Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to handle Maternity Leave

you can still file for FMLA anyway. i only took 3 weeks off with Dd1 but i had to file for FMLA.

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to handle Maternity Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22sofar View Post
Are you a tenure track, phd professor? This sounds kind of strange to me, but then again I am in Canada. I have worked in the university for a long time, just finishing off my phd now (I hope). I have never heard of it being the responsibility of the prof to find a replacement for any kind of leave (including sabaticals, etc.). Our maternity leave is quite different here (most take a year), but it is up to the administration to find coverage for staff when they are on leave. I think you have done what you can-provide them the contact information of the interested candidate and wish them well. I would be shocked to find out it was your responsibility.
No just full time faculty. I get the feeling that it is not supposed to be my responsibility and my boss is making this all up as she goes along. I have NO idea how to find out what the procedure is and no one at work seems to know either.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Contact the human resources department of your university and also your union rep. HR is trained on this, surely you can't be the first employee to go maternity leave at your school.

Who knows what nonsense your dept. head believes. I've never heard of anyone being responsible for finding coverage for mat leave. Plus, you've actually tried and they've rejected your candidates.

Fmla protects your job for a period of time when the business has a certain number of employees but it doesn't require them to pay you. I'm using vacation and sick leave to get through my leave.

Last edited by AniMommy; 12-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote