Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would this desk work?

Random question of the day...
I have this little corner of my kitchen away from the dining room that I think is supposed to be kind of a breakfast nook. It's really too small for that, though, and we have no use for a second table. It's been a variety of things of the last year and a half including my sewing/crafting area and a homeschool area. Now it's empty and I'm trying to decide what to do with it when we fix up our kitchen after the first of the year (mostly painting and re-organizing). I'm not going to put my full crafting area there again because it's just too much and looks cluttered. However, I was considering getting a small corner desk to use for small projects and store my sewing machines on (basic sewing machine and basic serger). The only catch is it will partially cover the windows. Do you think there is any chance it will look okay? We are painting the walls a country yellow and replacing the curtains eventually.

Here is the space (ignore the crappy lighting):

And here is the basic (cheap) desk:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Black/17330707

BTW, I know my machines would still have to be moved to the kitchen table for bigger projects, so only small things could be done there. I'm just trying to my the space useful and look nice for almost no money. In fact, someone might be getting me the desk for my birthday. I also have a small corner shelf that I need to paint that I would mount in the corner above that.

Advertisement

Last edited by hac1224; 12-12-2012 at 08:09 AM.
hac1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I personally dont like corner desk. We have 1 now in our dining room and half the space is useless. I would opt for a regular desk and place it in front of one of the windows. I love desks in front of windows so I can look out while I work.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would this desk work?

I think desks need to be under windows.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So, would this one work better?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=15734260

I think it's more stable and versatile, too.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
sojomisa
Registered
seller

We've had the 2nd one listed for about 3 weeks. It's really small, I think 36 inches long? but we wanted small. Check the specs. We use it for the kids laptop in the playroom, and there's not room for much else with the laptop on it but it works for us. As for stability, It's a bit flimsy to be honest but it's buffered by a futon and a doorway so it's not knocked at all. The top of it near the back is chipping a bit where the laptop cords rub/sit.

Even with all that, I'm happy with it especially since we paid $44.00 for it. You can't expect much at that price point, ya know. We got the brown finish which is darker in real life than shown but I like it darker.

Here's the link for the lower price, just don't pick the chair, it lets you order the desk alone.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Chair/20668834

Here's black for a bit more:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Chair/20668833

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene

Last edited by sojomisa; 12-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa View Post
We've had the 2nd one listed for about 3 weeks. It's really small, I think 36 inches long? but we wanted small. Check the specs. We use it for the kids laptop in the playroom, and there's not room for much else with the laptop on it but it works for us. As for stability, It's a bit flimsy to be honest but it's buffered by a futon and a doorway so it's not knocked at all. The top of it near the back is chipping a bit where the laptop cords rub/sit.

Even with all that, I'm happy with it especially since we paid $44.00 for it. You can't expect much at that price point, ya know. We got the brown finish which is darker in real life than shown but I like it darker.

Here's the link for the lower price, just don't pick the chair, it lets you order the desk alone.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Chair/20668834

Here's black for a bit more:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Chair/20668833
Yeah, we have the almost identical desk in our livingroom for our computer desk, so I know what to expect. I'd love to be able to afford a nice desk, but there is just no way. Our local Craigslist usually sucks, too, so that's not usually an option.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have Ikea near you? They have very inexpensive counter tops. I would run a shelf/work surface the length of the window wall and maybe curtain it underneath for lots of storage.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Do you have Ikea near you? They have very inexpensive counter tops. I would run a shelf/work surface the length of the window wall and maybe curtain it underneath for lots of storage.
Our closest IKEA is about 60 miles away, so we only get there a couple of times a year. I wouldn't mind having a desk made with a countertop, but I can't run it along the whole wall. One direction would go straight through a doorway, and the other would be taking up a space I planned for a kitchen cart beside my kitchen cabinets.