noodle soup (homemade, so I know it's healthy) for lunch, with a mini BabyBel cheese (or as my son calls them -- wax cheese). I need to go drink some water, though.
I can't skip dinner... I eat around 5-6 and don't go to bed until after 10. There's no way I will sleep if I'm starving. I know all the don't skip breakfast stuff... But for now its what I've gotta do to curb the hunger. My coffee has cream in it so I am getting some calories, plus I take my multi vitamin, vitamin sand fish oil in the am. Once i get into an exercise routine and I'm through these first 30 days of no grains I will slowly add some back in and start eating a light breakfast.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #73
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I never eat breakfast. I have not in 20 some odd yrs. I do coffe with creamer, but that is it. I know it is bad, but I am not hungry.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #74
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I can't skip dinner... I eat around 5-6 and don't go to bed until after 10. There's no way I will sleep if I'm starving. I know all the don't skip breakfast stuff... But for now its what I've gotta do to curb the hunger. My coffee has cream in it so I am getting some calories, plus I take my multi vitamin, vitamin sand fish oil in the am. Once i get into an exercise routine and I'm through these first 30 days of no grains I will slowly add some back in and start eating a light breakfast.
Have you read marksdailyapple.com at all? If you are doing primal/paleo, he has some great articles about intermittent fasting-- one pertaining specifically to women.

ETA- Here is the search on his site about fasting: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/searc...s=920j145728j7

Here is the article specific to women: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women...#axzz2ElpZkX7d

Last edited by AmberP; 12-11-2012 at 02:01 PM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #75
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
Have you read marksdailyapple.com at all? If you are doing primal/paleo, he has some great articles about intermittent fasting-- one pertaining specifically to women.

ETA- Here is the search on his site about fasting: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/searc...s=920j145728j7

Here is the article specific to women: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women...#axzz2ElpZkX7d
I haven't. I will check it out though! I'm not really doing a paleo diet per se... I cutout all grains because those are the foods I horribly over eat on. I have no self control on portion or frequency. They are also our most processed foods in the house, and cover a large portion of the desserts. so I became determined to cut them out cold turkey, which is forcing me into eating other foods. I have a tendency to carb load as well, which saps my energy. I have started reading a bit about the history of grains, and have become pretty interested in the gmo aspect of them as we'll. I'm starting to believe they don't have much place in my diet at all from that standpoint. I still have 3 weeks to research it a bit in the 30 day elimination I promised myself. My biggest hang up in the paleo diet is giving up dairy. my favorite foods are dairy and I pretty much hate veggies. I'm training myself into liking them more. I've added broccoli as a real like. Greens and spinach have become tolerable, almost to the like. I like cooked spinach but am finding the weird coating it causes in my mouth hard to tolerate. Carrots and green beans are good. Planning to work kale and cabbage in this week. my veggies have mostly been corn (a grain ) and green beans my whole life. Thank you mom and dad.

Last edited by misskira; 12-11-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #76
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I haven't. I will check it out though! I'm not really doing a paleo diet per se... I cutout all grains because those are the foods I horribly over eat on. I have no self control on portion or frequency. They are also our most processed foods in the house, and cover a large portion of the desserts. so I became determined to cut them out cold turkey, which is forcing me into eating other foods. I have a tendency to carb load as well, which saps my energy. I have started reading a bit about the history of grains, and have become pretty interested in the gmo aspect of them as we'll. I'm starting to believe they don't have much place in my diet at all from that standpoint. I still have 3 weeks to research it a bit in the 30 day elimination I promised myself. My biggest hang up in the paleo diet is giving up dairy. my favorite foods are dairy and I pretty much hate veggies. I'm training myself into liking them more. I've added broccoli as a real like. Greens and spinach have become tolerable, almost to the like. I like cooked spinach but am finding the weird coating it causes in my mouth hard to tolerate. Carrots and green beans are good. Planning to work kale and cabbage in this week. my veggies have mostly been corn (a grain ) and green beans my whole life. Thank you mom and dad.
We still eat green beans (they are mostly pod/veg) and some dairy. If you look through his site, there are 'definitive guides' to everything and how it pertains to paleo/primal blueprint eating. His philosophy about dairy is that if your body tolerates it, it is okay in small quantities. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz2ElpZkX7d It is all kind of information overload. I took a couple weeks and went through most everything I could about it before I decided one way or the other. DH, on the other hand, was sold after a couple hours of me rambling about it =D
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #77
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
We still eat green beans (they are mostly pod/veg) and some dairy. If you look through his site, there are 'definitive guides' to everything and how it pertains to paleo/primal blueprint eating. His philosophy about dairy is that if your body tolerates it, it is okay in small quantities. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz2ElpZkX7d It is all kind of information overload. I took a couple weeks and went through most everything I could about it before I decided one way or the other. DH, on the other hand, was sold after a couple hours of me rambling about it =D
Thank you for the links! I started reading some and will keep reading. Dairy... I usually eat a ton of. Glasses of milk, bowls of cereal, cheese plain and on everything, yogurt, and ice cream. I can't even guess on the # if servings I averaged daily. Now that I'm not eating cereal and I've replaced glasses of milk with water it's seriously down. I haven't had any ice cream because I haven't bought it. I won't even walk down the isle. I'm really battling serious food addiction issues. I'm still eating quite a bit of cheese, but am working that down as I increase the veggies I like. I am eating 2 servings of fruit/day right now too. Usually an apple or a banana since berries aren't in season and are super spendy.

I guess I should also say that my goal is to jump start a life style. I'm not thinking of this as a weight loss diet. I'm really just trying to get used to saying NO to foods I haven't ever said no to before. It's a powerful thing to do, that's for sure. It's giving me confidence in myself. Dh has slipped and offered me some things too, and I've said no to him. I've made the boys pizza and said no. I'm also trying to get used to a more moderate amount of food at the same time. I don't want to go back to over eating. I want a selection of foods to choose from daily that I can maintain a healthy habit of eating. I'm still researching to find out what exactly that should be. I'm not sure what place sugars, grains and dairy will have in my diet.

Sorry for the jumbled mess. nutrition is an area I know very little about.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #78
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just went ahead and weighed myself... I lost 5 pounds since last Tuesday.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #79
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not doing well at turning stuff down. A coworker brought in his amazing homemade Baklava. This is the only time of year I can eat it because he is the only person I've ever heard of who makes it from almonds instead of walnuts and I'm allergic to walnuts. It's so good, but at 300 calories a piece and I ate three peices, ya, I"m sunk.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #80
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
I'm not doing well at turning stuff down. A coworker brought in his amazing homemade Baklava. This is the only time of year I can eat it because he is the only person I've ever heard of who makes it from almonds instead of walnuts and I'm allergic to walnuts. It's so good, but at 300 calories a piece and I ate three peices, ya, I"m sunk.
I am having a hard time too. I ate four chocolate chip cookies yesterday-- my first *real* cookies since February. Yikes. I've also eaten pizza twice in the past two weeks. I'm being the instigator too... =/