Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #41
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Do you think the movie Shrek is appropriate for a 4 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Would you let your 4 year old watch the movie Shrek? My 4 year old son was at my in-laws for a couple of days and they let him watch it. I don't think it's appropriate at all. Am I odd for thinking that?

We haven't said anything to them yet. I'm not sure exactly how we are going to approach it. For right now, I'm just wondering if I'm odd for being a little upset they let him watch Shrek.

Thanks for your thoughts!
No. You are not odd at all!

In our family, we do NO MAGIC at all. So, Shrek would be a huge "no" for us.

But aside from that, I don't like how the donkey and Shrek interact with each other. I don't like the name calling and banter. I don't care for the underlying sexual innuendos and double meanings. I really would prefer my child never hear any part of "I like big butts and I cannot lie" until they are at least ten....

Not weird. I'd be pretty upset, too. ESP if they know your family's entertainment rules. Do they?

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #42
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're fairly picky on movies, but I don't think that one is a big deal. I'm a little more bothered by the one that has a transvestite princess, though.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #43
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638 View Post
I wouldn't, but I also don't let my kids watch spongebob either. I don't think adult humor has a place in children's movies.
I agree with this. And you're not odd, no matter which side you're on. I would not let my four year old watch shrek. I wouldn't let my 6 year old either. I don't know about older than that, because that's my oldest. We're pretty strict with TV though.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #44
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Don't have a problem with shrek. My DD1 has watched it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
No. You are not odd at all!

In our family, we do NO MAGIC at all. So, Shrek would be a huge "no" for us.

But aside from that, I don't like how the donkey and Shrek interact with each other. I don't like the name calling and banter. I don't care for the underlying sexual innuendos and double meanings. I really would prefer my child never hear any part of "I like big butts and I cannot lie" until they are at least ten....

Not weird. I'd be pretty upset, too. ESP if they know your family's entertainment rules. Do they?
Well, they lived with us for 8 months and moved out less than a year ago. So....I'd say, yes, they know us and our parenting pretty well. However, I actually don't talk much about what I do or don't let my kids watch. I am almost always here and I guide or make the decision. I rarely find any reason to point out the movies I'm avoiding to anyone. So, I'm not sure if I ever really said much to my in-laws about it even when they were living here. Until recently, I just trusted them to pick appropriate movies because they are conservative Christians just like us.I mean, my husband learned his values from them, right. Obviously, I'm realizing we can't do that. We definitely learned our lesson and will be setting more firm boundaries with movies.

And, I totally forgot about the "I like big butts" song! I can totally see my son singing that around the house. ETA - And, of course now it's stuck in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I agree with this. And you're not odd, no matter which side you're on. I would not let my four year old watch shrek. I wouldn't let my 6 year old either. I don't know about older than that, because that's my oldest. We're pretty strict with TV though.
I wouldn't let Zack watch it either. (And still won't. None of the other kids will see it and my 4 year old boy won't again either.) Zack is very innocent still at 7 and I want to keep it that way. I don't know at what age I would be okay with it.

The movie is funny. I enjoy it as an adult. In fact, I used to own it. But, I don't think it's for kids. My mom was strict with movies growing up too. I watch what I want now, but when I was younger I couldn't. Funny, some movies my mom let me watch, I won't let my kids.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Only you can say what is acceptable for your house and family. In my house yes definitely he could watch it. He was already watching Shrek by the time he was 2.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #47
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

my dh lets the 2 yr old watch almost anything, so shrek is minor in comparison. having said that, though I used to be super strict with stuff my kids watched....what would bother me is not being asked, "hey, is it ok if we watch shrek with your LO tonight?"
Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #48
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
From my recollection, Shrek can be rude. I am just allowing my 4 year old daughter to watch movies, including The Velveteen Rabbit, The Wizard of Oz and Toy Story. Shrek would not be on my list.

I have a question for you, OP. My daughter's aunt and a one-time vacation babysitter have both apparently allowed her to play Angry Birds, which I know nothing about. I'm not sure if I should be annoyed about that. Would you be annoyed?

I feel like I'm losing control here. I wonder if it's part of letting go.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #49
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know the question is directed to the OP, but angry birds doesn't bother me.

It's just a 'knock over the blocks' type of game. The 'angry' part only comes into play if you watch the little intro movie and see 'why' they're trying to knock over the pigs and blocks.

that being said, DD is 2 and certainly doesn't understand how to aim those birds, but she thinks the music is fantastic and opens the app almost every time she gets ahold of my phone.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 12-12-2012 at 01:58 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #50
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My oldest was obsessed with shrek at 2 and 3. He would laugh endlessly at it and I have fond memories of snuggling in bed with him on Saturday mornings to watch it and pretend we didn't need to get up.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 12-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote