Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
How to start in middle of year?

If I can get dh on board, how difficult is it to start in the middle of the year? 3rd grade?

Romance Parties By Paula
.. )) -::-. .)) Phone 870-321-2138
((. .. see what -::- Email:
-::- ((.* the buzz is all about.... check out my facebook
peverroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How to start in middle of year?

I don't think it would be too hard. I have several friends that start their child's school year in January because developmentally that is where they fall. I would just use the next several months learning your child's learning style and your teaching style rather than jumping right in with a full fledged curriculum. There are lots of free online sites, books available at the library and Barnes and Nobles as well as teacher stores that you can get some different ideas from. I would also research deschooling, as your child will likely need some time to adapt from the classroom to being at home.
Daughter of the Risen King, Loving wife to Joe,

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Registered Users
We just pulled my ds from 4th grade ps and started hs. Is it hard, yes..., but it is also good and was the right thing for our family. It has had a learning curve for all if us, and still does. He has adjusted really well though, overall.
christenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How to start in middle of year?

we started hs'ing in the middle of fifth grade. I just pulled ds out without anything concrete planned.
find out from your local school district what kind of paperwork you need to take care of. beyond that, take a deep breath and go slow in the beginning. it doesnt have to be hard. for me, I just kept in mind that ds would be learning more even if all we did was talk and read and shop and cook and garden and play than he was learning in school.
slowly, I got to 'know' my child. I learned how he liked to learn, what he wanted to learn and what goals I had for him. slowly, I pieced together our curriculum. I made some mistakes along the way, bought too many books, but overall it was ok. this was last year.
now we have a better handle on things and its going a bit more smoothly in terms of 'accomplishing'.
my only regret was not pulling him out of school sooner.
you can do it!
NYAmy is offline   Reply With Quote