Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #81
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much drinking is acceptable when youre raising children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
everyone has their own opinions on this. for me personally, i don't think it's healthy or responsible to have alcohol at all around children. I don't think it really has any positives at all. To me drinking is a vice in any quantity. It does not cause anything good to happen.

of course it's just my opinion. OP, good luck with the situation you were talking about.
This is how I feel. I grew up with an alcholic father (who is now sober!) and it destroyed my family. In my life, I have never seen anything positive come from alchohol use that would outweigh the damage it can cause. I know I'm in the minority, but that's how I feel! And no, I don't think people who have occasional drinks are horrible people, but I don't want to be around it, and definitely don't want my kids around it.

Advertisement

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #82
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post

Which I get on the one hand, but on the other hand neither of those things is really a cultural difference. Different cultures have different attitudes about what is acceptable. Sometimes we think it's right, sometimes we think its wrong, but it is what is, ya know?
That's true. It seems to be a popular thought that wine is quite acceptable but beer is just not, because Italians, for example, find it totally ok and part of life for many families. But beer is quite prevalent and acceptable in Germany. I know mine may not be a popular opinion here, and that's ok, because I don't think everyone needs to think the same. But to me, if substituting it for something similar is bad, then why is the original not a vice, problem, or addiction? That along with could you quit it yesterday and be fine. If they quit making Caffeine free regular Coke (not diet), I would be bummed because I like the taste, but I wouldn't have a headache, be ill, or have any side effects.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #83
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
That's true. It seems to be a popular thought that wine is quite acceptable but beer is just not, because Italians, for example, find it totally ok and part of life for many families. But beer is quite prevalent and acceptable in Germany. I know mine may not be a popular opinion here, and that's ok, because I don't think everyone needs to think the same. But to me, if substituting it for something similar is bad, then why is the original not a vice, problem, or addiction? That along with could you quit it yesterday and be fine. If they quit making Caffeine free regular Coke (not diet), I would be bummed because I like the taste, but I wouldn't have a headache, be ill, or have any side effects.
But many who drink culturally, or drink just 1 glass of wine or 1 beer a night don't get a headache or ill. If I had a shot of vodka I would get ill and probably more than buzzed since I don't drink hard alcohol ever.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #84
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I think if there is a responsible, sober adult around when there are children around it's ok. If you drink a glass of wine or something when you are alone with your children and can handle that, then it's ok but my concern is always what if something happens and you have to drive?

DH and I don't drink but my XH and his wife do, but not out of control, just occasionally and when they are home. I don't worry about my kids seeing it and they joke about being excited to turn 21 to try a beer, but no big deal.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #85
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I think if we go back to the reasons why alcoholic beverages became popular in the first place it makes more sense. Historically, alcohol was used to make something safe to drink. Real beer and wine didn't have much alcohol in them at all-just enough to kill the bacteria. Hard liquor was mixed or used for medicinal purposes-or to get drunk. Wine and beer were just what was safe to drink.

Now, of course, we have access to safe drinking water and a myriad of other beverages. Still for some, the traditional use of beer or wine continues at the table. Can it be abused? Absolutely. Anything can be abused if too much is consumed though.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #86
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
I think you're getting confused on the difference between ONE beer, ONE glass of wine, and ONE mixed drink, and having shots.

A glass of wine has on the HIGH END, an alcohol content of 20%. One beer is less than 10% (beer is typically around 7-8%). A shot glass full of hard liquor has an alcohol content usually around 40% ON THE LOW END, and it goes up to 90% on the high end.

So, no, having a drink made with, say 2 ounces of hard liquor, or having a shot or two of liquor, is not "similar" at ALL to having one glass of beer or wine with a meal. They aren't even in the same ball park.

Are they both alcohol? Yes. But they are similar in the same way that cola SYRUP is similar to drinking an actual coke.

Also, as I pointed out before, drinking WITH A MEAL is far and beyond extremely different than drinking on an empty stomach.

Last edited by Kiliki; 12-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #87
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I think you're getting confused on the difference between ONE beer, ONE glass of wine, and ONE mixed drink, and having shots.

A glass of wine has on the HIGH END, an alcohol content of 20%. One beer is less than 10% (beer is typically around 7-8%). A shot glass full of hard liquor has an alcohol content usually around 40% ON THE LOW END, and it goes up to 90% on the high end.

So, no, having a drink made with, say 2 ounces of hard liquor, or having a shot or two of liquor, is not "similar" at ALL to having one glass of beer or wine with a meal. They aren't even in the same ball park.

Are they both alcohol? Yes. But they are similar in the same way that cola SYRUP is similar to drinking an actual coke.

Also, as I pointed out before, drinking WITH A MEAL is far and beyond extremely different than drinking on an empty stomach.
A small glass of wine, half a pint of beer, and a shot of vodka are actually the same, in terms of units of alcohol. The shot might get you drunker, quicker, but that's probably because you'd drink it in one go, rather than sipping it slowly.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #88
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
A small glass of wine, half a pint of beer, and a shot of vodka are actually the same, in terms of units of alcohol. The shot might get you drunker, quicker, but that's probably because you'd drink it in one go, rather than sipping it slowly.
The only way I've ever known anyone to consume a shot is quickly for the express purpose of "feeling it." Are there people out there who pour themselves a shot and then sip it during a meal?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #89
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
The only way I've ever known anyone to consume a shot is quickly for the express purpose of "feeling it." Are there people out there who pour themselves a shot and then sip it during a meal?
People definitely sip whiskey. You can drink a shots worth either neat or on the rocks and sip it slowly. There are whiskey connoisseur and high end whiskey can get very spendy. I've also seen people drink vodka on the rocks.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #90
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

You keep going back to amounts and drinking with food. For one, some people eat or snack in bars I'm sure. But for me, I'm talking frequency - not quantity or accompaniments. And ftr, I drink less than a handful of times a year, at that. I'm not any of the examples I've given, and I'm sorry if you somehow feel that you need to excuse or explain things about your wine with dinner, in all caps, repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post

I wanted to say this. I've been told this and remembered it from health class even. But I didn't have any kind of source or reference so I was worried I was incorrect so I hadn't brought it up yet.

Last edited by Dory; 12-10-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote