Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Bleach then Strip or Strip then Bleach??

OK, I want to get rid of the farm in my house. I want to bleach and strip my dipes. Would you bleach them first then strip them with blue dawn or strip them first then bleach them with clorox? And how much bleach... I've heard anywhere from 1-2 tbs all the way up to 1/2 c! That's quite a difference.

Tracie ~*~mommy to~*~
Keller, 18 Madelyn, 14 Lenore, 11 (first marriage)
Tyrod, 21 months (28 wks, 28 oz) With my soul-mate Craig
and begging for 1 more!
breast4my3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Bleach then Strip or Strip then Bleach??

I bleach, then strip, in an HE FLer.
-cold rinse, no spin.
-add 1-2 tbsp bleach in the bleach drawer + 1 scoop charlies in the detergent area
-hot wash, hot wash, cold rinse.
-squirt of dawn (probably 1-2 tbsp again) in the detergent area
-hot wash, cold rinse, cold rinse.
If there are still bubbles, I continue with warm washes and/or cold rinses, depending on the amount of bubbles.
It's totally dependent on your washer (and probably your dipes and what type of stink and 1,000 other things) but this works for me.
We use BGE's, BG4.0's with hemp prefolds and hemp inserts.
+ + +
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Registered Users
You don't need to strip unless you are having repelling issues in your diapers. If its just the stink then a good full amount of detergent and about 1/2 c bleach for a full load should work.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

With "clean" diapers..

1/4 cup bleach and 2 tsp blue dawn.. then wash HOt. Sanitary if you got it, if your chicken use whitest of whites or longest hot cycle.. then when that cycle is complete wash again with the same cycle and nothing added. I've never had this Not work! And I've washed friends really really bad stinky diapers before with the routine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
Wife to 1 SeventhtimeMomma to:
N 7-01, L 12-02, B 7-05, J 2-07, L 12-08, S 10-10, and Q 5-29-12
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Registered Users
Re: Bleach then Strip or Strip then Bleach??

Exactly why do you need to strip? Stripping would be because of detergent or mineral residue. The bleach would disinfect any bacteria causing stink and/or ammonia. From your description it sounds like barnyard smell which would liekly be just dirty diapers. So I would wash on hot with 1/4-1/2 cup bleach and detergent then extra rinse. For the future though I would look into a better detergent and wash routine so that you don't have to do that on a regular basis.
Married to my soulmate Chris since 2004 Mama to big boy D 8/12/06, Big Girl M 3/7/10 and my sweet new boy E 9/10/12!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote