Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #31
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I don't understand people who say disposables are cheaper

Around here unless you have a way to get rid of trash cheaply, it costs $2.75 per bag (30 gal) that the town sells (how we pay for trash here). I can't imagine the cost alone changing a newborn 14-16 times a day on average and adding trash from a family of five (well six with my mom here right now lol).

Still...I don't want to get into the debate of the whole sposie war but even if it's more expensive to cloth in theory for a child's well being we'll always take the better approach

Advertisement

PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
buko
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
I think its just that most people are VERY short term thinkers - especially financially. They look at the cost of disposables - lets say $20 a box that they can get "on sale" for $15 a box and they can NEVER in their wildest dreams conceive that they would EVER spend $500 on disposables. Of course, most people don't do the math.

Then, if they do do the math...they prefer to have the steady cost of $60 a month over the up front large cost of cloth - which is anywhere from $250-$500. That's just more than a lot of people can swing at one time - especially when they likely have SO many other things that they're needing to buy. Add to that that they are likely to be taking some type of pay cut or major pay reduction or something.

So....I think people would be WAY more honest if they would say.....I can't pay the upfront money of cloth rather than "cloth is more expensive"

Of course, I think it takes a specific kind of person to absorb the "extra" that cloth requires - either extra committed to saving money, extra committed to the environment, extra committed to the health of your child (in a natural way). Because even though we all know that cloth is easier - cheaper - better....it does take an large initial investment of time, money, knowledge, research, shopping, etc.

Sposies take none of that - you just put them in the cart.

I think its just easier for people to say "its more expensive" than it is for them to evaluate the options.

I totally understand that, I really do. But, I am with you that I don't understand "Its more expensive" That's just silly
Yep!
buko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #33
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthdayMama View Post
Oh, and I really do think it's mostly that people just don't change diapers. I have a friend who only changes her kids' diapers twice: morning and night. She gets annoyed with her two-year-old for asking for a diaper change if she's not poopy. So gross.
Oh my! Get that kid on the potty. SO sad.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I spend $54ish a month for 2 kids in diapers + 1 bag of PulUps. ? I change my 1 year old 5-8 times a day, but my toddler 3-4 (hes PLing and is the same in cloth, holds it till he floods). One PulUp per night. We use Luvs or Up+Up unless I have coupons. One box is $16 and lasts a month. One bag of PulUps is $8. I get 2 boxes. 1 box of Equate Wipes is $7 something and has 8 packs and lasts a month. Ive used sposies the last month. . .Pregnancy and Holidays its just way easier now I know I have a stash valued at about $500-$600, which wouldnt value a years worth of disposables. But for a family on a budget, $50 a month is easier then $500 at one time. A lot of Moms dont want to use flats/prefolds and covers, which I understand. I love cloth, but I understand why people dont want to use it, or why they get sticker shock.

Last edited by Mom2ManyBlessings; 12-13-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama View Post
Cloth will always be cheaper. You have to compare apples to apples. If you're going to compare the flat out least expensive option for sposies purchased with a coupon, then you need to compare that to the absolute cheapest brand of cloth, bought during sales. You can get 24 Osocozy flats for $36 (that's not even a sale price). Add in 6 Flip covers during a seconds sale and you've spent a total of $96 for a full stash. When you're finished with them lets say you sell them for 70% less than what you paid for a 30% return on your investment. That's a grand total of $67.20 spent. I challenge anyone to use disposables for 2 years and only spend that. Now, I haven't factored in detergent, water, etc, but I also didn't factor in disposable wipes and extra garbage bags on the other end... With cloth, you have something to sell at the end. With disposables, you have trash.
But there are a lot of people who can't use flats or prefolds. My daycare has no problem using our all in ones, but there is no way they would use a flat or a prefold. But if we were using sposies, they couldn't care less which brand we bring in. My older son potty trained at 2 3/4, younger son is now 2 1/4 and not even close. So for us, even using more expensive cloth diapers are still a cost savings. But if your child were to potty train sooner, or if you only have one child, I definitely think it is possible that it could be cheaper to use sposies than to do cloth.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also think that the majority of people who say cloth is more expensive don't change diapers regularly. My sisters use disposables and will NOT change a diaper unless it is poopy or FALLING OFF. It is so gross.

Also the it's cheaper to use disposables really means, "I'm too lazy and don't give a crap".

We pay upwards of $280 a month during the summer months for our electric(well water so we don't pay for that), and I always look back through the last couple years online to see if one year was more than another. There wasn't an increase in our bill while cloth diapering. Now we actually have an energy efficient drier, so that should really help. Plus during the non-rainy months I line dry.

The first time I did cloth I did all prefolds and PUL covers, with one wool for nighttime. There is no way you can spend less than that system by doing disposable. And the upfront start up cost of a prefold system isn't much. We were unemployed at the time and made it happen.

I plan to spend more on my diapers this time(I thought I was done and sold everything) and will stay not spend anywhere near what I would with disposables, especially since what I buy now can be used to diaper another baby in the future.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #37
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it just depends on what cloth you use! If you are a diaper churned or have a huge stash then I def think sposies are cheaper. I know with my 4 year old with my crazy diaper buying sprees I spent way more on cloth than sposies would have cost. Even with selling. Now for my baby I 'd say our current stash was about $600....but that's not taking into account all the money I've spent on churning the stash to find what works for my hard to fit 10 month old. And the money I have lost doing it. So I'm really not sure I will save in the long run with her either. Especially if what works now stops working for us as she grows!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
But for a family on a budget, $50 a month is easier then $500 at one time. A lot of Moms dont want to use flats/prefolds and covers, which I understand. I love cloth, but I understand why people dont want to use it, or why they get sticker shock.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #39
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmJoyFul View Post
Also the it's cheaper to use disposables really means, "I'm too lazy and don't give a crap".
I think thats harsh and very untrue. I know a lot of Moms who care a lot, change their baby often but prefer the cheaper monthly cost to the investment up front. And yes, they dont want to use prefolds. However they are not lazy and they do give a crap.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #40
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

It's all about the couponing. I have been using sposies on my 2 Minh old since he was born and am just coming to the last box now. I paid all of $5 including tax for all of that. Yes, some were gifts and some came home from the hospital with me, but most were purchased by me, on sale or clearance, with coupons. I have in the past gotten 6 months of sposies and a years worth of wipes for free (or around $10 to $15, if you want to include the cost of the newspapers the coupons were in, though dipes and wipes were not the only coupons I used from them).

Yeah it can for sure be cheaper when you can get them for free.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote