Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #41
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many gifts for Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesslouise View Post
8 gifts for DD1, who is 3 (a hand-me-down keyboard, a used doll, clothes for the doll, 2 used DVDs, 2 books, and a dog-shaped hot dog slicer that's pretty funny), and a board book for DD2, who will be 4 months at Christmas. We spent about $60-70 on DD1 and $15 on DD2. Obviously we'll spend more on DD2 when she's bigger.
We got the "Weenie-Dog" Hot dog slicer for my SIL to use for my nephew, too, mostly since they have a dachshund and tend to collect similar stuff.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #42
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I usually only do 1 main gift per kid, but I do a $ limit, so it depends. My 18 yr old is getting art supplies, so he is getting probably 5 or 6 things to unwrap, but the 14 yr old wanted an MP3 player, so he is only unwrapping 1.

Dh is getting 3 small things from me and I ordered some vintage measuring cups for myself ($8!!) for him to wrap and give me

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 12-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #43
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH bought me a TV this year. I got him some sweaters, a game he wanted, and the new Batman DVD. I have to pay karate ($375) and violin ($520) in January, so I just flat out didn't have that much I could spend on him.

The kids got about 10 gifts each. They ranged from small things (some Little People) to videos and video games to bigger things (Leapster LeapPad2 for DS) and some were used (American Girl doll for DD1). The kids gifts were bought throughout the year.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #44
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH and I give each other gifts for Christmas (but we don't for anniversaries/birthdays, we go on dates for those). It's normally a certain $ limit (this year we're doing $100 limit stocking stuffers). We buy the kids one big thing each from Santa. This year DD is getting a dollhouse and DS is getting a kitchen. We also have relatives who send them gifts so they get PLENTY We really make it more about the day with experiences like going to church, baking, playing Christmas music/movies, a big Christmas dinner, etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
katymf
Registered Users
seller

DS will be getting about $100 worth from mommy and daddy..i'd say we picked him out 9 gifts and my mother has gotten him about 5..he'll get 1 gift from my sister, and a couple from my dad as well as a couple from his other grandparents.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #46
Shaunam
Registered Users

I usually go overboard at Christmas, but we aren't religious and very much celebrate "giftmas". We don't buy a lot during the year and do low key birthdays so it all works out. Sometimes my SO and I exchange gifts, sometimes not. Its really more for the kids.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #47
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our children each get one "AWESOME" gift from us and maybe one or two smaller gifts. DH and I don't usually buy each other gifts. We usually either decide together to get something for the home (one year it was a surround sound DVD system), or we wait until Tax Refund time and we each take a little "play money" to get ourselves something we really want.

This year the 7 yr old and 5 yr old are getting inexpensive tablets ($50 each, an acquaintance selling them barely used and willing to take a $50 Target gift card as payment for one of them). We will charge them and pre-load them with free books and some free fun game apps.

The almost-3-yr old, we are "re-gifting" the 5yr old's Innotab that he got for Christmas last year, but hardly used because he was just more advanced than the games we got for it. So we're just going to wrap that up and give it to the little guy.

DD will be just over 3 months and is getting an amber teething necklace from a DS mama, it's the light lemon stones with some amethyst and obsidian.

That's all they are getting from us this year.. we might get them some new coloring books. My mom & step dad will send gifts, and my dad & step mom usually send TRU gift cards, and we usually take the kids and let them pick out their own gifts to use their cards on.

DH and I talked about Christmas and birthday gift giving when DS1 was a baby, and we decided then that we were never going to go over board or "all out" on gifts for our kids. I'd also rather spend a same lump sum on a great gift that the kids will truly love, than spend the same amount on a bunch of cheap junk that they will lose interest in in two days or that will break after a few weeks.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #48
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really have no idea how many gifts our little people will get. I keep thinking I'm done buying, but in reality I know I will continue to overindulge in gift buying right up to the last moment.

DH & I have bought ourselves a frozen embryo transfer for Christmas

Our older DDs will each get one cash transfer from our checking account to theirs.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #49
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark
I really have no idea how many gifts our little people will get. I keep thinking I'm done buying, but in reality I know I will continue to overindulge in gift buying right up to the last moment.

DH & I have bought ourselves a frozen embryo transfer for Christmas

Our older DDs will each get one cash transfer from our checking account to theirs.
Aww I really like your gift for you and your husband!
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #50
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dp
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote