Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you did a more natural c-section...

My second c-section was planned. In between my first and second, the hospital moved to a new Labor and Delivery unit. I got to hold my baby right away. The baby did leave me for about 10 minutes, but I got to be in recovery with my baby. I nursed within the first 30 minutes. The baby stayed right on me for the 2 hours I was in recovery, and we were actually wheeled to the postpartum floor just like that. It was a world of difference from my first section, where my husband went with the baby to the nursery and I was in recovery alone. Our nursing relationship was much harder to establish.

Sometimes it is the hospital that makes the biggest impact, so I would recommend taking a tour or asking to speak to the charge RN before you deliver. Your doctor may not be able to control the environment.

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You also need to find out the rules at the hospital that you will be delivering at. Because no matter what your OB says is okay, hospital rules, well, rule. Like my OB told me that we could do delayed cord clamping and stick the baby directly from the womb onto my chest, but when I brought it up to the anatheologist (yes, I know this isn't how you spell it. haha) on the big day, he told me "no way".
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My perinatologist is the head of the perinatology department at that hospital and at least one other (he doesn't deliver at the other one I know of). Wouldn't he have some clout to help me?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would think so!
I was planning VBA2C with my last, but at 36 weeks, changed my mind. Had a talk with my midwife and my OB, and they were all for a "natural" aka Family centered c/s- it was new to both of them, but I emailed links to some videos, and then met with them to discuss what they could do for me. OB said it really came down to the anestesiologist- and I was able to talk to him the morning of and discuss things- he was ok with stuff as long as my OB approved.

Anyway- what I ended up with is very close to what I envisioned- my arms were never strapped down, drape was removed for delivery so I could watch- incision was made smaller so DD could be squeezed out more, then the cord was delayed clamping for a minute (not the 3-5 minutes I had wanted) and they used a breastfeeding friendly clamp that i provided. THey did take her to the warmer for a quick initial assessment- but then brought her to me, removed my gown, ekg leads and laid her naked on my bare chest between my breasts and covered us both with blankets. She was latched on an nursing before we left the OR!

I would definitely talk to the doc sooner rather than later- since time is on your side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
My perinatologist is the head of the perinatology department at that hospital and at least one other (he doesn't deliver at the other one I know of). Wouldn't he have some clout to help me?

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My OB said the skin to skin while they stitched me up would be difficult but that the baby could be near me and as much on me as possible with DHs help. I have let go of delayed cord clamping unfortunately but will walk the nurses through no immunization, no eye goop, do NOT bath my baby (I want to give her her first bath). Once we get to recovery I will try skin to skim but usually I throw up for 30 minutes or so, so we'll see how that goes. But I think if you talk now,right before the birth and are willing to speak up during your section you can get things to go your way on many things from my understanding Good luck!

Kristen - Helpmeet to an amazing DH. Mama to seven blessings (and #8 on the way!)
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
With my c/s per my request,
my husband was present,
my arms were not strapped down, no staples,
my dd was placed on my chest/neck after birth with my husbands assistance,
My dh stayed with my daughter while she was in the warmer while they sewed/glued me up.
I nursed my dd less than 30 minutes after birth in the recovery room.

My section was not planned, but i had about 24 hours notice. (Went to my 40 week appt. And was told i would be having a c/s the following morning)

Once out of recovery, we followed my natural birth plan. Baby never removed from room, no formula, pacis, sugarwater. Etc.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the sooner you start talking about it the better, but that is just my opinion.

I told my dh if I ever had to have another c-seciton I want it like this video. It shows a great natural c-seciton. (warning it could be gross to some people)
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the sooner you start talking about it the better, but that is just my opinion.

I told my dh if I ever had to have another c-seciton I want it like this video. It shows a great natural c-seciton. (warning it could be gross to some people)
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
vicky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is all about the hospital too. I just delivered Wednesday at a Woman's hospital, and it was the most amazing of my three birth experiences. The hospital was definitely geared for bonding. I hadn't really had a chance to think about options or anything. I delivered at 35 weeks 5 days after being on bedrest for 5 weeks in the hospital for 2 of those. When I delivered, I went to the section with so many questions. I asked them not to strap down my arms, and the dr was like- we never do that. They took her out and had a NICU team check her since she was early. However, they had the warmer, checking station about 10 feet from me and right where I could watch everything. They explained everything they were doing (which was nice since it took my mind off of my tummy being open and in the middle of surgery!). My other two kids were taken out of the or and brought to a nursery out of my sight. It was comforting to watch and be a part of her first minutes. They dried her off but wouldn't bathe her. Then, after checking her out, they made my husband hold her the rest of the time after they discovered she was fine. As soon as I was on the movable bed, they told me I needed to hold her while we left the OR. I was like, no way, I am shaking way too bad to hold her. They opened my gown and papoosed her to me! It was crazy. Then, in the recovery room, the nurse was literally nursing her for me in my bed- less than 30 mintues after I had her! I had all kinds of gunk hooked up to me and was shaking way too bad to try and nurse her myself. It was such a wonderful experience. It is never ideal to have your tummy cut open, but this experience was so much better and was wonderful. It was due to the hospital's rules and policies, though.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky View Post
I think it is all about the hospital too. I just delivered Wednesday at a Woman's hospital, and it was the most amazing of my three birth experiences. The hospital was definitely geared for bonding. I hadn't really had a chance to think about options or anything. I delivered at 35 weeks 5 days after being on bedrest for 5 weeks in the hospital for 2 of those. When I delivered, I went to the section with so many questions. I asked them not to strap down my arms, and the dr was like- we never do that. They took her out and had a NICU team check her since she was early. However, they had the warmer, checking station about 10 feet from me and right where I could watch everything. They explained everything they were doing (which was nice since it took my mind off of my tummy being open and in the middle of surgery!). My other two kids were taken out of the or and brought to a nursery out of my sight. It was comforting to watch and be a part of her first minutes. They dried her off but wouldn't bathe her. Then, after checking her out, they made my husband hold her the rest of the time after they discovered she was fine. As soon as I was on the movable bed, they told me I needed to hold her while we left the OR. I was like, no way, I am shaking way too bad to hold her. They opened my gown and papoosed her to me! It was crazy. Then, in the recovery room, the nurse was literally nursing her for me in my bed- less than 30 mintues after I had her! I had all kinds of gunk hooked up to me and was shaking way too bad to try and nurse her myself. It was such a wonderful experience. It is never ideal to have your tummy cut open, but this experience was so much better and was wonderful. It was due to the hospital's rules and policies, though.
Make sure to let the hospital know. These days they are VERY interested in patient feed back. At least the ones local to us are.