Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
A little bummed about our Chirstmas gifts for kids.

Originally we ordered a tablet computer online and were just going to give it to the kids to share.

Then my speech therapist told me that his clients were selling 3 NEW tablets for $50 each, because their kids already had tablets and they didn't need these. They were willing to take my $50 Target gift card as payment for one, and accept a $20 deposit to hold the other one for me and let me pay it off when my DH got paid.

So Scott (speech therapist) goes to get the tablets, and they wouldn't turn on and the family couldn't find the chargers. It turns out they were misleading when they said they were new... as in they weren't unused like they had hinted at, but were "barely used" and were "like new." That they took them away from their kids for "not using the internet responsibly."

But anyway, they couldn't find any of the chargers so were going to buy a "cheap charger." Well they couldn't find one, so they went to Best Buy and supposedly found one there that was compatible with their tablets.

So the next day, guess what, after supposedly charging them, they still wouldn't turn on. So they were taking them to Best Buy to have Geek Squad look at them. So when he texted them to ask what was going on with the tablets, they didn't even text back.

I finally just asked him to give us our gift card and cash back and we'd think of something else.

Oh, and I decided to buy the TWO tablets from the other family so that I could give the one I had ordered to DH for Christmas. He LOVED that idea when I accidentally let it slip.

So now, we decided to give DS1 the tablet that was ordered online. And while we were at Target, DS2 saw a digital camera that he wanted (it's in a hard plastic case with rubber grips). He LOVES taking pictures and was always stealing my camera to take pictures (until he broke it ).

So... the new plan is DS2 gets a digital camera and DS1 gets the tablet we ordered, and DH can get his tablet when we get our tax refund if he still wants one by then.

I'm just bummed. I really hope DS2 still loves the camera when he sees that his brother has a tablet. And I'm sad that now I can't get DH anything. He says "I wasn't getting you anything either so I didn't expect anything." I told him "I know, but not expecting something.. and then being told you're getting something and then having that not be the case... sux."

He really doesn't mind, but it still makes me sad. He was so excited when I told him that he was getting the tablet I had ordered online.

Anyway,... if you made it through my vent, thanks.

I just really want Christmas to be awesome and have great memories of it. Todays tragedy made me really realize that we never know how much time we'll have with our littles. And I want our holidays to be fabulous! Ya know?

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He can play with DS's tablet, right?
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A little bummed about our Chirstmas gifts for kids.

That sucks mama! I hate when people misrepresent items.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
Yes, we are going to encourage them to share with each other. And since DS1 is in school during the day, I'll let DS2 play on the tablet during the day while being supervised to make sure he doesn't break it. The rule will be he has to sti on the couch with it. Not allowed to walk around with it. Not allowed to sit on the floor, not allowed to take it into his room. Just on the couch where I can supervise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally's Fuzzies View Post
That sucks mama! I hate when people misrepresent items.
Thanks. At least it was discovered BEFORE I handed over the cash and my gift card.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to give DS3 for Christmas too.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'm sorry.... It really does suck, but I bet you guys will still have a great Christmas!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
Yeah, I would just make the tablet and camera for both of them, as shared gifts. Then they'll have to share or draw up a schedule or something. I think they'll be thrilled with those gifts! And DH can use it after the kids go to bed

What tablet did you get?
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

10 years from now, it will not be the gifts that made the Christmas Awesome, Mama!

Personally, I would make both the tablet and the camera "family" gifts in order to help foster the good memories of Christmas!

I did several family gifts this year- things the whole family will enjoy- a big bucket of "Gears", an ice cream maker, and a Cootie game. Each of the kids got smaller, more personalized gifts, small things they had expressed interest in.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSWmama View Post
Yeah, I would just make the tablet and camera for both of them, as shared gifts. Then they'll have to share or draw up a schedule or something. I think they'll be thrilled with those gifts! And DH can use it after the kids go to bed

What tablet did you get?
http://www.alldaymall.com/computers-...era-black.html

DS1 asked for an iPad (I told him if I had money to get an iPad, *I* would get the iPad, lol). Which is what made me start looking at tablets.

DS2 specificallly asked for the camera that we got him.

So we'll mark the gifts to each of them, and encourage them to share.

And yeah, DH plans on using the tablet when the kids are in bed or not using it.

God bless!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered Mama View Post
10 years from now, it will not be the gifts that made the Christmas Awesome, Mama!

Personally, I would make both the tablet and the camera "family" gifts in order to help foster the good memories of Christmas!

I did several family gifts this year- things the whole family will enjoy- a big bucket of "Gears", an ice cream maker, and a Cootie game. Each of the kids got smaller, more personalized gifts, small things they had expressed interest in.
To the bolded: Thanks. And I know you're right. It just sux that I was really excited and then it fell through.

God bless!