Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:
need impressions on our name pick

We are 90% decided on our little guy's name, but since we don't announce it to anyone (and I mean ANYONE) until the kid is born mainly because we don't want people to chime in with their opinions, we find ourselves in a pickle... In this case, we would like to have some idea of what the world will think of his name, but keep our secret, so here goes:

William Adventure

our last name starts with "H", 2 syllables.

We have already a Lucas Isaiah, a Samuel Noah, and a Nathaniel Moses. We like names that are Biblical and shortenable, and that have a personal reference for us. (Luke Skywalker, teehee, Samwise Gamgee, both heroes, and Nat King Cole, who recorded "our" song) For the 4th little guy, we feel our theme is kind of spent, because DH's family is filled with boys who have Biblical, shortenable names, and there's no small number on my side. "William", though, is classic and shortens beautifully to "Will," which we both love. "Adventure" is because, since he won't have a specific reference (although there are many heroic Williams in history), we (mainly I) thought it would be cool to give him a cool, secret middle name. He will be born in the shadow of 3 older brothers. Plus it sort of expresses how we embrace testosterone around here. Thoughts? Be gentle; I am as pregnant as you are TIA!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: need impressions on our name pick

Adventure is an awesome middle name!! I like Will or Wills too but NEVER Willy That name theme thing really bites you in the tush when you have lots of kids. We had a hard time for this LO too. We had a list of girl names and he is not a girl
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love William. Hmmm on Adventure. If kids do find out the middle name; kids can be cruel. And if you get mad and use his middle name in front of other boys.... Also think about what the initials spell W.A.H. (wah, like crying; or wah, like what?kids can be cruel but if it's a super secret middle name, go for it)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I like it!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtRpies View Post
Love William. Hmmm on Adventure. If kids do find out the middle name; kids can be cruel. And if you get mad and use his middle name in front of other boys.... Also think about what the initials spell W.A.H. (wah, like crying; or wah, like what?kids can be cruel but if it's a super secret middle name, go for it)
We thought of these things, too, but not sure any is a dealbreaker, We home school our kiddos so far, and we aren't in the habit of using all 3 names for scolding. I have actually tried it a few times lately with #3, but it feels kind of forced
made4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love it! I <3 Liam for a nickname for William. Adventure is just pure awesomeness!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

I think it's great. If you were wanting to do Adventure as a first name or had an odd first name as well, I might try to deter you from Adventure, but with a strong name like William as the first name, I think it's fine! As far as how the name flows... it's not the SMOOTHEST... William Venture is smoother... but I think it's fine enough. And just for reference, I'm not super adventurous with names... and I still don't think it's a bad name. I don't think people will give you too bad of responses, if any.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DDC. . .I like it! If this baby was a boy he would have been William Conqueror So its right up my ally. We boys with the middle names Victory, Diligence, Artorius (means Noble Strength).

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

I love it! You can get away with much more if it's just a middle name.
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't care for it and would bet your extended family won't care for it either based on the shared love of Biblical names. There are so many Biblical names to choose from that there should be no shortage, despite everyone using them. That said, as a first name, I would really have tried to dissuade you. As a middle name, it is more acceptable to have "non-name words". I don't really like non-name words used as names (think Story, Lyric, Danger, Cannon, etc.) but am a fan of a few animal names like Fox. It is VERY different from your other children's middle names, but if you and hubby like it, some people disliking it should not be reason enough to change your minds. With a non-traditional name, you do have to have some level of thick-skin and not care too much about what others think about it.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote