Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

HELP! No fetal movement following asthma attack and prednisone loading?!

Okay, so my asthma has been totally under control for the past 5 years. I'm 31 weeks prego. A few days ago, I started being short of breath ALL the time and having bronchospasms which required excessive use of my inhaler. I went to ER yesterday after one of these episodes because I felt that my sats were still low. I was right. I found out I have bronchitis on top of the asthma and that's where the problems were coming from. They gave me 2 breathing treatments and 120mg of prednisone. (Yeah, that's alot. 6 pills.) I asked the doc specifically about the effects on the baby and he said there would be none because I'd only be on a small dose for 5 days (40mg/day after the loading dose). This was around 2pm. At 3pm, Jase's movement STOPPED. He is normally extremely active, rambunctious, and reactive to us pushing on him/playing with his feet, etc. I monitored his heartrate constantly on the doppler and it stayed between 128 and 140 all night, which is normal for him. We went to the doc this morning. They did a NST, which he failed. He kept a perfectly consistent heartrate throughout the entire test, but did not accelerate at all. They then did a BPP where he scored 8 out of 8. Perfect. Fluid levels were good, placenta, heart, cord, everything was perfect and his weight is right on. My question is, if everything is so perfect, WHY did he stop moving for an entire day?! He is JUST NOW starting to move around again. They said thei prednisone didn't have anything to do with it, and maybe he just wore himself out after being so active immediately after the neb treatments.

Anyone have any experience like this after asthma, prednisone, etc?

Advertisement

Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! No fetal movement following asthma attack and prednisone loading?!

mama

I don't have experience to relate to this, but I would just keep close tabs on his kick counts and monitor him with the doppler if you have one...just to keep your anxiety at bay.

He probably just had a quite/restful day after you had been so sick....maybe he didn't "rest" well during your illness and is making up for it? He is probably just fine in there

At any rate, I believe that if you are still worried...it doesn't hurt to seek extra reassurance. Most OBGYN's offices will allow you to come in for a check on the baby....and if you go longer than the recommended amount of time without enough kicks, it never hurts to go to the ER for a NST. You can never be too careful. Keeping a kick count sheet each day will give you "evidence" of why you are worried....it may help them take you more seriously if you have concerns.

Also...be sure that you are hydrated....drink extra fluids, juice and cold water should wake up a sleepy baby
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP! No fetal movement following asthma attack and prednisone loading?!

I was really sick for a few days this pregnancy and that happened to me as well. Baby hardly moved for a couple of days. Everything is back to normal now and OB says sometimes if you don't feel well that they slow down too.
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Keep track of kick counts and if anything seems off to you call your dr or go to the hosp. Always listen to your intuition! I hope they will continue to do NSTs.