Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Toddler running from you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper Graphics View Post
This gives me hope! My oldest was a little challenging, but NOTHING like my 22 month old. We went to a cabin in the mountains this weekend, and keeping DD2 from running into the street/off a cliff/into the fire was super stressful. We try to redirect, babywear, etc, but she loves to sprint and climb. I'm taking both girls to Silver Dollar City in 2 weeks with my parents without my husband, and I am seriously considering a harness. I used to think "Oh I would NEVER put my kid on a leash", but then I had DD2. Off to amazon to check out the prices now, actually.
I feel this way about my DD, she's a firecracker. She started trying to run out into the street at 8 months old and hasn't stopped since. She's definitely going to be more of a challenge than DS was.

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I say before we go in someplace:

"Stay with mommy/hold mommies, if you run away, mommy will carry you/put you in cart/stoller"

I usually give one or two chances depending. Then when they've been warned they get contained either by carrying, cart, or stroller. I tell them I know they are mad, but they ran away, and you can only walk if you stay with mommy. They figure it out pretty quick. But they're toddlers, so they're never perfect.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep the contained as much as possible, even when I go out with my 3 (5, 4 and almost 2) and the little boy I babysit (16 months) I get a car cart at the grocery store and put the 3 youngest in there, and then my 5 year old has to stand right next to the cart, sometimes with his hand on the cart if he is not keeping up.

Whenever possible they are worn, in carts or strollers and if not then holding hands. Only 5 year old and *sometimes* my 4 year old are allowed to walk anywhere at all without being contained by holding a hand. By the time they are old enough that I let them walk on their own, they are so used to be right with me, it's not an issue.

My toddler may want to walk, but I don't let her unless I am sure that I can hold her hand the entire time. Otherwise, it's just not even an option as it's too much temptation to run or get into things.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Totally 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or whatever the leash. We are working on "parking lot rules" with our now 2 year old and he is starting to get it, but he wants to run and explore things himself so we will be using the leash in all places he can't just be running on his own. DH took the boys to the children's science museum today and let him run free, but most other places he will be close by.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I warn before we get out of the car, first offense is the only offense. He goes into a cart/stroller/carrier kicking and screaming if need be. He has gotten much better about staying close now because he wants to walk.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Babywearing, leash, stroller, cart, whatever it takes. Babywearing is my preferred method of dealing with it when DS2 is in a running mood. He may scream going up, but once up, he usually happily settles down. I used a leash on DS1 after an accident where I was on crutches, and could not babywear, use a stroller, or a cart.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We talk before about having good listeners and what is expected. Our rule is you have to ride in the cart or have your hand on the cart at all times (unless Mama is asking you to do something). She likes the freedom of being able to choose where to hold on the cart.

I get down on her level every so often at the grocery store and tell her how proud I am of her listeners. I also ask her to get things she is allowed to get (crackers, boxed items... basically anything she won't break) so she is going out and back again. She gets one reminder in the store. If she doesn't listen a second time, she goes in the cart and her younger sister goes in a carrier.

I remind again before we go back to the parking lot. There are NO reminders in the parking lot. It is so dangerous.

When we get to the car, she either has to stand between the car and me while I am buckling younger sister in (if it is cold or windy) or I put her in the car first.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS1 was a sprinter! He would run off constantly. I used to think the leashes were cruel, after having him I totally got it!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never gave them the opportunity. I wear when they are too young to understand, and when they are a bit older (2.5 or 3 years old) I hold their hand. ds1 at 5 doesn't need hand holding anymore and will walk next to me in the parking lots. In the store, even if I'm getting 2 things, I use a cart for the youngest.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

We totally warn once in the store then into the shopping cart they go. My son likes to be held and I won't reward him for misbehaving so we don't wear him anymore (also he's 30 pounds and I'm pregnant). My son is never allowed to walk in the parking lot and DD is holding my hand the entire time. About 2 1/2 is when DD consistently listened but still has her moments and has to go back into the shopping cart.