Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #81
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: DECEMBER 2012 CHAT THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Why not keep busy at home? Going to a bunch of unfamiliar places places might be overwhelming but offering a variety activities and a loose schedule might be comforting. Just play it by ear. He might just freak out and want to be left alone, thats ok too, kwim? I think thats how I would feel. Be warm but not suffocating and I'm sure you will be fine.
Thanks mama. We are only a couple hours in but he has been super easy. He is full of energy but I expected that. He and my DS have giggled and laughed the whole time so far. We did go to breakfast and he thought that was a lot of fun. The only thing he had a hard time with is our dog. He is really afraid. Not sure what I can do about that besides just ease him into it. We put the dog outside for now so he can get used to the house without being afraid.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #82
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had an almost 1 year old who was terrified of our large dog. The first couple days she screamed in terror if she even saw the dog. Next couple days she only screamed when the dog came near her and then suddenly she decided she liked the dog and even tried to touch her. So I think just gradually easing him in to get used to the dog is a good idea.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #83
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Glad to hear its going well!

Sickness has hit our house. I'm the first one down with influenza. I forgot how awful you feel with this! I've only ever had it once before in my life that I know of.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #84
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb View Post

Thanks mama. We are only a couple hours in but he has been super easy. He is full of energy but I expected that. He and my DS have giggled and laughed the whole time so far. We did go to breakfast and he thought that was a lot of fun. The only thing he had a hard time with is our dog. He is really afraid. Not sure what I can do about that besides just ease him into it. We put the dog outside for now so he can get used to the house without being afraid.
Im glad its going well so far! I agree with gradually reading him into it. Maybe gate him off from the rest of the house while he is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
Glad to hear its going well!

Sickness has hit our house. I'm the first one down with influenza. I forgot how awful you feel with this! I've only ever had it once before in my life that I know of.
Ugh its the worst! The only thing worse than having the flu is having the flu and having to take care of kids that have the flu too! Hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #85
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, I guess this could go as a thread in general parenting, but I know you ladies have taken care of a lot of infants :-) DD3 is 5 1/2 months old. She doesn't sleep longer than four hours at night if that. Is that common? I thought they usually had a longer stretch by now. She is a generally happy, easy going baby. She sleeps well during regular morning and afternoon naps. She is not always all the way asleep when I put her down for naps. She sometimes fusses just a bit and gets herself to sleep. She nurses when she wakes up and goes down to nap/bed which is usually 6-7 times a day /every 2-3 hours. Then at night she was eating close to 8pm/12am/4am/8am. But, lately she is waking up more often. It seems like if I get her than she makes up sooner and sooner. So last night she went to bed at 7, then woke up at 10, then 12, then 1... She doesn't even want to eat again after that short of a time, just suck on me. If I don't go get her sometimes she fusses for awhile and goes back to sleep, but sometimes she cries for quite awhile and I eventually go get her. I feel I am being inconsistent and teaching her to wake up and cry for me. It seems the more often I respond the more often she wakes/cries at night. But, if I let her cry she wakes up all the other kids! And the 4 yr old and 1 yr old with special needs are just a wreck if they don't get enough sleep. Not to mention myself. I just can't function without sleep. Any ideas?
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #86
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

It is very common...babies go through cycles...one week they will sleep through the night and the next be up every few hours. Shoot my friends almost 5 year old still does not sleep through the night! One thing u can try is going in and putting your hand on her back to let her know u r there but dont pick her up....we did this to dd when she was around this age and it worked like a charm! Best of luck

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #87
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymommy View Post
Ok, I guess this could go as a thread in general parenting, but I know you ladies have taken care of a lot of infants :-) DD3 is 5 1/2 months old. She doesn't sleep longer than four hours at night if that. Is that common? I thought they usually had a longer stretch by now. She is a generally happy, easy going baby. She sleeps well during regular morning and afternoon naps. She is not always all the way asleep when I put her down for naps. She sometimes fusses just a bit and gets herself to sleep. She nurses when she wakes up and goes down to nap/bed which is usually 6-7 times a day /every 2-3 hours. Then at night she was eating close to 8pm/12am/4am/8am. But, lately she is waking up more often. It seems like if I get her than she makes up sooner and sooner. So last night she went to bed at 7, then woke up at 10, then 12, then 1... She doesn't even want to eat again after that short of a time, just suck on me. If I don't go get her sometimes she fusses for awhile and goes back to sleep, but sometimes she cries for quite awhile and I eventually go get her. I feel I am being inconsistent and teaching her to wake up and cry for me. It seems the more often I respond the more often she wakes/cries at night. But, if I let her cry she wakes up all the other kids! And the 4 yr old and 1 yr old with special needs are just a wreck if they don't get enough sleep. Not to mention myself. I just can't function without sleep. Any ideas?
My DS has always been this way. He just has never been a good sleeper. He woke every two hours until he was at least 5-6 months and than he would revert back to it every so often. He is 2.5 and it is not uncommon for him to wake up 2-3 times. Sometimes he sleeps through sometimes he doesn't I just go with the flow. He does sleep in our bed though so it makes it hard to ignore him.

I don't have any grand advice but I do have sympathy. I know there are times I felt like I was going to lose my mind and was pretty sure it could be classified as sleep torture.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #88
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They're all different. My first foster was like that and still wakes up at night (according to her adoptive mom) at night at close to 1.5 years old now. My current babe is 4 months and has been sleeping through the night for a long time. Has she started solids? If not, she may need that. I know some people say that doesn't help, but once they get to a certain age, I believe it does.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #89
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd.was like that, thats how we became cosleepers lol! Sorry mama I have no advice. 5 months is so young for cio but I know you don't want her to get get into bad habits.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #90
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
My dd.was like that, thats how we became cosleepers lol! Sorry mama I have no advice. 5 months is so young for cio but I know you don't want her to get get into bad habits.
I know - I don't want her to cry! Although I wish she would go 6-8 hours for one stretch, I can handle feeding her every four hours at night. It's just the 10, 12, 1, 2:30, 3:30, 5:30, 7 thing that I can't deal with. That's just insane. Plus, it's not getting her decent sleep either. We'll figure it out somehow..
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote