Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b
Becca- at our hospital they're called cuddlers :-)

I wish we could have been with our son more, but we were extremely lucky to have some great nurses. I never walked in to him crying alone in his bassinet, and during one particularly bad night the nurses took nurses holding him for 5 hours straight. He typically would only be awake for feedings so if he wasn't awake we'dlet him be, as sleep and cuddles were most important. He was also lucky to have a space on the end of the row so he could have lotsof privacy with the screens put up.

Our first son also went through withdrawals but didn't have to be hospitalized or medicatedand he's now the smartest kid ever, and such a sweetheart.DS2 is a cuddlemuffin and just is sooooo happy. These kids are true blessings and while I hate that any of these children (not just mine!) had to endure such pain I am so happy they're here!
Cuddlers, that's an appropriate job description. :-)

Is there anywhere that I could read more about caring for drug effected/exposed babies? My husband is leary of foster care in general (sad), and of course we couldn't do it unless we were both fully committed. But in the meantime, I'd really like to learn whatever I can.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: to those that foster drug affected babies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
I don't remember what they were called but there were volunteers like that when my dd was at childrens hospital. There was a 2 year old there and I never saw a parent, he was in his crib (more like a cage with a top ) whenever there wasnt a volunteer there.
They are called Volunteer Cuddlers here too!

I see babies withdrawing almost daily and they are so pitiful. The ones that have family (or foster parents) visiting a lot do tend to do better, have lower Finnegans, etc.
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
terrordactyl
Registered Users
seller

Does anyone know how I could get in touch with a hospital to be a volunteer cuddler, who to call or how to ask ?
terrordactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrordactyl
Does anyone know how I could get in touch with a hospital to be a volunteer cuddler, who to call or how to ask ?
Call an info line for your local hospitals and ask to speak with a volunteer coordinator. They'll be able to tell you if their hospital has such programs. Il
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post

They are called Volunteer Cuddlers here too!

I see babies withdrawing almost daily and they are so pitiful. The ones that have family (or foster parents) visiting a lot do tend to do better, have lower Finnegans, etc.
What's a finnegan?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
WildWestMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you and your baby had to go through this. Bless of those who take in these babies and love them! You are angels!
WildWestMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
What's a finnegan?
Finnegan scale scores withdrawal symptoms such as shaking, irritability, extreme sucking, etc. If a baby scores over a certain number for enough times then they are put on meds for withdrawal.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
earthmama7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most NICU's have these programs. As PP said, you can call the hospital and tell them you are interested in volunteering. They will connect you to the volunteer center. You can ask about it, and if they have that available usually you go in for an interview. Some require a backround check (fingerprinting), and TB check, but it's pretty simple. It was an option for community service at the college I went too.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

They are called cuddlers here too =)
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b
I just want to say thank you. A medication I take resulted in our baby having to deal with withdrawals and a 3 weeks NICU stay. It was heartbreaking but we were educated and knew what to expect. Not that it makes it any easier. We were there to hold and love on our squish every day until he came home. But so so many babies there don't have that kind of love. The majority of babies born with NAS don't come from mothers who take medications out of necessity and therefor they have an entirely different emotional experience (unfortunately the physical aspect is the same regardless ). Seeing those babies crying, myself knowing how much pain they were experiencing, including my own son, just broke my heart. How a mother could do that to her child when she had a choice, I don't know. I feel guilt every day and I didn't have a choice. Knowing that there are wonderful mamas and families that take in these precious babies and love on them like their own warms my heart and I'm honored to know or at least know of the great mamas on here who do so. I know it's not always easy, hearing those shrill cries, seeing tiny babies shake, and spending hours trying to make them comfortable, but you guys volunteer to do so. You are a very special group so, thank you so very much. really.
The problem is, it's not their choice. I know its hard to hear when you see these poor children suffering because their moms where addicted to drugs, but kicking the drug habit is terribly hard.

I foster children and meet the biological parents. I see the pain they have knowing what they've done to their children because of their drugs. One dad wrote his son 'I have problems, but you have a chance'. Ugh it was heart wrenching.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote