Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
FIAR--who is using/used--love/hate?

I have spent a lot of time and money collecting the majority of books for the spine of this curriculum and so far we have rowed 2 books. I really really want to LOVE this curriculum but I feel like it is SO MUCH work.....and I"m not sure I have this much time to commit to it.

My questions are:
1) Did you start with BFIAR and work all the way through...
2) What other subjects did you routinely "do" along with the FIAR...
3)How much time per day/week/total days to you spend on each book (on average)
4) Did you stick with it? If so why/why not?
5) I"m wondering with DS (9) if I should start with Vol 1 and work though so we can be sure we don't "miss" anything?

I need to really make up my mind if I am going to stick with this. I started the year with 3 students on 3 different levels, I quickly realized that for DD (11) that Beyone FIAR is a good "review" but I don't think it will benefit her a lot because we are starting at such a late date. DS (9) I started with Vol 2--he enjoys it and has retained alot but the work load I was expecting might have been to much?? and DS (4--now 5) we have started with BFIAR and tag along little brother 2, and they enjoy it and I love the idea of starting from the very beginning with them and going from beginning to end.

I really need some advice here, I"m struggling and want to start the new year fresh...

Advertisement

Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: FIAR--who is using/used--love/hate?

We did FIAR for K and it was perfect for that stage. You don't HAVE to do the lapbook a or anything like that. A large majority of FIAR can be done conversationally. I wouldn't do it for much older.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
elizabeth429
Registered Users
seller

We are using BFIAR for preschool with DD and DS tags along. I really love it, in fact we're on a Christmas break and I'm already looking forward to getting back to it. We plan to continue it for the next year or so at least, and then we'll reevaluate our needs.

Keep it as simple as you need/want it to be! I truly believe little ones retain much more than we think, and we don't always need to go over the top with everything (although I find it hard myself!)

How I plan BFIAR: I make a master list of all the cute activities or learning information that I would love to go over in the best case scenario, including the conversational ideas from the book and things I find on Pinterest and blogs such as art activities, snack ideas or field trips. Everyday we 'row' the book I read the story and then choose something off the list. If we're having a stress-free day, I'll do two or three activities, if it's busy, we may only choose the conversational ones. It's totally ok if I don't get to everything on the list, because if I re-row the book with my younger DS or future children, I already have a list of ideas that we didn't get to that I'm sure my older DD would love to join in on.

It's definitely not for everyone, and I'm not sure that we'll continue with it once we're doing K/1st grade as I may desire a most structured plan, but we're really enjoying it right now!

GL with whatever you decide

Our Blog: Small Hands Inspired.
elizabeth429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
elizabeth429
Registered Users
seller

I forgot to answer your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post

My questions are:
1) Did you start with BFIAR and work all the way through...
Yes, we're starting with BFIAR.
2) What other subjects did you routinely "do" along with the FIAR...
My academic oriented preschool DD does reading (AAR pre-level 1), math (either Singapore Essentials A or just hands on 'living' math) and occasionally handwriting when she asks for it (HWOT). But my DD is young, and I we're only doing it when she asks, but that is often. I don't think DS will be nearly as interested
3)How much time per day/week/total days to you spend on each book (on average)
usually about 1 hour around 4 days a week.
4) Did you stick with it? If so why/why not?
We've only been 'rowing' for about 7 months, but we do plan to continue.
5) I"m wondering with DS (9) if I should start with Vol 1 and work though so we can be sure we don't "miss" anything?
Not sure, but we do have Vol. 1 and there are some great books in there that I am looking forward to doing.

Our Blog: Small Hands Inspired.
elizabeth429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
cbreeding
Registered Users

I did do BFIAR and this year for Kindergarten moved to FIAR. Most of it I do conversationally. I will check out books from the library pertaining to the topics but I will only go through them if DD is interested. Also, we will look up youtube videos or other things on the internet based on the book. Lapbooks/Notebooking are not for me, at least not right now.

I do not do the books in order, rather I go based on subject matter and how it fits into our life. For example, in February our Nature Center is doing a homeschool class on owl pellets. That week I will row Owl Moon.

The actual FIAR lessons and activities take at the most an hour but usually it's 20-30minutes.

I add the following: Math (RightStart), Spelling (this has helped wonderfully with reading as well), Handwriting, Logic, and Writing. I do Math and Spelling 3-4days a week and the others I do once a week. DD is interested in all of this otherwise I would hold off on adding so much.

Personally, I am an eclectic homeschooler and FIAR fits my teaching style really well. It has been a gentle introduction to school, making our story time more focused without dramatically changing what I have been doing since I started reading to her.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you mama's for your input. I think my problem might be that I"m trying to do TO MUCH, very much my personality I am trying to do the FIAR and every other subject everyday , along with every cute thing I see on a blog or pintrest as well.

We are going to be heading out for a long road trip to BIL's house the day after Christmas so I"m gonna pack my FIAR manuals and take that time to make a list and break down each book and what we wan to cover for each row.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
growingmichaels
Registered Users

I switched to FIAR this year and love it. In the past we have had a tendency to take a lot of rabbit trails, so FIAR is great for us in this aspect. I have a preschooler, first grader and third grader. Most of the books we all do together. The first half of our day is spent on FIAR. We don't always do everything in the manual...don't feel like you have to. I also don't think it's necessary to start at the beginning of volume 1 and follow through. All of the books are great. I tend to pick a book based on their interest, the time of year, etc.

Also, I got beyond FIAR and have started it with my 9 year old. He is my big reader. Beyond FIAR is chapter books. Right now he is working on a biography on Thomas Edison and he has LOVED it! I will say, though, there is more planning that has to go into those.

There is a Five In A Row group on facebook. It's a great place to get ideas from other moms.
growingmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote