Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Meaured small, but had big baby?

I measured small with both babies (and I'm short at 5' 3") and had...two small babies One a little less than 7 pounds at 40 weeks and one 7 pounds 4ounces at 41 weeks. Even at 41 weeks I only measured 37...but probably because he was engaged already. You probably won't have a big baby unless big babies run in your family or your diet is really high in sugar or protein.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
You probably won't have a big baby unless big babies run in your family or your diet is really high in sugar or protein.
Well my mom likes to carry on about how we were all so huge, but all four of us were between 8 and 9 pounds. Not tiny, but not exceptionally large either. Considering my mom was quite obese and had uncontrolled gestational diabetes (it was the '70's), our weights weren't high at all. Without those factors, I bet we would all have been more like 7 pounders.

I'm not overweight and don't have gestational diabetes. My DH was 5 pounds 14 ounces at term, so I'm still thinking this kiddo won't be big.

I don't know why it matters to me so much, but my mom's insistence that my baby will be huge drives me insane! I've posted about this before. I need to get over it. He'll be here soon and as long as he's healthy, it doesn't matter if he's 6 pounds or 9 pounds.

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I had my 37 week appt and asked how i was measuring. Dr said i was right on target. He also mentioned that the farther along you got the less accurate the fundal height measurement became.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy
I had my 37 week appt and asked how i was measuring. Dr said i was right on target. He also mentioned that the farther along you got the less accurate the fundal height measurement became.
This is due to the baby going lower into the pelvis.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #25
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
All my obsessing and worrying over this topic - he was born yesterday after a very short labor - less than 5 hours! I made it to the hospital just in time to push him out! He was all of 6lbs, 12 oz. and 19.5 inches! He's absolutely perfect and breast feeding like a champ!

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #26
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I have not measured small but did measure accurately. Two of our babies were 8 ish lbs, one was 9lb10oz and one was 11lb 1/2oz. I am a little taller than average 5'9" and have a large frame, I don't know if that effects it.
wow did you have your 11lb vaginally?
I have always measured right on with my 10lbers.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #27
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

As I was laying on the operating table for my emergency C-section due to lack of progression, my doctor said that the baby was probably just over 7 lbs and they had been saying that for weeks now. As he pulled him out the first thing he said was, "oh my gosh, look at that head!" He was 9lbs. 10 ounces...doctors can be amazingly wrong sometimes.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggle View Post
All my obsessing and worrying over this topic - he was born yesterday after a very short labor - less than 5 hours! I made it to the hospital just in time to push him out! He was all of 6lbs, 12 oz. and 19.5 inches! He's absolutely perfect and breast feeding like a champ!
so happy to hear it worked out fine. I think too many people stress about their baby's potential size when it is all just guesstimates.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #29
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Measured 37 weeks at 40w5d

8.2lb baby
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
Vintagebikegirl
Registered Users
seller

I measured a week-two weeks small with my son who ended up being 6pounds 12 oz when he was born at 35 weeks, lol. He was a pretty big preemie.
Vintagebikegirl is offline   Reply With Quote