Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #31
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many gifts for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
Where do you keep all those toys. I just went through my sons room before his birthday and picked out things to sell/ donate and it's still too cluttered. We're doing it again for Christmas also.
I was thinking the same thing! With 3 kids I can't imagine bringing over 100 new items into the house just at Christmas! We need to go and purge the playroom anyway with just the few gifts they get from us and then *maybe* 10 more from various family members

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #32
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Where do you keep all those toys. I just went through my sons room before his birthday and picked out things to sell/ donate and it's still too cluttered. We're doing it again for Christmas also.

His room has toys, my room has toys, our living room has a wall of built in shelves and this is actually a playroom on the ground floor and we have a HUGE basement filled with toys. We must have at least 500 different toys and games not counting the 1000's of hotwheels cars we have. We have 5 or 6 giant rubbermaid tubs of hotwheels and matchbox cars. Plus the storage room in our house is filled with his baby toys he no longer uses but I am saving for the next child. I have never done a toy purge the only toys we ever get rid of our the ones that are broken. Generally what I do is take the toys that are in the main floor playroom and put them in the basement so that the new toys he gets for Christmas can go on the shelves in the playroom. Playdates all comment its like coming to a toystore when they see all the toys.

Last edited by Kimmyann; 12-10-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #33
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

DD is getting two--play kitchen and toy box--plus stocking. DH built the toy box and I love it She will also get gifts from the grandparents. She is 19 months.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #34
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

3 gifts per kid on Christmas Eve and 1 gift and stocking stuffers per kid on Christmas day. DH and I do exchange gifts, but it's not always on Christmas.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #35
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I haven't been counting. They are getting fewer this year because each child has a gift that is fairly expensive (for example - 11 year old is getting a laptop). Add to that our trip in March to Disney World and the number of gifts this year is less than in past years. DH and I both enjoy giving gifts to the kids at Christmas and our budget allows us to do so as we wish.

Last edited by z2akids; 12-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #36
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Dh and I are not doing gifts for each other this year, although we ARE taking a big trip so that could be considered a gift to ourselves. Oh, and I WILL be buying myself my favorite snack EVER, which you can only buy in Canada, Old Dutch ketchup chips... MMMmmmMMMM

We got our kids each one large gift. For DD that is a carebear castle set that comes with a couple smaller pieces and several bears. DS is getting a superhero "set" which includes 3 things that were bought separate.

Then they are getting a few smaller things... shirt or sweater, stuffed toy each, a toy from each other, and stocking stuffers.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #37
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I clear out the outgrown toys from about Nov-Christmas....and then a lot of the stuff is "the same" (all the Imaginext fighters go in one bucket)...

Our entire house (1200 sq ft) is "kid friendly" so we have toys in the living room & their bedroom. The boys share the master bedroom.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #38
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

In years past we've gone way overboard - just picking things up that caught our eyes or that we thought he'd enjoy. After several Christmases and Birthdays of him being overwhelmed with gifts to unwrap, we've finally decided that we should pick one thing we know he'll love (this year an iPad) and then add a couple other things (this year a custom superhero cape and two books). He'll also get some little things (slinky, little lego sets, flashlight, etc) in a stocking. Everything is from Santa.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #39
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
The kids only get 6 or so gifts from "Mom & Dad" and Santa brings around 30ish. They only get 6ish from us because of time. We have a large family and we open gifts from youngest to oldest. If each child had 20 something gifts from Mom and Dad in addition to the gifts from others it would take ALL day to open gifts.
Dh and I buy around 5-6 for each other. The kids also pick out a gift to give their sibling .
Wow - I am both shocked to see that and relieved (I always felt like the rest of the world had accomplished a minimalist zen with gift giving). That is so many!
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Last year I think I aimed "exciting" gifts for each of them from Santa. A few were bigger things (and this is a very relative term) that were to share. So there may have been 3 share and 7 each. We got them an Atari to be from us parents.

There smaller things, and the stockings and we were at the grandparents house so they had a few things for each and my sister probably bought them 3 things each. It was probably the first year it wasn't overwhelming.

When my daughter was 18mo and 2.5yrs we went way overboard and filled the entire living room and she just got tired and didn't want to do it anymore and I've been trying to be better ever since. A second child and a small house help me want to do less also. It helps now that they are getting older - their toys may be more expensive but they take up less space and eventually they realize that their parents are "Santa" and that one computer equals 20 smaller toys.
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote