Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
sisterrez
Registered Users

Any moms out there with an irregular work schedule?

I'm a retail manager, so my hours are very irregular. Sometimes I work at 8am, other times it's 2 pm, and my days off are never the same. I've got a 4 month old baby, and my fiance stays at home with him. Due to my schedule, we've had a difficult time getting LO on any type of routine or schedule. Any ladies out there with a similar situation? How have you regulated LOs day? Hes in desperate need of a routine to help with naps, but my work schedule just seems to be in the way. Thoughts?

Advertisement

sisterrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
ParamedicMama
Registered Users
Formerly: Rachel**t
seller
seller

Re: Any moms out there with an irregular work schedule?

Haha! There are three "shifts" where I work as a paramedic: 7:30am-4:30pm, 4:30pm-11pm, 11pm-7:30am. You generally work two to four of these IN A ROW. And yes, you are up and awake almost every time.

As far as routine goes, we finally moved in with my mom so the kids aren't bumped around so much with nights and stuff, plus I'm selling my house, so this was a lot easier during showings, etc.. I try to keep their routine the same whether I'm home or not, which means sometimes I don't see the kids for 36 hours straight because I leave before they're up and then I'm not home until they're in bed the next day or something.

My best advice is to grin and bear it and try to keep him on the same schedule whether you're there or not. They do a lot better this way! Thankfully, I'm really close to making a FT income with my at-home job. It'll be so much easier whe I can transition into that!

Be blessed. Don't be discouraged--it won't last forever.

Making an almost FT WAHM income--ASK ME if you want help doing the same!!!!
Life More Simply Blog
ideas, reviews, and giveaways to help you live life more simply in the real world!
October's Heart : my journey out of domestic violence
ParamedicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
epaashaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband and I both worked irregular retail schedules when our first was a baby. We just kept her on the same schedule no matter who was with her.

We just had our second and I'm a retail manager too! This time my husband is going to stay home with the kids (at least for a while) and we plan on doing the same thing. Just wanted to offer some sympathy. Working retail and trying to figure out childcare issues and be with your family with such an unpredictable schedule is so hard! I know what you're going through!
epaashaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I guess I dont understand why there is an issue putting the baby on a routine? Why cant you put one in place and each of you commit to following it? The only thing that Dad cant do is breastfeed (assuming baby is breastfed) but he can do everything else that you can. Four months is when it is more reasonable to get a routine going but that means you both have to commit to a routine and a parenting approach. Perhaps you all have been struggling because baby was a newborn and not that the work schedule is that hard to work around. just a thought. I am also assuming that all three of you are in the same household and baby has the same environment and such, which makes it easier.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
awhitmire
Registered Users

My work schedule sucks, I never know when Im going to get off and every day is a different start time. I work at UPS so it depends on volume of packages
Monday I go in at 10, Tuesday at 1030, Wednesday 11, Thursday 1105 and Friday is 1115, talk about confusing! LOL
awhitmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mon 11 am-2 pm manager duties
Mon 3pm- Tue 9am with clients
Tue 9am-12pm manager duties
Tue 3pm-11pm with clients
Wed 8am-4pm with clients

I chose this schedule so I can get my 40 hours in 3 days. It's the same every week and cannot be change unless I request it
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote