Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

xmas gift ideas on the cheap

We can't really afford xmas this year, to many surprise medical expenses. However, I still would like to get/make gifts for the kids in my life. There are 2 boy and 2 girl teens/tweens (12, 13, & 14), 2 4yr old boys, and one infant. For the bebe' I was thinking of just wrapping some boxes so she can unwrap something, and what kid that young doesn't like boxes to crawl in and out of. The older kids, I'm lost. I can scrape together $20, maybe $30 for either really cheap gifts or supplies, but I don't know what to get/make. Hats and scarves are out, since I already did that this year. I can knit really easy items and am the pretty good at crochet or tunisian crochet, not particularly crafty unless its really easy (like no power tools or anything like that).

We where going to skip xmas this year, but the hubs is into it, so here we are. Anyone got any ideas?

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: xmas gift ideas on the cheap

For the 4 year old boys, what about art supplies? Paper, stickers, & crayons can be under $10 and provide hours of fun! I'm lost on the teen ideas... I'm not there yet!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

can you make them some special things- like if say, snickers are their favorite candy bars you can make some homemade. Or if the older kids have MP3 players, you could knit cases for them? If you have money for supplies, I would even suggest going to Michaels' or Jo-Anns with the 40% off coupons- they have toys, so you could get the 4 yr olds like the tubes of animals, and the teens craft kits or baking supplies?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
sojomisa
Registered
seller

Could you look at the $5 movie section at target?

Do the older ones have Ipods? If you could stretch it to $40 you could get the older 3 a $10 itunes GC and spend the extra $10 if that on coloring books/crayons for the little ones.

What about an ornament for each of them? I've seen them on sale everywhere now. Our Michael's has a huge section on sale.

Or just wanted around your local craft store. You're bound to find ideas on the cheap there.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
sojomisa
Registered
seller

Oh, the tubes of animals is a great idea. My oldest boy still asks for those. LOL. You can search online for printable coupons too.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

or thrift stores for stuff? or freecycle? I have things NIP, but they would be too much to ship, but for example, I have some new board games and other things, never opened. At thrift stores and freecycle, I see these things all the time, so maybe start asking/looking around?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
sojomisa
Registered
seller

For the tween/teen girls - Nail polish and or lip gloss. Target and Walmart has $1-$1.99 bottles nail polish.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
blackberry75
Registered Users

So many good ideas, thank you, thank you, thank you. I totes suck at gift giving.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the 2 4 year old boys, are they brothers? If so, I would say try to get your hands on a refridgerator box and paint it something cool to make it a "fort" or stand it up, cut a door in it and paint it like a rocket..something like that.

For the infant, when my DS was little, I took an empty plastic waterbottle and put uncooked beans in it and then superglued the cap on so he couldnt choke. He is now 2 and still to this day loves to make all kinds of racket with it! Since this would be a gift, maybe you could pretty it up by adding some confetti or something? As long as the lid is superglued on, the choking hazzard isnt high.

For the teens, I agree with the $5 movie bin. You could pick one out for each older kid and buy 1 box of microwave popcorn to split between them. Take the dvd and 1 popcorn packet per kid and wrap them up together in a pretty bow.

Could you knit or crochet them some funky colored socks with the fuzzy yarn or maybe do their school colors?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
For the 2 4 year old boys, are they brothers? If so, I would say try to get your hands on a refridgerator box and paint it something cool to make it a "fort" or stand it up, cut a door in it and paint it like a rocket..something like that.

For the infant, when my DS was little, I took an empty plastic waterbottle and put uncooked beans in it and then superglued the cap on so he couldnt choke. He is now 2 and still to this day loves to make all kinds of racket with it! Since this would be a gift, maybe you could pretty it up by adding some confetti or something? As long as the lid is superglued on, the choking hazzard isnt high.

For the teens, I agree with the $5 movie bin. You could pick one out for each older kid and buy 1 box of microwave popcorn to split between them. Take the dvd and 1 popcorn packet per kid and wrap them up together in a pretty bow.

Could you knit or crochet them some funky colored socks with the fuzzy yarn or maybe do their school colors?
No, the 4yr olds aren't brothers. One is mine and one is the kid of some friends, but we where invited to a party and I don't want to be the only one to show up w/o a gift. However I can get my hands on 2 large boxes (think dishwasher sized), paint them white and give the kids stickers and markers/craynons so they can decorate them themselves. I loved playing w/ boxes when I was a kids.

I love the rattle idea, I even have a cozy pattern for water bottles that I could modify so the end would be crcheted closed as added assurance that she couldn't get the beans out.

I have so much to think about now. Y'all are great!