Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy PT ing rant

So DD (32 months) has been "daytime" PT since March. With the exception of pooping on the potty She was doing it willingly for about a month in the middle of the summer then she had diarrhea and stopped. Now she poops right after she wakes up in the morning. She WILL NOT go in the toilet. She keeps her bedroom door shut and paces (like a dog ) until she's finished. She doesn't like to sit to poop, she wants to stand. If I try to go into her room while she's in the act she puts her hands up an yells, "Mommy go! I pooping!" She NEEDS her privacy and gets incredibly upset if you try to talk to her about it. I don't want to embarrass her, but I know she can do it. It's so frustrating!

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: PT ing rant

Poop training is hard. My DD1 was finally fully trained, then had surgery and went back to pooping her pants for 2 months. We just kept reinforcing calmly that we poop in the potty, not our underwear, and she came back around. Do you have a setup where he feet touch the floor or a stool firmly while she's going? Do you think she may have mild constipation so that the pacing helps her move her bowels?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
cdeweese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She has normal, soft formed poop every morning. And she can use either her potty (like the Bjorne) or ours. Both are in the bathroom at all times. When she was going it was in the regular toilet. I think it might be a bit of a control thing and that's why I'm not pushing it. She NEVER has accidents, she just refuses to go in the toilet. I think that's what frustrates me the most. If I bring it up it makes her that much more determined to NOT poop in the potty.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Wicksie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could she compromise and poop in the tub? I know it's kind of a thing, but it would be a *baby step* toward pooping without pants/undies/diaper on, and if you set her training potty in on the opposite side of the tub, eventually she might try sitting on it?

You could tell her that you won't force her to sit while she poops, but that pants are not for pooping, so if she wants to stand/walk and have privacy, she can be in the tub with the curtain closed and then tell you when she's done.

Once she's done her business you can use a Clorox bleach wipe to snag the poop and dump it in the toilet, and then a new bleach wipe to wipe up where it was sitting in the tub.

We use this routine sometimes when my dd is constipated and "pacing" but refusing to sit.

And before we use the tub for the next bath time, I always bleach it out entirely and rinse thoroughly. I'm a bleach-loving germ-a-phobe, but you could adapt the cleaning part to fit your routines and preferences.

We also are really digging our removable shower head for rinsing off runny poop bottoms when kiddos have diarrhea or if we miss a poop and have a big mess in pants to clean up. The entire child goes in the tub, gets stripped, gets hosed down, and then usually gets a bath.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Could you move her little potty into her room so she has it in there when she needs to go in the morning? I know it may not work right away, but if she is walking back and forth in front of it, then she might decide to sit down if it's right there in front of her. Plus it would be her idea to use it if she decides to.

I wish I had more advice, but my kids poop trained first! LOL! But I do hear that it is very common for kids to be afraid to poop on the toilet/potty.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm mean I guess, but i would force her to sit her little behind on the potty until she poops.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

I would first try to get her to pace and poop in the bathroom instead of her bedroom. Then work on getting her to sit on the potty. Does she have a stool next to the regular potty so her feet can touch the ground?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
cdeweese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've tried alot of the above and all it did was constipate her. She didn't poop for 10 days and then spent a day having pretty bad diarrhea. I'm not going to get into a power struggle with her everyday or change poopy underwear everyday. It's just not something I'm willing to do She gets incredibly embarrassed about pooping anyway, so I'm not going to treat her badly or punish her for it. That just doesn't help anything. Now if we're still having this problem after night training is complete of course I'll revisit the situation. But it's just really frustrating