Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Baby play etiquette

Specifically, physical contact between babies.

I have taken ds to several different play groups since he was tiny, and even after tons of observation find myself confused about what to expect or allow when babies are interested in each other. Especially now that ds is mobile and touching everything, what are other moms expecting when he's approaching their LOs?

I have my own thoughts about it but am curious what others think.

Advertisement

Last edited by Miss squish; 12-13-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Miss squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd for the most part just lays there and plays with a few toys so it annoys me to no end when a mom let's her baby continue to go up to my dd and touch/hit/pat/drool on her. It's one thing to go check her out, touch her or see if she will play but if the kid is constantly crawling up to her and messing with her face it's time to re-direct. I always move her but there's always one kid in our playgroup who is only goal in life is to steal her nose or chew her hand and the mom doesn't care at all. (which is also why when I host they aren't invited)

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby play group etiquette

I understand babies are curious, but they need to be redirected if they are physically touching anyone, taking toys or their presence is upsetting to a particular kid.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss squish
Specifically, physical contact between babies.

I have taken ds to several different play groups since he was tiny, and even after tons of observation find myself confused about what to expect or allow when babies are interested in each other. Especially now that ds is mobile and touching everything, what are other moms expecting when he's approaching their LOs?

I have my own thoughts about it but am curious what others think.
So what are your thoughts?

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby play etiquette

I try treat others as I would like to be treated. If my baby was being touched by another baby but obviously not bothered in the least, I'd let it be. If another baby was (of course not MEANING to, simply because of the age) smacking my child or taking my child's toy to the point of bothering my baby, I'd deal with it by re-directing the one who was bothering the other. I would hope that mom would notice and move their child.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When my children became active babies... I would sit on the floor with them and let touching and interaction occur. If one baby was being too rough, I would gently stop it.. move them apart a little bit, offer the "offender" a toy and redirect.

If my baby hit another baby (they don't mean to be mean they're just babies after all), I moved him away and apologize to the other parent.

So.. let them interact, but be right there to keep accidental injuries from happening and to remove babies that have "had enough" from the situation.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
When my children became active babies... I would sit on the floor with them and let touching and interaction occur. If one baby was being too rough, I would gently stop it.. move them apart a little bit, offer the "offender" a toy and redirect.

If my baby hit another baby (they don't mean to be mean they're just babies after all), I moved him away and apologize to the other parent.

So.. let them interact, but be right there to keep accidental injuries from happening and to remove babies that have "had enough" from the situation.

God bless!
What she said! They need to explore to figure things out. I was comfy with all of it, and went by what my guy seemed comfy with, and reassured him that it was fine. I'm not one to get upset by accidental or social learning hitting and wrestling. My friend on the other hand would block most contact with her baby because wishes was afraid he would get hurt or scared. I followed her lead and kept my guy back as much as possible, encouraging side by side play instead. So follow mama and baby's lead.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by mrspopo; 07-08-2013 at 01:00 AM.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
So what are your thoughts?
I'm more along what a few people have said about allowing exploration between similar age/mobility babies as long as both babies are happy and nobody is being rough or excessively slobbered upon. I can appreciates what the first two posters shared and I'm assuming their babies are not yet mobile.......I generally allow ds to approach but not touch babies that are younger. Ds loved that kind of thing before he could move around on his own but most do not.

It's so hard to know what others are comfortable with because most parents won't say anything, just glare when it's too late......but I had an experience a couple days ago when ds approached another baby sitting on his own and touched his leg. The mom took ds's hand and pushed them away then turned his body around away from her kid and said don't touch! It bothered me and I told her I would move him if needed and picked him up and went across the room to play with something else. After that I didn't know if I'm the only one thinking they should just be allowed if everyone was enjoying.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with what doodah & mariamommy wrote. I add the rule that we don't touch faces in the hopes of avoiding eye-gouging.