Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

anyone here RV fulltime?

I am wanting to get an RV for us to live in. I think a year this close to family is all I can handle. We rent this house from my parents, and pay rent yearly at tax time. We were planning on getting a loan In a couple years to buy It from them, but we are getting annoyed with the strained relationships this is causing. So this year I am thinking of using the money we would have spent on rent for the year, and get an rv. We can build a storage building at MILs for stuff we want to keep but cant take with us. There are tons of jobs you can do on the road, and also work opportunies at the campgrounds to get free/reduced lot fees. We would also stay close to home part of the year, and are pretty sure dh could work his current job while we are in town, to help supplement our on the road budget. I also have a business plan I am working on getting started with that would work great from the road.
So I'm just wondering if any of you have tried it, or are doing it now, and any advice would be great, as well as things you like/dont like about it. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone here RV fulltime?

I'm assuming you homeschool? Just make sure you know the laws along the way. Each state is different. That would be a big concern for me. Also what about medical care/dental? I have thought about it myself but both of these issues have been a huge stopper for me.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Yes. I homeschool. As far as I know, as long as you follow yout state of residences school laws it is fine. I will be maintaining residence in KY, so nothing eill change for me.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Hit send too soon. We will continue well checkups in KY, with our pediatricians and will be here in the winter if we stick with current plan. My kids rarely get sick, so we figured it would be just like going to the ER on vacation in the event we needed to.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Not us. But my husband grew up that way well, for the first part of his life. Then they settled down. He has fond memories.

I think it could be a great idea. Just depends on circumstance, really.

There are a lot of fees involved in campsites, etc, but if you apply to be camp host and such, you could get a deal. And if you pay for the RV outright and own it, then the fees wouldn't be a big deal.

We have a camper that attaches to a truck for camping. Works fine. Small... But fine.

You'd prolly want a small vehicle of some sort to haul so you could park and still have transportation. Would help with your DH's work and such.

I have a lot of friends who live in RV's full time but they're all retired. So they follow the seasons living down south in the winter, etc and when I worked outside the home, they'd live on our refuges and parks for free in exchange for volunteer labor. Was a good deal for them to keep busy and avoid campground fees.

But I don't personally know about living full time in an RV. If you don't get any replies, I can try to put you in contact with one or two of them and you can ask questions. You'll have to pm me though if you decide you want to.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, yes and no. I think that when all our kids are out of the house, we will RV around the country, but I want my kids to always have "their" home to come home too!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No advice but that sounds like a ton of fun. Definitely visit Mendocino California, its a place everyone should see at least once.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are a lot of blogs with families doing just this. But from what I have seen my opinion is most find it much harder and more expensive then they planned. The biggest issue tends to be jobs and fuel. RV's are very expensive to drive and many areas won't allow long term stays that aren't expensive. Space tends to be an issue also mentioned, as well as RV break downs (not as much with newer RV's), but the interiors do tend to show wear quickly with daily use like broken cabinets, toliets and things like that.

I think it is a romantic idea for many, that can be much more challenging then some plan for. There are families doing it well, but I have also heard of families who start out strong and then feel either stuck and can't get out, or leave the RV living behind. I think blogs are a great place to see how people really live in this lifestyle with the reality of the good and bad. I can't remember any sites right now as I read many a few years back. Maybe someone else has some good sites for you.

ETA- My friend just shared her crazy adventure of Mendocino, small world, but she did like the area.

Last edited by Fairycat; 12-14-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

We don't... yet, but we recently purchased a 40 ft camper that we'll be moving to after this school year is over. We plan to live in it while we build. We also plan to use it for regular travel around the country & when visiting people.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Camphost positions can be very hard to come by. It tends to be a network and those who do it often have the same positions for years. I wouldn't count on it for fees or income. Many places will not let you stay longterm. For example, in Ohio you can only stay 2 weeks out of a month in State parks. And, it can get expensive. Our State parks are nice, but at $25ish per day, it can be a pricy rent. Also, remember that food can get privy since you likely can only store small amounts at a time. No stocking up with sales.

Last edited by z2akids; 12-14-2012 at 06:54 AM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote