Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Sharing your food with the kids

It really depends.

They get to eat however much they want at mealtimes, but the rule is, once you say you are done, you're done. Esp if you then have dessert. Dessert is the END of mealtime. So, we tell them to be completely sure they are full before they have dessert b/c after dessert, they will not eat anymore. (until next meal/snack)

But if they eat everything I've given them and are still hungry, I always make more food for them. I never deny them food when they are asking IF it is during mealtime.

Sometimes, they eat their lunch, and then I sit down and they want whatever I have. I typically feed them first, then myself.

If they just nibbled and picked at their food and fussed around, no I usually do not share. They had the chance to eat and they didn't. If they cleaned their plate, and they are still eating at the same time I am, and have not finished, yes, I share a bit or two, but not more than that. If we're all eating together, they finish all their food and then go after my food, I offer to make them more of their own, rather than them eating mine. If they decline, no I don't share. If they say yes, I get up, make more for them, put it on their plate, and they eat theirs and I eat mine.

...guess I never realized how particular I am about this!

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'll ask if they want some, that is unless they have food sitting there that they asked for and then didnt eat, and make enough for those who want some.
But if they say no and change their mind, or if they have lunch sitting there uneaten, I don't share. I don't take the time to sit down and eat often enough. So when I do, I claim that time to sit and enjoy a meal.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We all eat together so I've never had that problem, but I'd share or grab them a quick snack or something.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama
No I don't share. DD's notorious for getting daddy to give her breakfast when he gets up with her, and then bugging me for mine when I get up a little bit later. She will snack all morning if I let her and then not eat lunch. If she's not bugging me for my breakfast, she's bugging me for a snack while I'm trying to eat. I'm trying to teach her to respect the fact that I am not a short order cook and I am not going to stop eating my hot cereal and let it get cold because she suddenly decides she NEEDS a snack. Most other meals we eat together so I don't get that I want yours not mine.
This is exactly my four year year old. To a T!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

yeah I even share with my teens...food is better on mom's plate! Also we are grazers. I made dinner every night, but we graze throughout the day...doesn't bother me at all. My toddler will eat pepper slices and fruit, hummus, etc and not eat as much dinner, but he was eating healthy, so I don't care what *time* he was eating, just that he was eating.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't share meals cause we all eat together, i do share snacks, cause my they wont leave me alone if I don't give them a little bit
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
yeah I even share with my teens...food is better on mom's plate! Also we are grazers. I made dinner every night, but we graze throughout the day...doesn't bother me at all. My toddler will eat pepper slices and fruit, hummus, etc and not eat as much dinner, but he was eating healthy, so I don't care what *time* he was eating, just that he was eating.
This is us too. We eat a breakfast (eggs, toast, yogurt, fruit) then we graze on healthy foods until dinner. We then have a small bedtime snack about an hour or so later.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Yes but it usually with my youngest. He a little hog If i have something he crawls straight to me
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote