Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Detergent question?

I use liquid dreft just fine.front load with slightly hard water.

Advertisement

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 12-11-2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: just saw misspelling....
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Tide original liquid. I've tried the powder and the liquid works a bit better for us. We've also used Charlie's Soap and it didn't work well.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie
Tide original liquid. I've tried the powder and the liquid works a bit better for us. We've also used Charlie's Soap and it didn't work well.
Yep. We have also used All F&C (liquid), Country Save, Charlie's Soap, Tide powder and Tide F&G powder. None of these worked for us but the liquid Tide.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like Tide, I've used both powder and the tide pods and they both work very well for us.
I've also tried Country save, Charlie's, and All with oxyactive, and all were horrible.
Currently I'm experimenting with Target's new biodegradable kind, but the jury's still out on it.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I have tried ...

Biokleen All Temperature Liquid Laundry Detergent -- in hard and soft water, top and front loader, and in a laundromat (doing one full wash without detergent, then one with). Worked well using a full "dose", rinsed so cleanly the diapers were squeaky and didn't need a second rinse. Moderate staining.

Original Tide Liquid -- Started getting stains, needed several rinses to avoid rashes (in hard and soft water, top loading washer).

Country Save Powder (hard and soft water in 3 different states (Iowa, Washington, Oregon), top and front loaders, home and laundromat) -- Suddenly never saw a stain again, diapers got squeaky clean and didn't need an extra rinse (just cold rinse, hot wash). Used too much once and just had scratchy diapers (no rash). Also worked well on his dad's muddy work clothes.

Original and New Tide Powder -- Lots of stains appeared again, had to use a lot to get diapers clean, and then it'd take a zillion rinses to avoid rashes.

Tide Free & Clear -- Lots of stains, same problem with rinsing and rashes.

All Free & Clear -- Did so-so, rinsed well but still left stains.

Meyers Clean Day -- Overwhelming fragrance, left stains.

Arm & Hammer (regular and F&C) -- Did OK, left stains.

Cheer (regular & F&C) -- Did OK, left stains.

Rockin Green -- Diapers stank, left stains, rash.

BG Brand -- Left stains.

Homemade (1 pound each baking soda, washing soda, borax ... 1 bar of Kirk's castille soap puffed up in microwave then cooled and flaked and put through the blender ... add 1-2 Tablespoons per load) ... Doesn't work quite as well as Country Save but outperforms all the others. After using for 1 year, we have no soap buildup (washing soda cuts soap).

FWIW, every single time I buy FSOT diapers from people who say they use Tide, the diapers have stains that "won't" come out. After one or two washes in Country Save, the stains come out. Then I wash a few more times to get the Tide fragrance out, and once its gone I start smelling diaper odors. I tend to have to wash diapers from Tide homes about 6 times to get them smelling fresh.

I really didn't want to try Country Save, because I thought it was a boutique detergent without adequate ingredients (there's an article out there that people interpret this way) ... and because it just sounds way more granola crunchy than I am ... But now I wouldn't recommend anything else. I also found out that it does have water softeners and builders like mainstream detergents do. It's not a soap like Charlie's, it's a true detergent.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
It's not a soap like Charlie's, it's a true detergent.
For what it is worth Charlies soap is NOT a soap it is a true detergent.. The soap is in name only. I used it successfully for a while with my first but then she begin getting rashes and I never could figure out how to stop them.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Fryedaddy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've used Charlie's soap as long as my little man has been around. He actually stopped breaking out. You can buy it CHEAP on Amazon if you look for subscribe and save. We bought a big container shipped for around $100, should last over a year. I believe the size was 1000 loads.

Even if your not interested check subscribe and save.
Fryedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
Gbug
Registered Users

My Mood:

Soap nuts or honest detergent (liquid)
Gbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbug
Soap nuts or honest detergent (liquid)
I've only gotten to prep all of my diapers (waiting on our son!) but I used the Eco nuts (a type of soap nuts) and had repelling issues. My flannel wipes wouldn't absorb water. I poured some water on top and it just sat there. I finally took it over to the sink and the water poured off of it. We gave hard water, that might make a difference.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #20
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I use Tide liquid. The only reason I use Tide is because our house that we bought has hard water and it's the only thing that worked but before I just use to use whatever cheap detergent at the store. I've never in my life bought "cd detergent"
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote