Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Alaura5
Registered Users
seller

I consistently measured ( with a tape measure, never ultrasound) 2-3 weeks behind from about 35 weeks on, and actually there was no change for the last 2-3 weeks and I think the largest measurement was about 36-37. My son was born at 41+2 and weighed 8lb 6oz. I'm also tall, though (5'10") so that might have made a difference.

Advertisement

Alaura5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always measure small. And have 7lbers
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Meaured small, but had big baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaura5 View Post
I consistently measured ( with a tape measure, never ultrasound) 2-3 weeks behind from about 35 weeks on, and actually there was no change for the last 2-3 weeks and I think the largest measurement was about 36-37. My son was born at 41+2 and weighed 8lb 6oz. I'm also tall, though (5'10") so that might have made a difference.
Yes, I'm talking with the tape measure. Haven't had an ultrasound since 20 weeks. My midwife isn't concerned or anything - he's been growing consistently and she says 2 weeks small is fine, as long as it isn't more than that. I'm just curious about experiences like yours. I'm not tall though - 5' 4".

I know I just have to wait and see, but I'm so terribly curious about how big this baby boy will be. I'm not patient!

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I measured 2-3 weeks small at some point with all 3 of mine.

#1 was over 8lbs 11 days early
#2 was nearly 7lbs at 3.5 weeks early
and #3 the told us to expect a baby in the 5lb range just days before I went in to labor at 37 weeks, she was 6lbs 7oz

So not huge babies, but pretty big for their gestation and for measuring small.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

This is kind of a two part question. Do you mean the mom measures small, or the baby measures smaller and ends up bigger?

I measured right along where I was supposed to be with DS. They estimated him at 7 - 7 1/2 lbs and he was born 10 days early at 8 lbs 15 oz. Those estimates can vary a lb in each direction on average though. But they didn't expect him to be that big at all.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I measured small until some time after 30 weeks. At 40 weeks I was measuring right on average but asked Dr what size baby to expect. He felt and felt and decided to do an ultrasound. Ultrasound measured baby at 11lbs 2 oz. and with a HUGE head. I had him the next day and he was actually 11lbs 7 oz. and his head was ginormous and he had to be a c section because of it. There was no physical way to get his head out, but no one suspected it because I was measuring small and then average, although in the last two weeks I POPED and looked HUGE. But I didn't even need maternity clothes until after 20 weeks.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
This is kind of a two part question. Do you mean the mom measures small, or the baby measures smaller and ends up bigger?

I measured right along where I was supposed to be with DS. They estimated him at 7 - 7 1/2 lbs and he was born 10 days early at 8 lbs 15 oz. Those estimates can vary a lb in each direction on average though. But they didn't expect him to be that big at all.
I guess I mean the mom measures small - measuring the size of my uterus with a tape measure. I've measured 2 weeks smaller since she started measuring me. And this week it was her student measuring me and again, 2 weeks small. So, even consistent with different people measuring.

Baby hasn't been measured with an ultrasound since 20 weeks - haven't had one since then because there hasn't been a reason for another one. He was at the 30th percentile then and DH is a smaller guy, so I'm kinda thinking LO won't be huge or anything. But everyone likes to tell you that he will be despite all this stuff...

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my 2 nd I measured consistently right on or behind. At my 41.5 week appointment I was measuring 39 weeks. She was born 2 days later 9 lbs 6 oz. everyone was floored. I pushed for 6.5 hours and transferred to the hospital, the doctors kept saying they couldn't understand the problem, it felt like a small 7 lb baby. They were all shocked when she came out. I also measured a bit behind with number 3, she was 8lbs 7 oz. the only pregnancy I measured ahead on was my oldest, I was consistently 1-2 weeks ahead with her and she ended up being 8 lbs 4 oz.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll let you know how this guy turns out. I'm 40 weeks. Measure 37. :/ I'm guessing he will be my biggest. I am very small and my last baby was 7.11

I'm really tiny so that's a nice sized baby for me
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never measured above 36wks with DS. And that was at 41wks. He was born at 41wks6d and was 8lbs6oz and 23".
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote