View Poll Results: Do you prefer OS or sized diapering systems?
I prefer OS 42 51.22%
I prefer a 2 or 3 size system 40 48.78%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #31
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many people actually prefer OS?

The majority of our diapers are one size. I have an 8 month old and a 3 yo still in diapers. I need something that fits both. But even before I had my youngest, I preferred one size diapers for the cost benefits. My babies all have long legs and tiny waists so having slightly bulky diapers actually helped the larger sized pants that I need for length to fit their waist better LOL Besides, if I had to buy a new size of diapers every few months, I'd never be able to afford it. I buy mostly cheap used BGOS diapers and new ALVAs in coops and it works well for us. I do have a few sized fitteds that I love and use them with our crocheted woolies and I love the fit of them on my babies but I could never afford a full stash of that.

Advertisement

~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I've authored some of those polls along with some market research for a business class project on the cloth diaper biz.

It seems a lot of people prefer the idea of OS but they just aren't OS. According to CDC growth charts, and according to reviews stating what weight range diapers really fit, about 85% of newborns and 75% of 2 1/2 year olds won't fit in OS diapers.

So I'd always suggest people plan for newborn, a middle size or two (many mediums fit from "post newborn" to potty), and then transition to super absorbent training pants by age 2.

I liked both OS and sized. Flips were a great cover, and it's nice to snap down the rise or increase it depending how bulky the diaper is. But for days gDiapers and flats were our accidental champion.

It's more profitable for companies to offer OS diapers because they then make a ton of the same thing. It's also easy to sell because they don't disclose how likely it is that the OS won't fit birth to training pants. People don't like the up front cost of diapers so os sells best, so demand is for os...

Hopefully in time sized diapers will be more available and consumers will be better informed about what they will likely need to buy.

It's funny to me that it's successful to sell a newborn plus OS system, but not one that calls itself a two size system.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #33
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I guess I technically do nb and OS. My baby's are small and skinny, so they drown in a 2 size system as newborns....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
Nattiecake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use flats/fitteds and covers, so my diapers are all pretty one size and I LOVE IT! However, I would definitely get some sized fitteds and covers for a newborn.

+ + + + + my boutique baby shop
Nattiecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
I've authored some of those polls along with some market research for a business class project on the cloth diaper biz.

It seems a lot of people prefer the idea of OS but they just aren't OS. According to CDC growth charts, and according to reviews stating what weight range diapers really fit, about 85% of newborns and 75% of 2 1/2 year olds won't fit in OS diapers.

So I'd always suggest people plan for newborn, a middle size or two (many mediums fit from "post newborn" to potty), and then transition to super absorbent training pants by age 2.

I liked both OS and sized. Flips were a great cover, and it's nice to snap down the rise or increase it depending how bulky the diaper is. But for days gDiapers and flats were our accidental champion.

It's more profitable for companies to offer OS diapers because they then make a ton of the same thing. It's also easy to sell because they don't disclose how likely it is that the OS won't fit birth to training pants. People don't like the up front cost of diapers so os sells best, so demand is for os...

Hopefully in time sized diapers will be more available and consumers will be better informed about what they will likely need to buy.

It's funny to me that it's successful to sell a newborn plus OS system, but not one that calls itself a two size system.
Thanks. I have seen a lot of your comments including your research, but this is time it finally clicked. (Maybe it was because it was my question, so it's how my brain is working today) I had had commercial brands tell me they were uninterested in making sized because the market is overwhelmingly for OS, but I just hadn't seen it on here, so this makes a lot of sense.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
mommynieb
Registered Users

I use OS covers with sized prefolds, so I'm not sure which bucket I would fall in to. But I enjoy the secure fit of using a prefold specific for my son's size but also the ease of just unsnapping the rise on the cover to size up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using DS Forum
mommynieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #37
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a bunch of one sized but also sized diapers too. I like them both for different reasons.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #38
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocloth2 View Post
Maybe it's because my son is on the small side, but the OS I tried looked bulky on him even when he was over a year old! Plus most OS don't come in side-snaps, and front-snapping diapers don't fit him well, either.
This was us. My kids never even wore larges because they were so poofy in the rear. They needed the rise of a large, but the width of a medium. No WAHM made M/L dipes at the time, but I did find a few that were willing to try it out for me, and they worked great. And, NO front fastening dipe worked ds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post

It's funny because people buy a diaper because it is called one size, but they typically end up going through at least two sizes. But, I know the manufacturers are just responding to demand.

I can see a place for OS dipes and I even like the idea. I just don't care for the fit and the aesthetics.

Trainers are a different story. Here they were useless. Real underwear and a few daysnatnhome did the trick.

Last edited by mothergooseofthree; 12-12-2012 at 08:49 PM.
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #39
thinkingahead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm mixed so I didn't vote. I sized like prefolds and bsww, but have to say I'm pretty impressed with how early my flips (with flats and flip organic prefolds) fit DD and how well they fit DS before he PLd (they were his night diaper). I also love the fit of the (old) BG organics though DS outgrew them at around 2 so I don't really consider them OS. DD is smaller, so they may last for her.
thinkingahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #40
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinJenna View Post
I have 2 in diapers so having OS means I don't need one set for my 5 month old and one set for my 2 year old. My diapers are easily sized to fit either boy :-)
This, but mine are 6 months and 2 years! And even my 3.5 year old wears them at night.