Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Any other families doing this?

We don't buy gifts for family...we only buy for DHs mom and dad cause they do so much for us. I wish my family would STOP buying us stuff. We hardly see them and they know nothing about us, so they get us stuff we don't need. we don't have money to buy for everyone, and no one needs things. My family says we aren't going to exchange gifts, and then we get to my grandma's and everyone bought everyone really

Mommy to Emma 10-11-2008 and Madeline 7-24-2010
Join me at CROWDTAP
jenbengtson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
Registered Users

We buy gifts for the kids--our kid and our nieces and nephews. Dh and I don't do gifts for each other, and we don't exchange gifts with our adult siblings. We try to get our parents a token of appreciation (a bottle of wine, a framed picture), because they get a lot of stuff for dd (clothes, lessons, etc.) that we couldn't otherwise afford.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:

We are doing gift bags for the kids this year. We will do our own family xmas, but we all go to my sister's for xmas eve and there are 9 kids this year, usually 13, so instead of big gifts, we are doing gift bags with little items (stickers, temp tattoos, socks...ect).
I didn't get anyone else a big gift.
Ariana Armando
{M.o3'} {E.o5'} {C.o9'} {S.12'} {D.14'}
.o8 .13
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #34
Registered Users

This year, we let our siblings know well in advance that we would not be buying for our nieces and nephews this year and would be shopping just for our 4 (with #5 on the way) and our parents and asked that they refrain from buying for our children as well.

Honestly, we have 9 nieces and nephews (and more on the way), and it really was to the point that the stress of the money was overshadowing the joy of the season and just spending time with family.
Lucky Mama to 5
old DS feedback
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #35
Registered Users
We decided two years ago that with 10 children in the extended family (plus two on DH's side) we just can't afford to buy gifts for all the nieces and nephews. So we all just buy for our immediate families and our parents/grandparents. Then we all usually end up baking goodies for each family and have way too many sweets leftover lol.
Mama to two precious boys: (12/07) (07/10)
Honeybee1999 is offline   Reply With Quote