Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Midwives not returning my calls! VENT!

So I'm about 11w and I've been trying to get in with the local midwives. I live in a rural area so we don't have too many options. I called them over a week ago and they didn't return my call, so I though "ok they're likely busy or a little backed up, so I will call again". So I called and final someone answered the phone. So my information was taken and the receptionist told me the midwives would have a meeting and discuss the possibility of taking me on as a patient and that I had to call back the following Tuesday and they would let me know the answer. So I called on Tuesday, like I was told, and again no answer. So I left a message with name and phone number asking if I could know the answer. I left this message early in the day. Again no one called back that day. They're in the office again today and again, no one has called. I tried calling again today and no answer. What the heck!!!???!!!! Doesn't this seem very unprofessional to anyone? Like if you tell someone to call and that you will have an answer for them, then isn't it your professional responsibility to call them back? I'm getting frustrated because I have no care provider at this moment (thankfully I'm still early) and I'm sick of chasing these midwives!

Advertisement

Last edited by *TinyJoys*; 12-13-2012 at 12:25 PM.
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't be issuing them. That is very unprofessional!

ETA: that is suppose to say using!

Last edited by Tina5834; 12-13-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Midwives not returning my calls! VENT!

I'd move on. You're getting to the point that you'll need to be seen soon and they obviously aren't too worried about it. Imagine if you were a patient with a problem.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I wouldn't be issuing them. That is very unprofessional!
yes this.

if they are hard to reach now, what could happen if you are 20 wks and start having unexplained bleeding or something? You will need to have someone reliable.

My MW always returns all calls within 24 hrs. If it is urgent, I leave a message or text and she responds immediately - like within the hour. I would expect nothing less of any other MW.

Hope you can find the perfect caregiver!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese
I'd move on. You're getting to the point that you'll need to be seen soon and they obviously aren't too worried about it. Imagine if you were a patient with a problem.
Yep.

I left my last OB b/c I was having problems (I was in and out of the hospital) and her office still wouldn't return my calls. Find someone who Wil take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ditch them, not cool at all. I am in a rural area too and had a similar experience with the two local midwifes, one actually made an appt. with me and then did NOT show up. I found out later that she was called to a birth but she never contacted me to cancel! I decided to look at midwives that are about an hour to 90 min. away and found a great gal who I adore. She answers my calls or emails with in 24 hours and when she is away at a birth it her outgoing message on her phone will say so. Is there any one else in your area you can interview?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Well I finally got a call back from them, but guess what, they won't see me until the 3rd week of January. That means I won't have had any check-ups for over 2 months!!! My last appointment was around 6 weeks so my next wouldn't be until around 16 or 17 weeks then. That's a long time to go without, don't you think? Maybe I should make an appointment with my family doctor or a self-referral OB for now. This is stressful!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
Ditch them, not cool at all. I am in a rural area too and had a similar experience with the two local midwifes, one actually made an appt. with me and then did NOT show up. I found out later that she was called to a birth but she never contacted me to cancel! I decided to look at midwives that are about an hour to 90 min. away and found a great gal who I adore. She answers my calls or emails with in 24 hours and when she is away at a birth it her outgoing message on her phone will say so. Is there any one else in your area you can interview?
Wow that's horrible, she actually didn't show and didn't bother to let you know?! Well, its kind of weird here in Canada. The midwives interview instead of you them. They're in control of whether they can take you. I wish it was like in the States but that's our universal healthcare for ya.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
While I don't necessarily agree that you're at a point where you need to be seen soon (I didn't go to the Dr until past 18 weeks this time), I do agree completely with moving on and not seeing them.
Even if they do contact you and say they'll take you on as a patient, they've shown themselves to be unreliable. That's not someone I would feel comfortable with providing care for me and baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
My MW always returns all calls within 24 hrs. If it is urgent, I leave a message or text and she responds immediately - like within the hour. I would expect nothing less of any other MW.
Yes, I would expect this of any care provider/office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
one actually made an appt. with me and then did NOT show up. I found out later that she was called to a birth but she never contacted me to cancel! I decided to look at midwives that are about an hour to 90 min. away and found a great gal who I adore. She answers my calls or emails with in 24 hours and when she is away at a birth it her outgoing message on her phone will say so.
That is really not okay! Good heavens! What if it was something serious happening, that you needed a response to immediately?!
I mean, I do understand that a MW would be busy while at a birth - that makes total sense and I would want her focused on her job "at hand" (no pun intended, lol) - but, like you mentioned with your OB now, anyone calling should be readily informed that she is at a birth and not able to answer calls right away, and given an alternate #/person to call in case of emergency.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
Well I finally got a call back from them, but guess what, they won't see me until the 3rd week of January. That means I won't have had any check-ups for over 2 months!!! My last appointment was around 6 weeks so my next wouldn't be until around 16 or 17 weeks then. That's a long time to go without, don't you think? Maybe I should make an appointment with my family doctor or a self-referral OB for now. This is stressful!
Like I said, I didn't see anyone at all until past 18 weeks this time, so I wouldn't be worried about not being seen for a couple months - that wouldn't bother me.
But, again, they've all ready proven themselves unreliable and that would make me uncomfortable and untrusting with them, so I would be looking elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
Well, its kind of weird here in Canada. The midwives interview instead of you them. They're in control of whether they can take you. I wish it was like in the States but that's our universal healthcare for ya.
From my experiences that's not a universal thing here - I've never had a problem getting in with any MWs or OBs. Sounds like it's just how they've chosen to do things.
I mean, if you call the MWs here there is a chance they may not be able to take you on as a patient, but that would be because they can only have so many moms due at the same time and if they're all ready "full" that month there's nothing they can do.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote