Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why do babies need juice?

Can someone please enlighten me as to why my 1 year old needs juice? It seems like sugar water, even 100 percent juice has a large amount of sugar. Is it to make sure they are getting fruit in their diet? If I give her fruit can I not give her juice? We only drink water and milk in our home. Since my oldest has type 1 diabetes, he would have to take quite a bit of insulin to drink juice so we don't even keep it in the house. Am I missing something? I really don't understand the benefit of juice.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do babies need juice?

they dont need it
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
dealdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where did you hear that she needs juice? My doctor has said NOT to give my 18 MO juice because of the sugar content. Fresh fruit is so much better!
dealdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One of my gf's gets wic and she was totally freaked when I told her I don't give my dd juice. She said babies need it and wic gives her gallons of juice a month. We have our 1 year old check up this afternoon and I started to worry that my dr would say something to me since we haven't given her juice. I fill her sippy cups with ice water.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We just do water/ milk here. Juice occasionally but not often. They like to drink water so that's ok with me
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They don't need juice. WIC only gives 100% juice, for what its worth, and I imagine its to help increase the likelihood of said kiddo getting in their daily fruit/veggie intake, which really isn't a super big issue at one.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

My 1 yo doesn't have juice regularly. Her dad wanted some so we had sime and she had a taste of oj, but that's it. We keep water for her in a sippy water bottle (it's a Pura Kikki) and she can drink out of that whenever she wants. Juice is expensive and unnecessary. We will get fresh cider in the fall because it's yummy and usually available at our farmers market. I'll probably let her have some then. But even that is an occasional thing, which I don't see a problem with. For everyday? I don't really want to keep track of maintaining and washing sippies full of juice and she's not coordinated enough for and open cup without help yet, plus it's expensive to buy and isn't a necessary part of the diet. I don't think it's as insanely unhealthy as some people do, but I don't think toddlers need it to be healthy.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok good. You guys made me feel better. Parenting is so weird. She looks at me like I'm crazy depriving my dd of juice and I look at her like she's crazy for loading her kids up with apple juice instead of water.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasK View Post
Ok good. You guys made me feel better. Parenting is so weird. She looks at me like I'm crazy depriving my dd of juice and I look at her like she's crazy for loading her kids up with apple juice instead of water.

I am on your side of crazy!

(My kids get juice when their friends give them a box. And I don't fret about it. I don't like it, so I don't buy it.)
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Kids don't NEED juice. They don't NEED any one particular food at all. Juice can help them get enough fluids if they won't drink water and it can also help if they are constipated. So, it does have benefits, but nothing at all that is a necessity.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote