Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #131
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many gifts for Christmas?

I shop all year. everything they are getting was at least 25% off & most was 40% off to free. so they do get a lot. Christmas was always a big thing in our families. Neither of us grew up w/ a lot of $$ but our parents made Christmas big & special for us, so that is what we do for our kids.

The kids really like unwrapping things so I wrapped things I would normally just give them. They are both in need of new bigger shoes so instead of just giving them to them I wrapped them. I also bought some books for homeschooling & some next size up clothing for DD.

Santa brings 1 or 2 unwrapped gifts. Usually 1 big & 1 small. then he fills stockings. the rest is wrapped & from us.

DH & I exchange gifts. It is what our families do & it's fun.

Advertisement

Last edited by Junipervt; 12-22-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #132
MrsFishyMarineWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS is and only child and will always be an only child.

He's got a few gifts from FIL, one of SIL, one from my grandparents and probably 8 from my mom and a ton from us so 35ish including santa gifts and stocking stuffers.

We were THIS.CLOSE to loosing him after he was born so Christmas and his birthday we make big.

I bought most of his stuff on sale, some was dirt cheap and some things I bought awhile ago on clearance.

We aren't well off at all but it brings SO much happiness to me watching him on Christmas morning so its all worth it.

I'm all teary eyed now just thinking about his excitement.

DH is HOME from Afghan!

Last edited by MrsFishyMarineWife; 12-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.
MrsFishyMarineWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #133
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Each child gets three gifts from us. Santa brings one gift, either one per child or one big one for everyone to share.

They also got one gift each from DH's sister, and from my mom.

It sounds like a small Christmas, but that's how we like it.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #134
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many gifts for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
Each child gets three gifts from us. Santa brings one gift, either one per child or one big one for everyone to share.

They also got one gift each from DH's sister, and from my mom.

It sounds like a small Christmas, but that's how we like it.
I know, ours sounds small, too, compared to some. But if you take 3 presents x 4 kids, plus a gift for DH and one for me, that's 14 gifts under the tree. Then you add 2 things for each person from each set of gprandparents, that 24 more, so it's like a minimum of 38 new THINGS comings into our house every Christmas, things that have to be picked up or tripped over or get lost. I seriously get heart palpitations reading about others who give each child up to 40 gifts, not to mention the stuff from others. Wowza, I feel crowded after Christmas in our 3500 sq ft house, and I have no idea where they would put all that new stuff

ETA: We get our kids new clothes and shoes every spring and fall. We live in a climate where we can't wait for Christmas to get them winter clothes--winter is half over by then! And they each get 1-2 gifts for birthdays, so it's not like they never get new stuff

Last edited by Melinda29; 12-23-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote