Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't understand people who say disposables are cheaper

I only spent $60-80/ month using Target sposies to diaper twins. I never used one coupon. So ya, I'm one of those who thinks using sposies is cheap - Waaayyyy cheaper than cloth diapering for our family. BTW, I full heartedly believe Target sposies are the best! I just wish Target also made a night time sposie.

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cloth will always be cheaper. You have to compare apples to apples. If you're going to compare the flat out least expensive option for sposies purchased with a coupon, then you need to compare that to the absolute cheapest brand of cloth, bought during sales. You can get 24 Osocozy flats for $36 (that's not even a sale price). Add in 6 Flip covers during a seconds sale and you've spent a total of $96 for a full stash. When you're finished with them lets say you sell them for 70% less than what you paid for a 30% return on your investment. That's a grand total of $67.20 spent. I challenge anyone to use disposables for 2 years and only spend that. Now, I haven't factored in detergent, water, etc, but I also didn't factor in disposable wipes and extra garbage bags on the other end... With cloth, you have something to sell at the end. With disposables, you have trash.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #23
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just be the voice of dissent.

Cloth for us costs more. Our electricity here is 4x the national average and I'm line drying EVERYTHING. It still costs me about $73/month vs buying a huge box at Costco. I have NO idea the cost of disposables since we've never used them but I do know that I am not saving this time around. Granted I've only spent $750 on diapers for 4 children but I'd financially be better off selling my stash and using paper diapers...but I won't! I'm a die hard cloth lover! Better for their heinies and the earth. <3

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #24
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was going couch shopping, I went to a Clearance place and bought my couch. I paid $350. It was missing throw cushions but was a very expensive $2000 couch. I had a friend that her couch was getting ratty and had stains due to young kids. They were all finally over the age of 5, so she wanted to buy a new one. I told her about my great deal. She said she could never "save up that much" so she bought a couch at a Rent-a-PayThroughTheNose place. I think she paid $50 a month for 3 years. ($1,800.)

It's the mentality of short term -vs- long run. Short term disposables are affordable in small installments. Long term cloth is cheaper.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
I only spent $60-80/ month using Target sposies to diaper twins. I never used one coupon. So ya, I'm one of those who thinks using sposies is cheap - Waaayyyy cheaper than cloth diapering for our family. BTW, I full heartedly believe Target sposies are the best! I just wish Target also made a night time sposie.
They changed in the last few months and now suck.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #26
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Just be the voice of dissent.

Cloth for us costs more. Our electricity here is 4x the national average and I'm line drying EVERYTHING. It still costs me about $73/month vs buying a huge box at Costco. I have NO idea the cost of disposables since we've never used them but I do know that I am not saving this time around. Granted I've only spent $750 on diapers for 4 children but I'd financially be better off selling my stash and using paper diapers...but I won't! I'm a die hard cloth lover! Better for their heinies and the earth. <3
I hadn't thought of that. That must be one killer electric bill (it's high where I live too but nowhere near that). That reminds though, I really miss Hawaii! I haven't been there in 11 years.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #27
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
When I was going couch shopping, I went to a Clearance place and bought my couch. I paid $350. It was missing throw cushions but was a very expensive $2000 couch. I had a friend that her couch was getting ratty and had stains due to young kids. They were all finally over the age of 5, so she wanted to buy a new one. I told her about my great deal. She said she could never "save up that much" so she bought a couch at a Rent-a-PayThroughTheNose place. I think she paid $50 a month for 3 years. ($1,800.)

It's the mentality of short term -vs- long run. Short term disposables are affordable in small installments. Long term cloth is cheaper.
Those places are such a rip off. Totally ot. I got a flyer in the mail from Aaron's. Advertising a kindle for. Only $38 a month for 18 months. You do the math...they're $159 regular price. $139 on sale!
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
risata
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
They changed in the last few months and now suck.
That's a bummer. They're pretty much all we used until I started CD DD2 at age 2. By the time we made the switch to cloth we were going through one big box every four weeks, so it really was only costing us about $25/month w/out coupons (not including wipes.) DD was not a heavy wetter -- with the overnight diaper and getting changed every 2-3 hours during the day we were going through 5-6 diapers a day.

Between what I bought for her, my guesstimate at the cost to clean them, and then what I got back when I sold some diapers, I figure we just about broke even in four months. For us it definitely would be cheaper in the long run to use cloth.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know why either. Disposables were very expensive for us. My oldest was in sposies until we switched to cloth at a year. e tried every single brand under the sun and the only one he could wear and not explode out of were Huggies Supreme. The best price at the time was from Costco at just under $40. Then we went through wipes like water at about $20 a month. We did a whole cost analysis and spreadsheet to determine exactly how much we had spent and what our average costs were. I was actually shocked when I saw what our savings would be even if we switched and he PTed by age 2. He actually did not train until he was almost 3 and then was in night diapers until age 4. My 3rd child is now wearing those same diapers that have obviously paid for themselves many times over.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthdayMama View Post
Whew, lots of suggestions! We are not on septic, it's the washer that's anti-bleach. It's a compact (as in, 2.2 cu. ft.) Bosch Axxis. It has no bleach dispenser, and it says all over it that chlorine bleach will corrode a particular metal in the drum. Part of me doesn't believe that's really true, but the majority of my doesn't want to risk a $1800 washer to find out.

We have a VERY comprehensive stash and have just about every type of diaper. Flats, wool, stay-dry, you name it. None of it seems to matter, and I'm dealing with it on both kids. I battled the exact. same. problem with ODD and old Original Tide fixed it. But I ran out of it a year ago, and have tried around 15 detergents. No luck. And yes, I've stripped multiple times as well. And I use oxygen bleach. I'm kinda just over it at this point. I've probably spent close to $200 on rash creams and detergents. Thinking I'm just going to take some time off. I just wish my giant EBF LO didn't blow out of the cheap sposies.

Oh, and I really do think it's mostly that people just don't change diapers. I have a friend who only changes her kids' diapers twice: morning and night. She gets annoyed with her two-year-old for asking for a diaper change if she's not poopy. So gross.
I have a friend like that too! That is sooooo gross. Her reasoning is that he goes 12 hours at night with the same dipe. HELLO! He's not EATING AND DRINKING!! Of course he can go all night with one dipe.