Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My son is underweight

My DS is just that skinny but perfectly healthy, eats a ton etc. That said last year after a long sinus infection he lost a few pounds and he really doesn't have much to loose so it worried us a bit. I gave him daily smoothies and it brought him back up within two weeks. Lots of fruit with whole milk yogurt and/or kefir, flax seed oil, greens etc. Hard boiled eggs for breakfast, nice cheeses, avocados, peanut butter, coconut oil in granola bars.

Advertisement

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS is on Concerta 27mg, which he takes after breakfast. He only takes one dose per day. It is pretty much worn off by around 4pm. He generally eats an afternoon snack at Tae Kwon Do (where he has after school care before his TKD class), but it's so hard to know what exactly he's really eating at lunch. I send lunch some days, other days he buys lunch. But I just don't know for 100% sure how much he eats of his lunch. I know the teacher can't be expected to monitor his food intake. I will definitely try packing some avocado into him, as well as using coconut oil when I cook. He doesn't care for cheese *sigh* I am actually the one who looked up the percentages on the CDC website, the doctor didn't give that to me. He is definitely small-framed, but truly, he doesn't look healthy. His face looks sunken; he looks ill. The psychologist he sees for ADHD was concerned about his weight. I think I will take him into the ped, too.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Could someone throw me out a good, healthy recipe for a smoothie? I suppose "milkshake" was not quite the right term for what I would like to try because that implies gobs of ice cream. I am in uncharted territory here, I truly don't know how much of what to put into a smoothie. Please pardon my ignorance.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

You could do a smoothie with whole milk, peanut or almond butter, and banana. A slice of hearty, whole grain bread with peanut butter and banana or honey would also make a substantial snack.

This avocado-banana smoothie also looks awesome--just sub full-fat milk:
http://www.marthastewart.com/872689/...anana-smoothie

Or what about some whole milk yogurt sprinkled with sunflower seeds, nuts, and/or a little granola?

As others have pointed out, though, 25th percentile is not "underweight"; it is just the lower end of the distribution curve. My daughter is right around the 20th percentile for height and weight. She certainly on the small side, as I was as a kid, but perfectly healthy. On the other hand, if this is a change due to medication and/or your son doesn't look right to you, then certainly follow your instincts.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
You could do a smoothie with whole milk, peanut or almond butter, and banana.
We do this, and also add some Ovaltine! I also always put yogurt in smoothies- you could get whole milk plain yogurt to add.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Re: My son is underweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
You could do a smoothie with whole milk, peanut or almond butter, and banana. A slice of hearty, whole grain bread with peanut butter and banana or honey would also make a substantial snack.

This avocado-banana smoothie also looks awesome--just sub full-fat milk:
http://www.marthastewart.com/872689/...anana-smoothie

Or what about some whole milk yogurt sprinkled with sunflower seeds, nuts, and/or a little granola?

As others have pointed out, though, 25th percentile is not "underweight"; it is just the lower end of the distribution curve. My daughter is right around the 20th percentile for height and weight. She certainly on the small side, as I was as a kid, but perfectly healthy. On the other hand, if this is a change due to medication and/or your son doesn't look right to you, then certainly follow your instincts.
Thanks for the suggestion! Truly it isn't the percentage itself that has me concerned. I just looked it up out of my own curiosity. He looked healthy prior to starting the meds, and now he doesn't. He weighs the same as he did over a year ago, but is several inches taller. He looks frail and sickly now, he is not carrying enough weight for his frame. His psychologist is concerned, his grandparents have commented, even his Tae Kwon Do master has mentioned it and doesn't want him to get hurt sparring.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is on adhd meds and she is barely in the fifth percentile. However the doctor isn't concerned as long as she stays on that growth curve, which she has, with the exception of one dip into the 3rd percentile. At that point the doctor decreased the amount of medication she was getting. This seemed to help. As far as eating goes, I just offer as much nutrient dense foods and good fats as possible. My dd has always been tiny, but the meds has certainly stunted her growth. 25th percentile wouldn't concern me, but it's your child not mine.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would make sure he's getting lots of nutritious foods. I actually think that homemade or very high quality ice cream wouldn't be a bad idea. But it should be made with grass-fed milk and cream. Coconut oil and cod liver oil would be great supplements; green pastures makes a cinnamon cod liver oil that we chase with cream that isn't terrible.
Avocados are a good suggestion, and lots of butter and cream. Butter is villianized but it's actually very nutritious (from grass-fed cows, like kerrygold); ditto for cream. At our house we go through 1/5 gallons of whole raw milk, 1/4 gallon of cream, and 1 pound of butter every week, plus 2 dozen local eggs. Free-range egg yolks are super high in essential vitamins and taste a lot better than conventional, so they can be added to pretty much anything (raw) and you can't taste them. I add egg yolks to coffee, milk, hot chocolate, smoothies...be creative
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I would say too if you guys are tall don't worry about it unless he looks like he is starving child from some third world country.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 5th percentile for weight child. 1% for height.

Healthy and happy! And enjoying cotton candy from seeing Santa! I did not read the other posts but I wouldn't go off the % but more how the child looks and feels

Last edited by keen1981; 12-28-2012 at 04:59 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote