Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Surprise twins at 21w u/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traysee View Post
Being high risk qualifies you for more care. Why wouldn't you want to avail yourself of those benefits?
see I feel like that statement alone is negative and where alot of fear comes into play in pregnancy, or even childbearing years. I would feel somewhat bullied if I heard that from a Dr or friend.
lets try to be a bit more open minded for this new mom of twins

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
see I feel like that statement alone is negative and where alot of fear comes into play in pregnancy, or even childbearing years. I would feel somewhat bullied if I heard that from a Dr or friend.
lets try to be a bit more open minded for this new mom of twins
I agree. Whether or not you are meaning to it does seem like you are saying she (or any mom) who chooses to have twins anywhere but at the hospital is irresponsible

ISO/IHA

Last edited by jackobeano; 12-17-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

CONGRATS! How exciting!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
LeAdams7
Registered Users
seller

One of my twins was also in NICU for 10 days and outcome may have been different if I wasn't in the hospital. She was intubated. They were born at 35 w3days. Both also treated for jaundice. Chances are your twins will be fine but things do come up unexpectedly
LeAdams7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
stephbrown13
Registered Users

Congratulations! Keep in mind that just because you plan a homebirth with twins, it doesn't mean you're locked in. Lots of PP's are saying how they delivered early and had to be in the NICU, or there were complications, or baby A was breach etc. Most homebirth midwives would be refering you to the hospital for those things too. Homebirths are for low-risk, uncomplicated pregnancies. Sometimes this includes twins, sometimes not. A qualified and experienced midwife will refer you if needed.

I've had 2 homebirths and am very very nervous at the thought of a hospital birth. I was paranoid that they were going to find twins with this pregnancy My midwife doesn't attend twins at home, and although another in our community does I think I would go to the hospital. We have 2 OB's that are very pro vaginal birth for twins so I'd probably go that route personally. Then again I couldn't imagine being stuck in the hospital and away from my family during recovery so... I dunno. I'm glad I didn't have to make the choice.
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Amberlde
Registered Users
seller

I had a super uneventful pregnancy with my twins. Even mowed my 1 acre lawn 2 days before my c-section. I made it to 37w1d. And had a planned c-section bc baby b was curled up in a ball and we weren't sure what he would do when his brother was born.. I was glad to be in a hospital as Abe "baby A" aspirated A LOT of fluid and needed to be in the nicu for 4 days. His little brother was just fine..

At the end of the day you need to take all the info the other moms of multiples give you and use your husbands best judgement to do what is best for you. We have a midwife where I live that has delivered many twins at home.. Just make sure your midwife is confident if that is what you choose
Amberlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Amberlde
Registered Users
seller

I should add that my OB we very pro vaginal birth also.. He even said we could wait until I went into labor do a u/s and decide then.. But by 36w I was begging him to induce me.. LOL
Amberlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
Traysee
Registered Users
seller

You can extrapolate whatever you want from my posts. I am not pulling statistics out of thin air. You can find all of these statistics plenty of places. You can find those statistics already manifesting themselves right here in this post based on the experiences of us twin mamas that have posted here. It is a commonly accepted fact that a twin pregnancy is regarded as high risk. There are no widely accepted statistics for twin home births because there are not enough twin home births to make an accurate study.

I am not judging anyone. I hope that everyone does their own research. I stand by my opinion that if you have the right to the added benefit of extra care that you should take advantage of it. Not everyone gets the opportunity. Being classified as high risk doesn't mean you have an illness, it means you are eligible for more care. You will get more services. Your insurance will pay for it. What in that is negative?

I will always advocate for extra care and the peace of mind that you get from having the best possible safety procedures already in place. Hopefully you will never need it. Hopefully it will go very smoothly. I will always advocate for going to a hospital that has the highest level NICU available. I would want to insure my babies the safest possible entry into this world. It has nothing to do with trying to scare anyone, bully anyone or be negative.
She asked for the opinion and experiences of twin mama's.

During the pregnancy you may have a certain set of problems and yes if they come up you would be going to the hospital ahead of time but that would not help in an emergency situation during the actual birth. In an emergency when seconds and minutes matter, especially for the second baby, there is no time to get to a hospital and get set up for an emergency C. Do emergencies happen every single twin pregnancy? No of course not. OB's have gained a ton more experience birthing twins, but it doesn't change the fact that having twins is more complicated. The extra peace of mind is well worth a few days hospital stay.

No one can make the choice for you, we all have to decide for ourselves how much risk we want to take.

Last edited by Traysee; 12-17-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Traysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm still absorbing the news, and I can't imagine I will make a firm decision anytime soon. I'm going to meet with an OB this week who the perinatologist said would be the best bet for a natural hospital birth and see what she has to say. My midwife is also very experienced and has delivered many twins. I'm going to talk with some of her previous twin mamas and see what they have to say about it as well. I needed something to research besides strollers! Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I am so excited for your damily! We are expecting #5 in May and it started out as twins, but had 1 vanish, but I have hopes that next week we will have a surprise! (Ultrsound 18 weeks) but in MT it is illegal to hb w/ twins or breech babies. So I would have to go w/ an ob in the hossy which I think I will be fine w/ but I labor s.o quick that idk if I would even make it to hossy for the 1st baby! Lol anyways so excited for u, and I am wishing u luck in whatever u choose
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote