Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

Bleeding diaper rash

I noticed yesterday that DS was getting a bright red bottom, and I attributed it to waiting too long to change his diaper. I started putting diaper cream (Mountain Baby Butt Balm) on, which had worked well before for a minor rash. This afternoon I was changing him and it seemed his bottom was even redder than before, and when I wiped it, it started bleeding! Just a small spot, but of course as a FTM and new cloth diaperer I was alarmed.

Is this normal for a diaper rash to bleed or is that considered a bad diaper rash? Could it be because of the CDs? Maybe I didn't wash them well enough or something?

I use trifolded GMD prefolds and a Bummis fleece liner on top for stay-dry. I just re-washed all the fleece liners just in case they had some detergent residue (we use Country Save). I do the standard pre-wash, wash, and extra rinse.

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement

shoebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Bleeding diaper rash

Do they smell ever? Detergent residue is much less common of an issue than diapers just not getting clean. I would try some air time and coconut oil. What are you using for wipes and solution?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

I've only been clothing diapering for two weeks (he's a nb) so there hasn't been much time for build-up. I usually use coconut oil at every change but if it looks really rashy I use the butt balm (that's just happened once before, so I'm not going on much experience). I use GMD flannel wipes in warm water, that's it. I have some Kissaluvs lotion potion spray but haven't used that in a while.

I tried some air time this afternoon to make sure he got nice and dry before more butt balm and a new diaper.

How do I know if the dipes aren't getting clean enough? I wash every day, day and a half, about 10-15 diapers, and I use a 1/4 scoop of Country Save in my top loader (they recommend a full scoop for a load, but the diapers are barely 1/8 of a load).
Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Do you think he could be sensitive to the fleece liner? Maybe he needs natural fibers against his skin? Just a shot in the dark.
My dd gets super red if I use coconut oil. (Most babies are just fine with it though)
How often are you changing him?
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

What's it look like? I know ours looked really bad & it was yeast from runny poo. Try sween. If u think its yeast gynelotromin is cd safe. It helped. Otherwise call doc. If it just appeared out of nowhere then probably not detergent issue. Doesn't sound like build up unless not absorbing.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

We've been using the fleece since about day 3 or 4 and it seems to have been OK. I put it on because it bothers me that he ever sits in a wet prefold. I try to change him every 2 hours but frequently it's 3 because I hate to wake him up (he's taken to screaming during diaper changes). And at night he sleeps for 4 or 5 hours at a time so it can go longer then. Is that just too long? When I first noticed the rash yesterday I thought it was because I let him go 3+ hours before I changed him. It's red in a sitting kind of pattern, like on the areas of his bottom that would touch the ground if you sat down.

I don't think it looks like yeast - that's raised bumps, right? It's just bright red and rashy looking.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

No, probably not due to the cloth. Although redness when you first start CDing is pretty common for a week or two.

And no, that is not "normal" (although it is not unheard of--all 4 of my children have experienced this once or twice, and we have CD all of them for the last 7 years straight). IME, it is usually yeast that causes bleeding type rashes. Using Nystatin cream as well as adding 1/4 cup bleach to the hot wash until the rash clears has always worked for me. Also using soap on the wet wipes helps, if you aren't already, as plain water doesn't seem to clean off all the bacteria well enough.

I understand what you are saying that the machine is only 1/8 full of dirties, but if you are washing on x-large load size, then 1/4 scoop is not enough detergent for that much water. Make sense? It is too diluted. I always use a full scoop, regardless of how many dipes are in there. I wash twice a week, Monday evening and Friday morning, because like you my machine is not full with every-other-day washing. And I can't justify all that water and electricity getting used for ony 10-15 dipes. Why are you washing so often?

You can tell if they are clean by the smell. Dipes that didn't get clean smell either out of the dryer or once they are peed in. Clean diapers don't smell, even when peed in (okay, a little bit like pee, but not rank, and overnight dipes will smell pretty strong in the morning nomatter what).

Honestly, diaper rash is very hit or miss. Some people blame detergent, or new foods, or not enough rinsing, or wipes solution...The list goes on and on. In my experience, sometimes rashes can be explained, and sometimes they can't. My kids' rashes all *usually* went away after a few days with no changes on my part other than dusting well with cornstarch baby powder at every change for a few days. Don't know why it works, but it does. Try that first, if it doesn't improve in 24 hours, look into yeast rash remedies.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

Hmm I didn't think about the fact that the bacteria isn't getting cleaned off well enough with just water on the wipes. I'll have to start using the Kissaluvs lotion potion again. What kind of soap do you use?

I thought you weren't supposed to wash more than 18 or so dipes at a time - so when the wet bag gets full I just toss them in. Good point about the amount of detergent for the amount of water, I'll have to adjust that.

I just checked the dipes and they don't smell.

I have some Lotrimin that the doc recommended when he had some red bumps in his thigh creases last week, but when we saw the pediatrician he said it didn't look like yeast so I quit using it. I also have some prescription diaper cream (baby was in the NICU for 7 weeks, so we have lots of stuff we got there) but I kind of prefer not to use it if I don't have to.

Is cornstarch baby powder just cornstarch or something special?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I'd definitely start changing him more often for sure, when baby is awake. Give him lots of naked time for sure. Spread some towels out and let him play. I'm a huge fan of Burt's bees multipurpose ointment, too.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are some kids that can get a bad reaction with Country Save. Have you tried washing in the same detergent that you use on their clothes? Maybe just do an extra rinse to be sure you get all the detergent out. I would start with that since its the simplest thing to change right now.

Baby powder is just cornstarch with fragrance. If you have any lanolin (like the kind you use if you are breastfeeding) you can use that on his bottom, it won't affect the diapers.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 12-16-2012 at 08:55 PM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote