Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are your time limit rules for Tablets and gaming systems?

We have no time rules because I have never felt our kids routinely devote too much time to iPads. Of course some days they use them more than others, but they are also likely to go 2-3 days without using them at all. No one complains when I say it's time to go outside to play or when I pull out art supplies. I think if you put minimal effort into taking your children to the library, coloring with them, going outside with them etc....it would be odd for them to have so much free unstructured time that they could have an unhealthy attachment to tech time.

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't exactly limit time. My 8 year old gets 10 min when he first gets home and then he has to finish his nightly stuff before he can play again or watch tv. He honestly plays about an hour a day but it works for us, no battles and this is his nightly list
1. Gravel dumped out of shoes and shoes where they go
2. Lunch emptied out and set in a specific spot in kitchen
3. 2 pages of math homework
4. Any other homework
5. Miquon math with me (or math games)
6. Spelling
7. Read 2 poems out loud to someone other than just me--usually he calls people
8. Phonics work
9. Read 2-3 books
10. Feed the cat
11. Clean the bathroom
12. Shower ( every other day)
13. Work with his little brother ( he chose to work with him on writing)
14. Make himself a good snack
15. Get clothes ready for next day
16. Pack 1/2 his lunch (I do the main course in the am)
17. Get backpack ready
18. Set his alarm
19. Pick up his toys/trash/dishes
20. Daily writing work

He takes breaks and plays other stuff during the evening. He basically has from 4-8 to get it all done and as long as he's not sleep deprived he gets it done without problem so I don't feel too bad about my no specific time limit
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And it would be hard to say reading only unless you have a way to block stuff. I got n my tablet tonight and was only going to check my email but now I've checked Facebook, played a game and am posting on here :/
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't exactly limit, we just don't have a ton of time for them. My boys have tablets, ds's, PS2, and they did have a Wii until it broke (I don't think they broke it as they are very careful with their systems I think it just burnt out). Dh and I have a PS3 and they have some games for it as well. The rule is on "school days" all school work, chores, ect have to be done before they can watch a movie or play with their gaming systems. We have TKD, skating or roller derby almost every night of the week and as a result they rarely play on a gaming system. Actually Tharen who finishes his school work in time rarely asks preferring to play with Legos or go oustide, Kearnan will ask but he rarely has time. I limit the PS3 more than any of the other systems simply because it is in the living room and I don't want to watch them play most of the time. Most of the games on their tablets are educational so I don't mind them playing them. They don't read on their tablets at all other than some Touchie books. On weekends and off school weeks they spend more time watching movies or gaming and I allow it so long as they are getting along (if they fight the gaming units go away and they have to earn them back). I will only start limiting screen time if they spend more than 2-3 consecutive hours with a screen in front of their faces instead of playing but that doesn't happen all that often unless some one is sick and then all bets are off. They do take either the tablets or Ds's to doctors appts to have something to do in the waiting room and Kearnan takes his to roller derby so he doesn't get bored while dh and Tharen skate.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

So far we don't have rules about when and how much usage... we just keep an eye on how much electronic usage has been going on and try to keep them from spending too much time with it. Like, last night I watched a long movie with the kids, so today we didn't turn on the tv at all.

One thing that I do, that might be considered a rule, I certainly try to be consistent with it. DS is 5 and unfortunately still has a tantrum sometimes when he doesn't get his way. (couple reasons for that that I won't get into)..... Well, if I tell him "tonight" or "later" or "not right now" and he responds by loosing it completely, he can no longer use whatever it is he wanted for the rest of the day.
Same thing with asking over and over. If I say "after dinner" and all I hear for the next 2 hours is "NOW can I do it, NOW?? now now now??", then we will no longer do whatever it was he wanted to do after dinner.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old. They both go to work with me and DH (we teach at a small elementary school). The iPads they use belong to the school, and DH and I only put educational apps on them. I don't limit their time during school hours because it helps me and DH if they are entertaining themselves while we do lessons with the students. They spend most of their time doing other things though...my 5 year old draws pictures all day long. She draws them for me, DH, and all the students. My younger DD likes to play with all our math manipulatives. I guess I don't feel like I need to restrict their usage right now because it's not a problem.

We don't let them play any electronic devices in the car. We live 1.5 hours from the grocery store, so we do plenty of driving. We've found that the girls learn so much from paying attention to their surroundings even though there isn't much to see other than desert, mountains, and sometimes wild horses or coyotes. My 5 year old DD likes to read the signs to us and just this past weekend she figured out how to "read" the speed limit signs. She used to say "a six and a five" but this weekend she turned it into "sixty-five". Then she applied that knowledge to a Christmas light display that had some NASCAR numbers, and she surprised me when she said "eighty-eight." So all of that to say that we do not allow the girls to play on any electronic devices in the car as I think it is more beneficial for them to look around and have some down time. They don't need to be doing something every minute of every day...they need time to reflect too.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #17
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark
We have no time rules because I have never felt our kids routinely devote too much time to iPads. Of course some days they use them more than others, but they are also likely to go 2-3 days without using them at all. No one complains when I say it's time to go outside to play or when I pull out art supplies. I think if you put minimal effort into taking your children to the library, coloring with them, going outside with them etc....it would be odd for them to have so much free unstructured time that they could have an unhealthy attachment to tech time.
This is how we are with our kids. They go days without evening charging their dead tablets. They also rarely play their DS's or Wii. I'm thankful it's never been an issue. They'd rather play outside and are constantly doing arts and crafts.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read all the posts, but I wouldn't give unlimited reading time. The reason is that it really sets the temptation to lie to you very high. I'm certainly not saying that they will lie, but I'm also a practical enough person that I don't think it's a good idea to set them up with such obvious motivation.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #19
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I find it depends on the kid. My two DS's tire of video games and TV pretty quickly (within a half hour most times) and would rather be playing with lego or outside. My DD, would, if allowed, sit in front of a screen for longer periods of time. We have a pretty balanced life, just by routine, so I don't tend to fret about it too much. Most week days there just simply isn't time for much TV or games, as they are outside, doing extracurriculars, playing with friends, whatever.... Sometimes on the weekends I allow her to veg out, though, because she is a pretty high energy kid, and that is her down time and we all need down time. We have an agreement though that chores/homework/etc... must be done before TV/games and if we feel she has had enough, wit gets turned off, no questions asked. She is good about it. She also knows she can earn gaming time by doing extra school work (usually some rote practice, such as cursive writing, multiplication, etc...), so if she really wants to play a certain game, she pulls out some work and does it first. Saturday mornings, I often come down to her on the laptop and 3-4 pages of cursive writing done before 7 am. If only she could remember to make me coffee in that time...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I think reading on a tablet is bad for the eyes, so I wouldn't use the tablets for reading. My kids have Kindle ereaders for reading and itouch and DS for personal game time.

In our house media is not allowed for school aged children during the week (when school is in session) unless they are stuck at an appointment or something like that. Mon-Thur nights are homework, sports, chores, reading and family time. Weekends they can play with few limitations as long as they don't overdo it.