Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
blushingmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I want to hear your experience with castor oil

I've seen a few moms here mention taking it to induce labor. I'm so scared of the diarrhea side effect though, I don't know if I could do it! What was it like for you?

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Re: I want to hear your experience with castor oil

I did it the morning my water broke. I was 39 weeks and 5days. I took 2 oz with grape juice (still yuck!) and just felt kind of blah all morning. Around noon I had some "bathroom" visits that were major. My water ended up breaking around 2 and we headed to the hospital because I was group b strep postiive around 3 even though my contractions were light... I used the bathroom a total of 4 times at home and once on the way up to L&D at the hospital. My son wasn't delivered until 33 hours later and I never had to go again so I was happy to be cleaned out- ha!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
blushingmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

And my babies come fast! My longest labor was 8 hours, my last 2 were only 5... that scares me!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
blushingmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
kandbcase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I took it with my daughter & although I believe it worked I wouldn't do it again or recommend it. It was pretty gross & painful, I think I took it around 7p, started having contractions at 10p & had DD at 545 am.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done it twice.
First time My water broke but labor was not being constant and no where to being so. after 6 hours of waiting for labor to progress we decided it was time to help things along. Tried a bottle with water. *puke* then a bottle with orange juice. Got labor progressing right along and baby girl was born not long after. (Home birth)

I SWORE I would NEVER do it again! EVER!! Then.. Yep.. you guessed it. #5 water broke and yet again. Labor no where in sight. Only had 3 "Bathroom" brakes before Labor really kicked in. (Home birth)

I would suggest, if you do take it (When your body is ready that is) Have some french bread on hand to swab the excess out of your mouth. Did that with our second. Much better then having that film in your mouth for hours.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
tryinforthree
Registered Users

Ok, if you are still looking for this... I took it but I was on the other side of the result pool. I mixed it with oj and the first few swallows I gaged then when I finally got it down had cramps from hell for a few hours and was in the bathroom every 5 min but no labor. It tasted like drinking vegetable oil though and is hard to get down.
tryinforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
susie190
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I took it at the advice of my midwife when I was nearly 2 weeks over due. I mixed it in half a chocolate milk shake from mc donalds (a little slimy but not to bad). It did nothing but give me diarrhea. I didn't go into labor until days later after being induced for two days.

Like easy cash why not give Jingit a try.
susie190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I took 1 tablespoon and had the most massive runs and really bad hard contractions for 3 hours and then nothing. I'm still preggo and it was freaking miserable!!! I won't ever try that again
Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
AlainaFrederick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't recommend it - it just made me sick sick sick! My midwife didn't recommend it either. I have to say that babies come when they are good and ready too. That being said you can always try the nipple stimulation as that has worked before for me. It is weird and you really have to rub rub rub for like 20 minutes then stop for 15 then again for 20 for about 4 hours. Shortly after the 3rd hour I was having contractions and baby was born 8 hours later. But again if he wasn't ready he wasn't going to come.
AlainaFrederick is offline   Reply With Quote