Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lots of accidents in a 3 year old

My 3 year old has been PLing actively for about 5 months, and he's still not fully day trained. Sometimes he will go days without an accident (with the except of nighttime) without having to be reminded to go, and sometimes he will refuse to use the potty when I ask and pee on the floor all day (thank goodness for hard wood ) I know regression is normal, but it seems like after 5 months he should be dry more often..? Days like today, he's completely refusing. I tried to put him in a trainer, he took it off. Made another accident, and put him in a diaper. Took it off. Put the diaper back on with pants over. Made an accident. What should I do when he makes accidents? I'm sick of cleaning up after him all day, but I don't want him under the impression that if he has a diaper on he's free to pee where ever. Ideas?

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried a reward system. I have 5 trained kids and some of them were easy...some not! My 3 year old was similar to yours. She would go days with no accidents at all and then accident after accident. It's maddening...I know! We'll, she is obsessed with fruit snacks and one day I promised her a handful of fruit snacks every time she went on the potty...it worked when she would wake up dry, sometimes she'd just sit there and pee....until I promised fruit snacks! Lol

With another kid, it was stickers. She adored them so she got a stickers every time she was accident free all day.

I advocate stickers over junk or food, but when your in the trenches you gotta use what works!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I forgot to add that they def. know/ learn that they can pee in a diaper so I would ditch them all together. I know the constant accidents suck, but diaper will draw things out much longer.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley
Have you tried a reward system. I have 5 trained kids and some of them were easy...some not! My 3 year old was similar to yours. She would go days with no accidents at all and then accident after accident. It's maddening...I know! We'll, she is obsessed with fruit snacks and one day I promised her a handful of fruit snacks every time she went on the potty...it worked. When she would wake up dry, sometimes she'd just sit there and pee....until I promised fruit snacks! Lol

With another kid, it was stickers. She adored them so she got a stickers every time she was accident free all day.

I advocate stickers over junk or food, but when your in the trenches you gotta use what works!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lots of accidents in a 3 year old

Resets are nice.butreally if ready should be good.if boy try pop corn in potty. Boys on doctors said take longer.don't push if he isn't ready.