Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My first 2 were like this. They only slept on my chest for a couple of months.
I thought they were just high needs.

When number 3 came along he spit up huge amounts all the time. We cut dairy and he was night and day.
I finally had a baby who slept and could be put down asleep and stay that way. A happy content baby.

Advertisement

mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleep training

I am not against sleep training, but 5 weeks IS too young for sleep training. What you are describing IS sleep training. Before attempting it, you should wait until she is 6 months at least and read Dr Ferber's book first. There are MANY misconceptions out there about what is suggested.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

just read the OP.

personally, I believe in what's called the '4th trimester', which is the first 3-4 months of life outside the womb. Babies go from this environment where they're constantly held 24/7 and food is available on demand, etc. And we take them out of our bodies and expect them to quickly adjust to being put down, etc.

I don't think any sleep training is a good idea before the end of the 4th trimester and I believe that it's impossible to spoil a newborn with being held.

So, I would hold the baby, cosleep, whatever you gotta do.

Now, you could most definitely watch the 'happiest baby on the block', which I highly recommend and it will tell you very gently ways to make your baby feel like they are in the womb when they are not - heartbeat machine, swaddle, swinging (on high, not low), pacifier, etc.

I do understand where you are - exhausted, etc. The Happiest Baby on the Block helped us immensely.

but to cry it out? for even 5minutes? that's definitely too young in my book.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
pacanova
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
If she's more comfortable on her tummy she may be having tummy troubles. Both my girls slept on me til about 3 months
I'd wondered about that/silent reflux but she does fine lying on her activity mat, changing table, etc. She just won't fall asleep/stay asleep unless she's being held (or in a moving car). I've pretty much cut out caffeine other than the occasional chocolate. I'm not a coffee/tea drinker and didn't have pop often anyhow. Might try dairy next to see if that helps.
pacanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
pacanova
Registered Users
seller

Thank you to the ladies who posted articles etc about sleep training, CIO, etc. I'd read an article (maybe misguided) that indicated it was important to establish healthy sleep habits from the start. One of the first things recommended was putting baby down to sleep while still slightly awake. My LO will only fall asleep if held and doesn't always stay asleep once set down. Neither of us is getting much sleep because of this. I was only looking for tips on getting her to go down/stay asleep better. I think my question was poorly worded and I take responsibility for that (but blame sleep deprivation a little). Sorry if I offended anyone. I wasn't looking for controversy and honestly didn't realize that even the 5 minutes constituted CIO. Our ped had said at our last appt that sometimes babies just cry and it's ok to walk away and let them cry for a bit as long as they're safe (assuming they're not crying because they're hungry, in pain, etc). I obviously do not want to do harm to my child. For those who offered suggestions, thank you as well. Have a wonderful night mamas!

*Reposting this in OP as well because I know when threads get long people tend not to read all of the posts.*
pacanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanova View Post
Thanks ladies. DD hates her car seat and will tolerate the bouncy seat and swing for about 10 minutes (and really only when the swing swings front to back, not side to side). The swing actually wakes her up (we've tried different speeds with the same result). Happiest Baby was a godsend w/ODD but while it quiets my LO when she's fussy, she also seems more awake when doing it so it doesn't help with the sleep issue. Counterintuitive I know. She seems most comfortable resting on my chest and does great with tummy time (super content on her belly). Maybe once she's consistently rolling over we'll try letting her sleep on her stomach to see if that will help (and not until then).

Might just have to ride this out until then. 13 years from now I won't be able to roll her out of bed with an air horn.
Haha, that is what I am telling myself, too!

Maybe I misunderstand, so ignore this if that is the case, but will she stay asleep if laid on her tummy? If so, then look into this mattress pad so you can safely tummy-sleep her before she can roll over: http://www.babymattresscovers.com/ We have one on our crib mattress as well.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #27
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
5 weeks is far too young. You cannot "train" a 5 week old. All you can do is break her trust in you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8636950.stm
Break her trust in you? For the rest of her life? That is pretty loaded and a scare tactic. Please be nice to this tired mama.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #28
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ill come back to this thread soon for my next baby, great advices here! Thank you!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't read all the other suggestions, but one good book I've read on sleep habits is Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Marc Weissbluth. It helps you better understand a baby's sleep cycles and habits...I think it gives really good information.

We never did CIO, not even for a minute. We did whatever it took to get baby to sleep (bouncing, nursing, rocking, etc.), and then we put them down to sleep. My oldest would wake up right away many times...she was a horrible sleeper, and had to sleep on someone for the first several months. She started to become a better sleeper around 8 months once we got her day time naps figured out. It was an exhausting time, but she turned into a great sleeper around 2 years old.

My younger DD was a much better sleeper from the start, but we still put her down only when she was sleeping.

Last edited by rverrone11; 12-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #30
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My yds was like that and then something magic happened at 6 weeks and I could set him down to sleep. I actually wait to put him down until he is totally asleep, mostly b/c it works out better for us right now. I also co-room and co-sleep for parts of the night. I do this b/c I'm lazy and it allows me to get a little more sleep than I otherwise would.