Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Anyone not take vitamins during pregnancy?

I was taking prenatals before and early in this pregnancy pretty regularly, but when morning sickness hit around 6 weeks I started taking them less and then around 8 weeks it got really bad and I haven't been able to take any since. I'm now 15 weeks. I hope I'll feel better soon so I can take them. I've lost weight due to being sick and I'm still breastfeeding, but only twice a day and there isn't much milk there. The 12 week ultrasound was ok. I just feel bad that maybe my baby won't be a smart or as healthy because I haven't been taking them. I guess in the past no one took them though right?

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone not take vitamins during pregnancy?

I have not taken any this time and only took last time when I could not get anything but rice down.....then adopted and she is really smart......
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the same thing with my last pregnancy and this one, I just feel too sick and then forget some of the time. I take them when I can. My 2 year old is perfectly healthy and super smart
Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
ingrid5699
Registered Users

I've had to stop worrying about things like that- With hyperemesis anything that stays down is a success and prenatals plain and simply don't. I was taking a plain folic acid during the early important weeks but have slacked off on that too now. Yes in an ideal world I would eat a balanced diet and take prenatals but then again in a perfect world I would not be puking my guts out on 3 different meds at 16w either :P
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just about 6 weeks along, and I breastfeed twice a day as well. I found that my first prenatals I bought made me so nausiated, so I switched to gummi prenatals, and because it requires 2 gummis a day, I take 1 in the morning, and 1 at night, and I see a big difference!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't take them daily with my first two, just sporadically. This time I bought some gummy vitamins. But still, not every day My kiddos are just fine.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't during most of my pregnancy due to morning sickness and the fact that they make it worse for me. I try to eat well to compensate.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I couldn't keep mine down I talked to my OB & was given a prescription for vitamins that were a snap to keep down. There are also gummy prenatals now & while I don't think they're good enough they're better than nothing. I would try every possible prenatal before taking them sparingly or not at all.

Just talk to your OB.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Some things you can try to get at least something:
Switch to taking it before bed instead of mornings - this helped me a TON.
Try a capsule prenatal and empty the capsules into a smoothie.
Take a prenatal with ginger.
If you can't stomach any pills at all, try Emergen-C or even Ensure to get some vitamins. Something is better than nothing.

Vitamin intake is really important not just for smarts or weight, but also to prevent birth defects and other complications. Obviously, HG and similar conditions are beyond your control, so just do what you can and be creative of you have to!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

I took the gummy vitamins, one in the morning and one at night. The regular prenatals came back up as soon as I took them, even being on zofran the whole pregnancy. The gummies are not the best vitamin-wise, but they are a heck of a lot better than nothing. Vitamins are beneficial to fetus and brain development; I feel that it is important to do the best you can.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote