Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any other families doing this?

We do gifts for the kids, gifts for nieces/nephews (there are 6) and gifts for parents. We don't do gifts for siblings. Now that my son is 8 I have him help buy at least part of the presents for his grandparents. I probably spend $10 or less on each niece/nephew and $15 on each of the parents. Then I have a budget of $50 each to spend on my kids. But, I do shop all year long so it helps so I don't feel that sudden loss of money. I'm usually able to be under $200 for Christmas.

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #22
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we are super strapped for cash this year too. Only bought gifts for our daughters. Struggling to come up with money for a Dirty Santa gift our families are doing instead. Oh well.....I could care less....just want my girls to be happy.
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #23
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yap,. we also do this. I think that is just okay, because it is better not to give out gifts than to have no budget after christmas. Getting together with some food to share without gifts is already enough. happy holidays!
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #24
kanga1622
Registered Users

My side the kids get gifts until they turn 18. DH's side the kids get gifts until they turn 13.

Sounds really good except that we don't see any of the kids on DH's side except at Christmas (his cousin's kids). I really wish we could convince them to limit it to only nieces/nephews get gifts.

We decided this year to skip getting gifts for my nephew's kids. We just have to start drawing lines and realize that the stress of Christmas presents isn't worth it.

I truly wish we could skip gifts for everyone and just spend time together. That is the whole point of Christmas for me - family time.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #25
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
In my family, my parents buy for everyone. Even people who come as a guest to lunch that day. Me and my brother don't exchange, I don't buy for nephews and niece and vice versa. My mom goes overboard and there's no need. I don't think he's bought his own kids gifts in several years. I have asked my mom to do a kids only rule (under 18) and she won't. She says she can't NOT get her parents something.... It makes it awkward for no adult to buyout another and have her do it anyway.

But we don't spend Christmas there anymore. We live out of Tate so I don't worry about it.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #26
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

We stopped getting most people presents a few years ago. It's not a money issue I just don't feel it's necessary. I don't care about receiving presents at all. I could personally never get another gift in life and be just fine. Christmas to us is more about spending time with family and warm wishes. So we send cards, we send little trinkets or cookies but basically just buy for our kids. We don't even really get each other anything. If I want something then I just buy it myself. I don't need any more junk or stuff I don't really want just to have a gift so I assume others feel the same. I know they don't all, especially the in-laws but I no longer care what they think about it.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it's just fine to not give gifts. People shouldn't expect them anyhow.

We do give gifts, but it's because we can and we want to and the gifts are small. I think if we skipped a year the world would still continue to spin just fine.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #28
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have moved to only buying for kids also. We do buy for nieces and nephews as well as our closest friends daughters. It adds up and with my kids getting older...toys get way more expensive so we are able to get less for them each year. This year I did score free photo calendars for the grandparents...otherwise, they wouldn't get a gift..lol.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have always just done our kids, nieces, nephews, each other, my parents, an my brother/ sil, and sister.
This year we are only doing for our kids, nieces and nephew.
Every one is beyond strapped for cash this year, so we are all on board with the plan.
I will say though, I feel so guilty not buying my parents a present this year!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do two gift exchanges- one for adults (my parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents) with a $20 cap and one for all the kids (my nieces, nephews, and cousins kids) with a $10 limit. So I spend $50 at most there. This year dh isnt going to do my family's exchange so its even less. We send homemade granola and jelly to sil and a $10 picture calendar for my m/fil. So if my dh had stuck to ds's budget we would have done gifts for $110. Still lots of presents to be opened but everyone has to be on board for an exchange to work.