Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Re: What makes you minimalist? (Picture thread!)

My pics are here: http://calledtosimplicity.blogspot.com/

Sorry I have no idea how to post pics in a post. I really wish my house looked like that now. We tore down/rebuilt a wall (same place just no longer rotting) which has been chaos. Also hoping to tear down the laundry room and move it into that room. Anyways that means the junk I hide in the laundry room and dont show people has been finding new homes in the house, garage and goodwill. We've started Christmas decorating which stresses me out for some reason...house is a mess right now so its good to look at these pics and know its not more than I can handle.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

I am a working towards minimalist, so I would not label myself that yet, but I love seeing these inspiring pics! I thought I would share mine, some look like before pics, lol. Some things have come a long way, as in my dining room table was covered with random stuff for a year solid until about 4 months ago, long story, but it's much better now!

I am a work in progress for sure and you will see my problem areas all over the place, but I am making an effort, a little something every day.

I picked some random photos from the last couple months, I have been taking shots of the various rooms for whatever reason. There are pics of my dh, dd and great nephew, a couple of her friends and our little critters and elf making an appearance too.

Oh, and I included a snap of my passion flower vine that was blooming just last week in my backyard. I wonder what it looks like after the freezing temps we have had in our area this week.

http://photobucket.com/albums/bb446/resellmybelle/home

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 12-12-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

You guys! I love all of these, but especially Harmoni's school house chairs and Resellmybelle- thanks for posting kitchen cupboard pics. Haha! How weird am I that I get excited about seeing inside people's cabinets?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love this thread! I have been striving and failing miserably to do this because my husband is a closet hoarder! I might show pics of my house just to show you how drastically awesome these spaces are from my house.

As a background, I grew up catholic and as a result went to at least a thousand overnight retreats in my lifetime. Some if my favorite memories of those retreats were coming back to my room at night (most retreats were held in a retreat center, as minimalistic as it gets) and sitting on the bed and thinking about the day in this really minimalistic room. I mean one lamp in the nightstand, a twin bed with one pillow and a plain Jane cover that was made by one if the nuns. No pictures nothing. It was soooo peaceful! Bravo ladies!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will put pix up later in the week when the lighting is better. It is still a WIP as far as minimalism goes but getting better all the time. I love what I've seen of your pix so far. It's very inspiring!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am trying to put up pix now so bear with me while I edit this a few times.

Ok, these are two rooms of my house, the ones most visible from the front door. When we moved here, we had an extra living room and a formal dining room, which we have never had before. So I had to give these rooms a purpose so they wouldn't become dumping grounds. One is now a library, and the other is still the formal dining room but we mainly use it for board games, puzzles, and playing with the fish/hamster.

Right side of library:

That bookcase holds the library books, separate from the books we own. Usually there are 80-100 of them between the five of us, but we have not been able to go to the library for two weeks so it's low right now. Behind it is the desk with laptop the kids share

Left side of dining room:

This is a work in progress. First we just had the two cheap chairs, and the kids spent so much time reading in there and fighting over the chairs I had to buy another one. For Christmas I am getting two more chairs like the one in the middle to replace the cheap uncomfortable ones, and another lamp like the white one so all three kids can see to read.

If you look through the library from between the computer desk and library bookshelf, this is what you see:

And this is the bookshelf of the books we own :

Six to two years ago, we lived in an area where library fines were a dollar per book per day. So a accumulated a lot of kids' books through used book stores, charity book sales, etc. But most of these are read often, and they read every day. So for now, it is as purged as it is going to be. Bottom row reference books, next up board books, middle row picture books and illustrated big kid books, fourth row up big kid paper backs and classics, top row grownup books. And yes we have e-readers too. I know.

And this is another view of the dining room:

What you can't see is the buffet with the hamster tank on the left and the four cube bookshelf on the right full of puzzles and board games.

I wish I could say there is nothing on the walls because I am minimalist. I am actually just scared to mess up the beautiful paint job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20121212_131807.jpg (5.3 KB, 655 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20121212_131827.jpg (13.9 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20121212_131848.jpg (15.2 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20121212_131918.jpg (6.1 KB, 622 views)

Last edited by cherylchoo; 12-12-2012 at 11:39 AM.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
I'm in

My favorite area, because I love our old schoolhouse chairs and it's usually only 5 minutes away from clean.

standing behind the table, facing the opposite way (it's all one room), I don't really like this, I'd prefer a cozy seating area, but I'm deathly afraid of fire retardants, so we don't have any factory made couches or mattresses. One day, I hope to reupholster a vintage couch and replace the fire retardant soaked foam (their art table is on the right and my sewing table is on the left):

Their toy area on the other wall:

Their school area...it can become a catch-all.....obviously:

Kitchen:

On the open wall in the kitchen, our entry area...could use work :

Our room:

Kid's room (before the bed-making fairy comes...yes, we made up a fairy to make bed-making fun:

Kid's closet (all 3 of their clothes fit in that chest...they each get one bin, plus a communal PJ bin):
Where did you get the drates used for books in the kuds rooms? I have been looking for something like that for a while!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezdwoody View Post
My pics are here: http://calledtosimplicity.blogspot.com/

Sorry I have no idea how to post pics in a post. I really wish my house looked like that now. We tore down/rebuilt a wall (same place just no longer rotting) which has been chaos. Also hoping to tear down the laundry room and move it into that room. Anyways that means the junk I hide in the laundry room and dont show people has been finding new homes in the house, garage and goodwill. We've started Christmas decorating which stresses me out for some reason...house is a mess right now so its good to look at these pics and know its not more than I can handle.
I love those pix. That is the feeling I am trying to invoke in my home. I hope you can get it back to the way you want it soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Here is my biggest problem area in the house...the upstairs. Here is from the top of the stairs (doesnt look too bad from here, lol!).

to the right is the computer in the alcove. The bookshelf is completely empty, and is usually a dumping ground for crap, but I cant bring myself to get rid of it. It might get a new home in the girls room at the base of the bottom bunk (there is a toddler mattress in the spot a twin is supposed to go, so there is room "in" the bottom bunk for it.

the room at the end is the nursery/ wham room / storage room. It has so many purposes, its nearly impossible to keep clean and organized. Its also very small, about 9x9

From the door looking left

from the door looking right...the boxes contain about half my acrylic yarn (WHAM item)..the other half is in hanging shoe organizers on the front and back of my bedroom closet door...thats usually the stuff I am currently working on or recently was working on.

The bookshelf holds rarely used items...my canning supplies, a dehydrator, big packs of construction paper (that we take a handful of sheets out of at a time to bring downstairs)...books I dont want to get rid of. Two under the sink organizer drawers that have never been opened....infant supplies (bottles, sippies, teethers, etc..) for when we have another.

This is the left half of the room (Im standing in front of the yarn)...the crib is currently being used as a catch all for off season and outgrown clothes. Usually those bags get thrown in the alcove when we have a baby, but since it was empty...its began to collect crap. Under the bed is a storage box with excess toiletries, extra priority mailers. The red boxes in the alcove hold my wool yarn.

This is all my craft show WAHM inventory and display supplies. The book shelf holds mainly empty storage containers.

this is right outside the door, partially hidden by the half wall when you come up the stairs. Its extra Priority mail boxes and the stuff earmarked to donate...I have to hide it up here where the kids rarely go or they "rescue" things.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
I love those pix. That is the feeling I am trying to invoke in my home. I hope you can get it back to the way you want it soon.
Me too! its amazing!