Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dry Homebirth, Water Homebirth or Hospital Birth?

DS I had in a hospital with an epi.

DD I had at home, in the tub in under 3 hours and she was even posterior. If we have another I will have another homebirth in a heartbeat!!

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Thanks for the input! So far, after talking to ladies at home and on here, it seems the cards are stacked in favor of a home birth. I like the freedom of a home birth, freedom to eat, drink and do whatever, plus the fact that you're more relaxed. I'm not 100% sold yet, but I'm definitely leaning towards a HB. I'm still not sure whether to do water or dry though. I spent part of the labor with my son in a jaccuzi at the hospital and that helped me dilate a lot, especially since I was having trouble dilating further. Baths and showers do really relax me, but I still need some more info and encouragement. Maybe in and out of the tub for labor and dry for the actual birth...? not sure...

Last edited by *TinyJoys*; 12-04-2012 at 07:35 PM.
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

whatever feels right to YOU. Do your research, be informed, and figure out what's best for you and your family.
I have had three births thus far, all in a birth center. One was 'dry' but I labored in the tub, and two were actual water births. Your body will tell you what it needs during the actual birth so that really isn't something that needs to be decided now. The plan for where is more something to research and decide now.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV
Thanks for the input! So far, after talking to ladies at home and on here, it seems the cards are stacked in favor of a home birth. I like the freedom of a home birth, freedom to eat, drink and do whatever, plus the fact that you're more relaxed. I'm not 100% sold yet, but I'm definitely leaning towards a HB. I'm still not sure whether to do water or dry though. I spent part of the labor with my son in a jaccuzi at the hospital and that helped me dilate a lot, especially since I was having trouble dilating further. Baths and showers do really relax me, but I still need some more info and encouragement. Maybe in and out of the tub for labor and dry for the actual birth...? not sure...
You can't plan it 100%. I was set on a eater home birth. Ended up having him on land and spent less than 2 hours in the water.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

I've had a dry birth center birth and a home water birth. They were both great experiences but I did love the water so we are planning another home water birth. Being home is hands down the best and I wouldn't want to do it any other way. I say do the home birth and decide later or even in labor if you want the water birth. As far as risks for the water I haven't really heard of any. Is it the baby who got an ear infection? For a water birth the baby would/should be all the way in the water not just his face in.

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 2 hospital births, first one a crappy experience and the 2nd a positive one but I still wasn't informed on other options. I hated my babies being seperated from me in the hospital. My first was in the Nicu for a week(past his due date and was unnecessary IMO), then with DD they took her for tests and pictures. Luckily I felt good enough to walk around and follow. I also requested her bath be given in my room(they wanted to take her for that too).
My 3rd was a dry homebirth and I'm planning a water homebirth for my Feb baby.
I had planned a waterbirth with DD2 but was in transition when the midwife got there with the pool. I waited to call her because I wasn't sure if I was in labor, lol! DD2 was born in my bathroom, hands and knees/squatting position on the floor. An overall good experience. So this time I'm getting my own pool. I suggest getting a plan in place for your other Lo. I couldn't relax completely because I felt confined to the bathroom so I didn't wake the kids. We have a shotgun house and we have to walk through the kids room to get to ours. This time I'm more relaxed about the kids watching if they want and feeling more open to do what my body wants. And I love snuggling in my bed with the newbie afterwards. Like pp said, you can't plan everything or know completely what you'll want until your in labor. God bless mama!!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP:/

Last edited by mommycass; 12-05-2012 at 06:53 AM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey
I've had 2 home births. The first was at attempted water birth, but in the heat of labor I didn't like the tub (which is weird, because I'm a HUGE bath person) and ended up having him on our futon. With the second, I decided to go the same route and have him out of water. Both experiences were wonderful. Most people feel that the water helps with the pain, but I found it just wasn't for me. It's worth a try if you'd like to, you could have the tub there and decide in the moment where you want it to happen. It's nice to have options. HTH
This was me. I only had one home birth but had planned a water birth and had the tub but when it came time I gave birth on a futon too

I labored in the tub and out. I went in and out probably 10 times
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #19
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

I'm on my 4th baby right now.
1st baby was in the hospital - dry. 24 hour labor, uncomfortable. However, the doctor and hospital staff made the experience very poor. Wouldn't be that way for everyone.
2nd baby was at home in water. Very relaxing. 7 hours. The doctor from 1st baby had stitched me up too far though, so baby was half way out for 25 minutes which was EXHAUSTING, but if I hadn't been in the water I would have torn for sure.
3rd baby was at home in water. I was in the bathtub until husband had a few inches of water in the pool. waddled to the pool and birthed the baby before there were even 6" of water in it. She SHOT across the pool. lol. This one was kind of dry, but only took 4 hours total.
Had a midwife for all of them which I recommend.
My thing is: now that my labors are so fast and intense....I couldn't IMAGINE driving to the hospital in labor. No thanks. I prefer home 100%.

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #20
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

ps, I am planning a water birth with this 4th one too...but my mw is bringing a birth stool just in case I wanted to try it.

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote