Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Katy, found a new one. I wanted to do something with all the leftover holliday cordial cherry trays. Found it!!! Seeds! They are perfect!
Nice! Great idea

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: starting seeds pots :)

I get kinda carried away with the whole waste no, want not thing, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anybody have a tutorial bookmarked for making newspaper pots with a can and newspaper. I was thinking about trying to start a few things this year and have read about this in the past.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom View Post
anybody have a tutorial bookmarked for making newspaper pots with a can and newspaper. I was thinking about trying to start a few things this year and have read about this in the past.
This is the one my mom and I used last year. We did find that they were very hard to keep together though so we tried folding down the tops a bit to make them more sturdy but I ended up tying mine with twine eventually anyway.

http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to...ng-old-newspa/
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
jalbrecht89
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually just buy already started plants to plant in my garden because I'm not so good with seed pots. But I'm going to try it again this year Planning on using egg cartons or yogurt containers. How do you get the "greenhouse" effect to get them to stay moist with these types of containers? Also, when do you all start your seeds and what brand/where do you buy your seeds? Whew! Lots of questions. Sorry, I just can never get mine to do well enough to transplant them and would love all of your inputs.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbrecht89 View Post
I usually just buy already started plants to plant in my garden because I'm not so good with seed pots. But I'm going to try it again this year Planning on using egg cartons or yogurt containers. How do you get the "greenhouse" effect to get them to stay moist with these types of containers? Also, when do you all start your seeds and what brand/where do you buy your seeds? Whew! Lots of questions. Sorry, I just can never get mine to do well enough to transplant them and would love all of your inputs.
I get my seeds at southern exposure seed company and u can put saran wrap on top to make a pseudo green house but Ive never needed to do this
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I just start mine in a large 32oz yougart/cottage cheese/sour cream contain - that way they are huge when I put them out... Never had a problem with it either!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
leila03ash
Registered Users

I live in central Texas. I have tried seeds many times. I can get them to germinate but they die soon after. I have lots of questions:
1. When do you start them?
2. Do you use heat lamps? If so, where did you get them? If not, what light source do you use?
3. Where do your seeds stay one you have started them? Garage? Window? Outside?
4. If they stay indoors what is your set up like? How do you let them drain with out them sitting in standing water?
5. How long do you leave them in the container before transplanting them?
6. How many seeds do you plant per container and then after thinning how many are left?

Wow a lot of questions. Sorry but I never get seeds right and I hate spending so much money on transplants. I would love pictures of your set up if you have some.

Thanks! Ash
leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lemon, orange and grapefruit peels! (Each one cut in half.)
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila03ash View Post
I live in central Texas. I have tried seeds many times. I can get them to germinate but they die soon after. I have lots of questions:
1. When do you start them?
2. Do you use heat lamps? If so, where did you get them? If not, what light source do you use?
3. Where do your seeds stay one you have started them? Garage? Window? Outside?
4. If they stay indoors what is your set up like? How do you let them drain with out them sitting in standing water?
5. How long do you leave them in the container before transplanting them?
6. How many seeds do you plant per container and then after thinning how many are left?

Wow a lot of questions. Sorry but I never get seeds right and I hate spending so much money on transplants. I would love pictures of your set up if you have some.

Thanks! Ash
I would think you could probably direct sew yours as warm as it is in texas.
I usually just put them by a sunny window.
Depending on the seed type and germination rate a will plant about three seeds for every plant that I want so say I want 12 tomato plants I will take twelve pots and plant three seeds per pot (36 seeds total) and once they are up and growing I will thin the weaker looking plants in each pot and will end up with twelve tomato plants.
I read steve Solomons book "gardening when it counts" its a MUST HAVE for any gardener like if I could afford it I would buy one for each of the mama's here in homesteading.lol he says that if at all possible direct sew your seeds in the garden he gives the example of this: say you start your plants indoors 4 weeks befor you plant outside, when it comes time to plant you take your started plants (lets say tomatoes for example) plant those outside but also plant the exact same tomato seeds directly in ground without starting them indoors. He states that the disturbance to the plants of pulling them out of the pots and replanting them sets them back and in two months you won't be able to tell the difference between the ones started outside and the ones you tried to start early because the directly sewed ones will have caught up because they were never stunted my moving them. So he basically says that if you have enough above freezing days (I do here in Oklahoma like well over 100) its best to direct sew but obviously if you only have say 80 frost free days and your growing somethin that needs at least 100 frost free days obviously you need to start indoors. Wow that's long! Sorry!